Forums
Posted By: Uffda Electrician Wanted - 28th Oct 2013 6:16pm
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a reasonable electrician? The circuit breaker in my house keeps tripping. It's done it about six times over the past two days. When I reset it I can get 10mins to half an hour before it trips again. This morning at 3am I was worrying about it so got up and unplugged everything electrical I could think of except the freezer but it still tripped. I'm about to be out of work again from next week so need someone who's not going to rip me off.
Thanks.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Electrician Wanted - 28th Oct 2013 6:30pm
try this guy clicky
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Electrician Wanted - 28th Oct 2013 7:50pm
Sanchez is your man.

K
Posted By: Uffda Re: Electrician Wanted - 29th Oct 2013 8:42am
Thanks guys, I got almost got three hours before it tripped again last night. I'll pm Sanchez and hopefully he will give me a call.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Electrician Wanted - 2nd Nov 2013 10:43pm
Is there only one circuit breaker? Surely there are ones for lights, another for each power ring and so on. Which one is tripping?
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Electrician Wanted - 2nd Nov 2013 10:50pm
Is there only one circuit breaker? Surely there are ones for lights, another for each power ring and so on. Which one is tripping?

If it's tripping with nothing plugged in and taking power then there is a short circuit somewhere in your wiring which probably means heat. Just to be on the safe side, I'd switch off at night until you can sort it. The breaker is protecting you against excessive current, but I wouldn't trust it if its happening frequently. Once it fails you lose this protection.

Treat it seriously.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Electrician Wanted - 3rd Nov 2013 12:00am
Try and do as much detective work as you can. see if you can cause it to trip by plugging in and switching on certain appliances if its the power circuit or lights if the lighting circuit. Is it happening just at certain times or randomly during the day. Do you have outside security lights, or cabling outside to say pond or garden lights
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Electrician Wanted - 3rd Nov 2013 1:06am
Is 'the' circuit breaker, the bigger one with the T button on it that knocks off everything?.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Electrician Wanted - 3rd Nov 2013 12:02pm
Sorry everyone I hadn't kept an eye on this post. After waiting for two electricians to contact me, I managed to discover the cause myself. I had originally unplugged every appliance I could think of and the circuit breaker still tripped (didn't know there was more than one smirk )
Eventually the penny dropped and I remembered that I had an extension lead going from an outdoor socket to a freezer in the shed. When I checked the lead it had been almost eaten through by a mouse or rat. After I disconnected this lead everything was fine. I was so pleased with myself it was as though I had just invented gene therapy!!!
Anyway I was hoping Sanchez would have got in touch as I would like the name of someone qualified to keep handy in case of emergency. His PM cache was full so I emailed him but maybe he is away on holiday.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral