Forums
Posted By: angel1368 Graveyards on the wirral - 9th Aug 2013 7:31am
Hi all this may sound pretty morbid but sometimes to clear my head and make me appreciate life i go walking around landacan cemetary, just wondering are there any other nice ones on the wirral please?
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Graveyards on the wirral - 9th Aug 2013 7:45am
Flaybrick cemetary next to Tam o Shanter cottage has to be one of the most stunning graveyards on the wirral, Ive spent a lot of time taking photographs up there
Posted By: bert1 Re: Graveyards on the wirral - 9th Aug 2013 7:46am
List here,

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-service...ths-cemeteries-and-crematoria/cemeteries
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Graveyards on the wirral - 9th Aug 2013 7:50am
Not morbid at all! There is something very peaceful and de-stressing about a quiet, unhurried wander amongst the headstones. Smaller, village/country ones are a great source of local history. Whole generations can be followed.

It puts things into perpective somewhat. We are all here for the merest blink of an eye. A phrase that always lurks in the back of the mind when looking at the dates on the stones is "You're a long time dead !"

Enjoy your graveyard ambles angel1368!
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: Graveyards on the wirral - 11th Aug 2013 7:20am
Friends of Rake Lane cemetery do a walk and talk a couple of times a year. Well worth it. Interesting people buried there. A war hero named Fraser who has a road named after him on the front at New Brighton, Captain Lord (can't remember which ship he was captain of but it was not the Carpathia I think) who was blamed for not getting to the Titanic and saving lives. But, if you read the transcript of the trial, he was to far away and had the coordinates of the position of the Titanic given to him wrongly. His son tried to clear his fathers name but died not being able to do so. A hermit, whose grave stone was funded by the locals of Wallasey Village cos they liked him. The Theotis (wrong spelling) graves. A military grave which has a carved bush hat, rifle, bed roll. And somebody drowned in the Conwy estuary. There is only one crypt in Rake Lane owned by the Anderson family, which are Scandinavian and they visit it once a year. Also visit the church yard on hill at the Liscard end of Claremount Drive. Lot of seafarers buried there. They say that is the oldest surviving grave yard in Wallasey. Flaybrick do regular tours, that is on my list of things to do. Also, all the fancy script and carving is worth taking photos of - because of this day and age and skills we will never match it, so, even I have taken photos of the statues, monuments etc. Sorry to be so boring. I am just a dog walker who appreciates our history even in our graveyards!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Graveyards on the wirral - 11th Aug 2013 8:08am
St Hilarys at Wallasey Village is my favourite, so peaceful and the views from there on a clear day are amazing. One grave I like to visit is Nurse Esther who gave her life to save that of a child. Well worth a visit.
Posted By: spinner1 Re: Graveyards on the wirral - 11th Aug 2013 12:22pm
Hi Angharad.
Stanley Lord was captain of the Californian. His ship was
nearest to Titanic at about 17-20 miles away.After the
disaster he went back to sea,served in WW1 and retired in 1927.
He died in 1962, aged 84.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Graveyards on the wirral - 11th Aug 2013 12:41pm
St Peters, back of the Crossville depot in Rock Ferry, Families from the big house that used to stand behind Northern power tools Rock Ferry. And crew from HMS Conway.
I used to work away a lot and in the evenings while my mates where in the pub I'd spend my time walking around the local cemeteries.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral