Forums
Posted By: Sallybear Any Asthmatics on here? - 6th Oct 2013 7:25pm
Any Asthmatics out there been forced to use small Salamol inhalers instead of the normal larger Ventolin ones? The smaller ones make me cough every time I take them, but my GP insists they are the same. I have looked into this and the Salamol ones are propelled by an alcohol solution such as the same SalaMOL and these can cause your throat to react. But seriously I have been asthmatic since being a small child, have grown out of it, and have grown back to it, and I take a variety of inhalers and meds, but my blue inhaler is a total lifeline, this new one is crap.

I spoke to my doctor and he said that Salamol is issued by specific Pharmacies because it is cheaper than Ventolin and that you are not forced to have it you only have to ask, I did this at my chemist but they did not agree so I spoke to my GP and he changed my prescription to reflect the inhaler I normally have but I can only get one a month where I would normally have two.

It's confusing and annoying. Anyone else have a clue what I'm going on about?
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: Any Asthmatics on here? - 9th Oct 2013 9:49am
Hi Sally,just a heads up about inhalers.Iused to be on ventolin and salamol.Recently these were changed to Spiriva,which is a capsule of powder which you insert into the Inhaler yourself.The second one is Seretide which is pre-loaded,its circular,slide it halfway round and theres a lever, click down and get your dose.Try and get them, they're far better than the old ones.Good Luck.
Posted By: severoony Re: Any Asthmatics on here? - 9th Oct 2013 4:12pm
The same thing happened to me. So I made a song and dance about it to the asthma nurse and they changed it back to ventolin. I also found that salbutamol inhalers clog up and you have to wash them, which is not good if your out.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Any Asthmatics on here? - 9th Oct 2013 8:53pm
Thanks Tankrat, I think Spiriva is a more long acting once a day type like Serevent and Seretide. I take Seretide too which is a mix of Serevent and the Steroid Flixatide mixed together. The blue inhalers, which contain Salbutamol are the only instant broncodilators that are used. But with Ventolin, the salbutamol is suspended in a different mixture to salamol. The salamol ones really make me cough but they are cheaper. My GP has agreed to prescribe me the specific one but he isn't happy about the pharmacy making these decisions he says it should be up to the patient.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral