Forums
Posted By: derekdwc storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 7:28am
Just been looking in my chest freezer and noticed I had several out of date packages in there which set me thinking about buying some long lasting foods.
In a survival situation no electricity etc which would be the best foods to store for a period of time, maybe years and where could I buy such .
(When we go to the nuclear bunker at Hack Green I'll have to inquire about what they used there)
Posted By: rocks Re: storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 7:43am
i would have thought the best kind of food to store for a long time would be dehydrated goods, i buy dehydrated soya products from the international shop in town
http://www.yelp.com/biz/international-food-store-birkenhead
Posted By: dave_h Re: storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 9:55am
Tinned food
Posted By: dave_h Re: storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 9:56am
10 man rat pack, I've had the peaches out of packs that are years and years old
Posted By: dave_h Re: storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 9:57am
One good way to test if tinned food is bad, throw on a hard floor if it explodes its bad, if it doesn't, dig out
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 10:14am
Tinned food all the way. Or pickled. Ive eaten tinned meat two years out of date with no side effects.

As long as the can is in good condition and sealed properly you should be reet.

Also, try and avoid the cans with ringpull lids as they can be compromised easier. Old fashioned tin opener lids are the way to go.

Lots of Tuna for vitamin D (When living underground), Spam (protein and fat), Beans (Carbs & Protein) , Lots of veggies (In brine will last even longer, this is your vitamin group and you can eat raw) and something containing calcium such as evaporated milk.
Posted By: rocks Re: storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 10:29am
Derek do you know something we dont? next you'll be asking how to build a bunker ha
Posted By: derekdwc Re: storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 2:16pm
Don't want to start everyone panic buying.
The Gov says there's no need to panic - it's just my unsubstantiated opinion
Now where's my tent, sleeping bag and rifle and mustn't forget my pills

Posted By: derekdwc Re: storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 3:31pm
Heinz beans ok?
I've heard somewhere "beans, beans, are good for your heart"
seeyu
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: storing food over a long term - 19th Aug 2013 11:30pm
I had a tin of condensed milk that was 2 years out of date, so I opened it as I was curious to see if it would still be edible. It wasn't. Instead of the creamy, sweet, delicious goo you'd expect, it was brown, solid and stunk of arse.

Don't take condensed milk into your bunker if you expect to be there for a long time smile

© Wirral-Wikiwirral