Forums
Posted By: ghostly1 Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 12:00pm
Probably been already asked on here but how do i get train tickets for Upton to Stations in Norhwales?? also has anyone done this route before can point out thibgs to look out for and where to change stations at etc?? cheers in advance
Posted By: rossie Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 12:08pm
You buy the ticket on train.If you are going to Rhyl etc you change at Shotton. Otherwise for Shrewsbury etc you change at Wrexham.
It is an hourly service and the guards are very helpful.Leaves Upton around the half hour.
If you have a merseyside pass you only pay from Heswall Hills.
Posted By: Wench Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 12:09pm
We do it a lot. You can get them from Upton, we usually get a train from Heswall as it's closest to me. You have to change at either Shotton or Wrexham.

Arriva Wales is the operator for these journeys. I think we paid £16.20 for a return to Llandudno. Llangollen was about £7 return.

I adore going on the train. Cheaper and quicker than driving and cracking views - what more could you want smile

Arriva Wales - Click Here
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 1:02pm
Sounds great many many thanks for the info and will let you know we get on ;-)
Posted By: Norton Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 1:08pm
You could also take a look at the North Wales Rover Ticket from Arriva.
It's zone based for bus and train across north Wales on a daily basis. Also, it can be used on some other local operator routes and can give discounts on some attractions.

You would need to start within a zone, perhaps from Chester or Wrexham, but that needn't be too expensive.

There are other explorers for longer periods and different parts of Wales, e.g., the Explore Wales Pass.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 1:24pm
Originally Posted by Wench
Arriva Wales is the operator for these journeys. I think we paid £16.20 for a return to Llandudno. Llangollen was about £7 return.

That's a great price, and like you say avoids the hassle of driving and parking up. And gives you the option to have a few good pints of local real ale!
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 3:32pm
I used to get this train all the way into Wrexham from Upton to uni, it's quite a nice run. The only problem is if the train is delayed or cancelled, there isn't even a tannoy to let you know. Very frustrating but thankfully didn't happen too often.
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 4:21pm
Anyone know if bicycles are allowed on the train?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 4:41pm
Llangollen was about £7 return.

Llangollen? I thought the station there closed years ago.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 5:39pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

It's open as a historic (steam) railway, although has no connection to the main lines (yet).

Closest station to it (I think) is Ruabon.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 5:48pm
No charge for bikes on the train to wrexham. Go one way and ride back over the horseshoe pass, crackin views on panorama as well.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 9:12pm
Originally Posted by TheDr

It's open as a historic (steam) railway, although has no connection to the main lines (yet).

Yes, that's what I thought; so, where do you get the £7 return from, Wench; do you go by bus from Ruabon?
Posted By: Wench Re: Trains from Upton to Noth Wales - 29th Jul 2013 11:42pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
[quote=Wench] Llangollen was about £7 return.

Yes, that's what I thought; so, where do you get the £7 return from, Wench; do you go by bus from Ruabon?

Sorry Gents, yes. I was thinking about the destination. I knew what I meant smack
© Wirral-Wikiwirral