Forums
Posted By: gardengnome Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 30th Oct 2013 9:23am
Hi
Is there anyone on here or can anyone please recommend someone who will spray the outside of a house with the stuff that stops penetrating damp? The outside is pebble dash

Wallasey area

Any info gratefully received
Many thanks
Posted By: Helles Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 30th Oct 2013 10:15am
I would seek professional advice first. These kind of things can cause more problems than they solve. Ask Beneck to look at it. There would be no obligation and they are genuine people.
Posted By: gardengnome Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 30th Oct 2013 10:48am
Thanks Helles

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 30th Oct 2013 6:31pm
sealing the exterior can result in interstitial damp not being able to escape so remains in the wall and possibly cause damp on the interior.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 30th Oct 2013 8:46pm
You need to take the pebbledash off and inject damproofing into the bricks under pressure. You also need to do this inside after taking off the plaster. You can hire the machine to do the injecting and a drill to drill two holes into each brick.

It's messy but not too difficult. Afterwards you have to replace the pebbledashing with a skirt along the bottom to throw rainwater away just above your new damp course.

I would be very sceptical about anything that is supposed to cure damp by spraying the pebbledash.

On a more optimistic note, are you sure that it's not a simple case of the existing damp course being bridged by soil or a patio laid over it? If that is the case, simply remove whatever is bridging it and you may have solved the problem.
Posted By: Helles Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 30th Oct 2013 9:33pm
I would go along with some of the above. Check around the house that a) the pebble dash doesn't go all the way to the floor, i.e. there should be what is called a bell cast above a couple of brick courses. If you have that, check your ground level is below the damp course. Usually six inches minimum.

Personally I have no faith in injected damp courses that are drilled into brick. There are other ways of doing it these days and are more effective.

On the other hand, you could always go the long way and put a proper damp course in but that is long, and expensive. A metre or so of your plaster would have to come off whatever you do.

As I said, take advice from reputable firms. Costs nowt!
Posted By: beanie65 Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 1st Nov 2013 2:30pm
Originally Posted by Excoriator
You need to take the pebbledash off and inject damproofing into the bricks under pressure. You also need to do this inside after taking off the plaster. You can hire the machine to do the injecting and a drill to drill two holes into each brick.

It's messy but not too difficult. Afterwards you have to replace the pebbledashing with a skirt along the bottom to throw rainwater away just above your new damp course.

I would be very sceptical about anything that is supposed to cure damp by spraying the pebbledash.

On a more optimistic note, are you sure that it's not a simple case of the existing damp course being bridged by soil or a patio laid over it? If that is the case, simply remove whatever is bridging it and you may have solved the problem.

The solution you have given is for rising damp not penetrating damp, penetrating damp is caused by water getting into the cavity and penetrating the interior wall, there are several causes for this happening, my advice is to get someone in to look at it who knows what they are talking about.
As someone said above Beneck are very good.
Posted By: gardengnome Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 2nd Nov 2013 5:36pm
Thanks everybody, appreciate your input.

Posted By: Excoriator Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 2nd Nov 2013 10:40pm
I take Beanie65's point. If you have water getting into the cavity, then you need to find out where its coming from and stop it first of all. It seems unlikely to me that it is coming through the pebbledash.

I think seeking expert advice is the wise course. Perhaps from several sources. Hopefully they will agree as to where the water is getting in. Good luck!
Posted By: dodie Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 4th Nov 2013 9:51am
Hi my cousin owns damp course company in wallasey his contact no is 639 6125 steve evans just say dodie gave you number hope this helps
Posted By: mikeb Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 11th Nov 2013 7:49pm
Make sure its not condensation,many people get fooled into believing its damp.Condensation is rife at this time of year,caused by drying clothes over the radiators,showers etc.upvc windows are not helping this either because no natural air circulation that you used to get from timber windows,houses become like goldfish bowls.

People make the mistake of opening just the one window thinking that the draught from the window would be enough,but alas no.Its been proven that its easier to heat cold dry air than to heat damp air.
Posted By: gardengnome Re: Quote to deal with penetrating damp - 11th Nov 2013 11:32pm
Thanks Mike
Pretty sure it's not condensation.

Thanks for the help everybody - really appreciate you all taking the time to respond
© Wirral-Wikiwirral