Forums
Posted By: venice Door off hinges - 18th Sep 2013 12:04pm
Does anyone know if its a relatively easy DIY thing to remove a front door off its hinges, to allow better access for a settee to be brought in? Are all the different makes (ie Everest, Anglian,Safestyle etc the same principle for removing and putting back?
Problem is , although the replacement is not a big settee compared to modern ones, access is into a 5ft sq porch and the lounge access is an almost immediate door at rightangles,inside the porch . Used to be a straight into the lounge opening, but it was altered after we moved in.(Think big square with a small square in the corner being porch) We are chopping up the big old broken suite , so that wont be a removal problem, but its a headache knowing whether removal men have 'special' skills at manoevering big items through diffcult doorways --but once youve booked them, you pay whether they can do the job or not. Removing the front door though will definitely give a better chance.
Posted By: Madge Re: Door off hinges - 18th Sep 2013 12:45pm
we had to take our door off the hinges to get an item out last week, its fairly easy, just pop the little black plastic covers off the hinges and unscrew,
Posted By: venice Re: Door off hinges - 18th Sep 2013 2:30pm
Ah thanks Madge, Ill ask OH to try that . If only it turns out to be that easy!!! Only the remaining problem of will settees go round corners or wont they! 'sighs'
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Door off hinges - 18th Sep 2013 3:05pm
could it be taken in to the lounge 'standing up'?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Door off hinges - 18th Sep 2013 9:54pm
Yes the centre pin in the hinge should come out easily enough. Good luck- best done early in day in vcase you need to call in someone to fix!
Wife fell in love with an old glass cabinet and cupboard from a school- we couldnt get it into a room so it was around the back and take out a large double glazed picture window. Had to go out the same when we moved.
good luck
Posted By: Madge Re: Door off hinges - 18th Sep 2013 10:05pm
it was easy, at least for me i watched on the sofa hehe, but seriously all you need is a little strength as they seem to put them screws in tight,
Posted By: venice Re: Door off hinges - 18th Sep 2013 10:12pm
Thats a good question Rudebox ! Thanks.Hadnt considered completely upright. Ill check the height against the length tomorrow - although even if thats ok, its still a mystery to me whether it can be sort of twirled in mid air , a bit like a table with legs being taken through a doorway when you sort of take the first two , then turn, and bring the rest through at an angle. I cant for the life of me , even seeing it upright in my minds eye, think what measurements to take that would give me the answer. Oh, I wonder if I could make a reasonably accurate proportionate model of the settee and porch using cardboard boxes . Hmm, theres a challenge-Ill ponder that tomorrow.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral