Forums
Posted By: Uffda Willow Needed - 24th Aug 2013 3:14pm
It may sound like an odd question but does anyone know where I can cut some willow lengths. I need to make willow wreaths for a Christmas charity project and money is a bit tight to buy any. I'm looking for a tree with accessible young sappy growth that can be manipulated into wreaths. Unfortunately all the local wild willows near me aren't the weeping kind and I'm too old to be climbing trees!
Many thanks.
Posted By: katiechops Re: Willow Needed - 25th Aug 2013 5:29pm
hello uffda, you don't need weeping willow, just common willow, cut the young shoots, coppiced ones are best. use within a week while it's still sappy and flexible.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Willow Needed - 25th Aug 2013 5:41pm
Hi,

Thanks for the advice but I'm just looking for any available willow, not especially weeping but at least that has accessible branches. All the ones local to me are the wild upright type but the branches are too high for me to reach so I was hoping someone here might know of one which I can get at smile
Posted By: granny Re: Willow Needed - 25th Aug 2013 6:24pm
Uffda, I will be having a willow tree cut down from my garden in a few weeks time. It is the upright one that has branches now slightly bending over. I am not sure whether it would be of interest or how much you might need, or if the wood should be dried (probably not) and what thicknesses you need.
I could cut branches before, for you or wait until nearer the end os Sept.
Let me know. Happy to help if it is any good.
Posted By: granny Re: Willow Needed - 25th Aug 2013 7:02pm
Just been out to have a look. There are some short sappy new shoots in reach but not so many. Others I'm sure will be much higher. They may have grown more in a couple of weeks time.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Willow Needed - 26th Aug 2013 4:42pm
Thanks Granny, I'll PM you.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral