Forums
Posted By: Christine12 Parking ticket - Asda - 17th Aug 2013 9:09pm
Today my dad got a parking ticket by Asda. He was parked in the small lay-by on the bend on Welton Road (see map). It is double yellow lines but many people park there (there is a car on the google map image) and it's not a lay-by as such but an old factory entrance that has been gone many years. Parking there doesn't cause any obstruction to the highway. It is a council parking ticket and the traffic warden apologised and told my dad to appeal it. Does anyone know the procedure for appealing? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Attached picture parking.jpg
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 17th Aug 2013 9:18pm
I'm pretty sure that instructions as to how to appeal will be printed on the ticket
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 17th Aug 2013 9:21pm
Thank you. I didn't really make myself clear in the first post. What I meant to ask was: is it worth him appealing? Just wondering people's opinions?? Thanks!
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 17th Aug 2013 10:18pm
Originally Posted by Christine12
It is double yellow lines but many people park there.
Many people also speed, does that mean it's ok for everyone else to do it. People know what can happen if they park on double yellow lines, so they have to be prepared to take the punishment.

Does anyone know the procedure for appealing? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Click here for details on how to appeal.
Don't fancy your dads chances, unless he had a blue badge.

Sorry to be so blunt, but next time don't park on double yellow lines, unless you are prepared to pay the fine.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 17th Aug 2013 11:06pm
doubt you'll have any luck appealing it unless the lines aren't complete/finished etc
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 18th Aug 2013 7:48am
As Willo says - yellow lines mean no parking!
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 18th Aug 2013 9:31am
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and your advice. I do agree about yellow lines but I did say I would do some research for him. smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 18th Aug 2013 10:40am
From Street View there could be a case that the lines are broken and not terminated correctly.

On the left side there is at least a 4ft gap in the lines.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ebfhb
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 18th Aug 2013 11:51am
No chance of winning an appeal in my opinion. I also fail to see why anyone would park their when asda has a huge car park.

Also I was misled by the title thread, the ticket was not in asda but a public road.

Sorry for being blunt and hope your dad has learn't a lesson.
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 18th Aug 2013 12:44pm

Sorry but I don,t understand, if your dad wasn't parked in Asda,car park how did he get a ticket from a council traffic warden
Posted By: chriskay Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 18th Aug 2013 3:30pm
Looking at the link Mark posted, if the lines are still as they are in that link, I believe they are unenforceable, for the reasons Mark gave. Definitely worth appealing.
Posted By: uggla Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 18th Aug 2013 9:21pm
I have parked here many times, i dont like parking in Asdas own spaces because of the way some *ssholes think its ok not to drive properly.

Thanks for the heads up anyway.
Posted By: Blueskier Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 19th Aug 2013 10:28am
Surprised your Dad got ticketed here. A warden could sit in the bushes and get a shedload of tickets here.

Anyway, i am not condoning the practice but to check out your rights and basis of appeals have a look at this website. It is excellent with some very knowledgable people posting.
http://forums.pepipoo.com/
Ask your question on that forum and you will have a better understanding of things.
As others have said those lines look unenforcable.
P.S. used to be the entrance to Spectrum printing.
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 19th Aug 2013 1:55pm
Thanks again everyone, much appreciated smile
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 19th Aug 2013 1:59pm
Originally Posted by Mark
From Street View there could be a case that the lines are broken and not terminated correctly.

On the left side there is at least a 4ft gap in the lines.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ebfhb

I haven't been for a look myself in the past couple of days but pretty sure my mum said they have been freshly painted. Thanks tho Mark, much appreciated that you took the time to check this out. I personally would never park there but I think my parents are a bit set in their ways after years of parking here when just running to cash point or for a pint of milk!
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 19th Aug 2013 2:00pm
Originally Posted by uggla
I have parked here many times, i dont like parking in Asdas own spaces because of the way some *ssholes think its ok not to drive properly.

Thanks for the heads up anyway.

No problem, I think many people do - he was just unfortunate that day.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 19th Aug 2013 4:18pm
As far as I recall it is not the yellow lines themselves that matter - it is the Parking resriction signs, of which there must be at least one at each end of the restricted zone. (The yellow lines on the road are just a visual aid!)
So go check for the legal presence of actual signs, on posts!
[Edit]just checked www.gov.uk and apparently that is no longer the case. Sorry! I'm sure it USED to be!
Posted By: reddragon Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 19th Aug 2013 10:25pm
driving past the area this evening there are yellow lines right round it but I never spotted any signs anywhere hope this helps
Posted By: MarkJarvis Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 20th Aug 2013 3:31am
Hold on, so your father parks on double yellow lines and gets a ticket - and he wants to appeal?

Whatever next.
Posted By: Cobby Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 20th Aug 2013 7:00am
From Highway Code section 283.

You MUST NOT wait or park on yellow lines during the times of operation shown on nearby time plates (or zone entry signs if in a Controlled Parking Zone). Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time even if there are no upright signs.

If there are double yellows you can't park there at any time, so no sign needed - the signs only matter if it's a single yellow. And I'd assume the reason for the double yellows there is for vehicular access to the substation. You can see on streetview that there is a removable bollard to allow for this. Maybe they're having a clampdown because someone's turned up to do some work in the substation and hasn't been able to get through.
Posted By: Mark Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 20th Aug 2013 2:41pm
Originally Posted by MarkJarvis
Hold on, so your father parks on double yellow lines and gets a ticket - and he wants to appeal?

Whatever next.

Originally Posted by Christine12
Thank you. I didn't really make myself clear in the first post. What I meant to ask was: is it worth him appealing? Just wondering people's opinions?? Thanks!

I know of two people receiving tickets this week for different circumstances but this topic also states what my friends have said.

The traffic warden on my friends situation and this topic has said each time, just appeal and it will be fine. This to me seems to be there defusing comment. My friend was told a picture had been taken of the offence by the warden and told to appeal and it will be fine.

But when we appealed on line there was no picture as evidence. So I called up smartparking and it was confirmed there was no image with the offence.

What im trying to say is they are telling you what you need to hear to keep it calm regardless if its a pack of lies or not. But its by no means helping with the image we have of them or the job they do.

Rant over lol
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 22nd Aug 2013 7:44am
Google maps shows a substation beyond that little bit of road, and a removable post allowing drive-up access:

http://tinyurl.com/mtt2gqc

Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 22nd Aug 2013 8:01am
No wonder the wardens say "appeal if you want". They cannot cancel a ticket, once issued and so many people sink into aggression if they are told "No". I'm not, in any way, implying your Dad is one of these people by the way.
An appeal looks to be worthwhile as the lines do not have a closing "T" and are not complete across the area which is self evidently not a roadway, at least in the Google.
Posted By: Christine12 Re: Parking ticket - Asda - 23rd Aug 2013 5:26pm
Thanks, the warden said exactly the same to my dad. I feel it is the go-to response, as said, to prevent aggression etc.

I personally feel that if you park on double yellows then you have to accept the consequences but I did say I'd find out what people thought for my dad so thanks again all, much appreciated!!

Originally Posted by Martin1943
No wonder the wardens say "appeal if you want". They cannot cancel a ticket, once issued and so many people sink into aggression if they are told "No". I'm not, in any way, implying your Dad is one of these people by the way.
An appeal looks to be worthwhile as the lines do not have a closing "T" and are not complete across the area which is self evidently not a roadway, at least in the Google.

Thanks Martin, I think the lines have been recently repainted but thanks for taking the time to look it up!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral