Forums
Posted By: Hannahirby What to do with a steel bath?! - 27th Jul 2013 4:40pm
Just in the process of ripping out a bathroom and there's a green suite including a green steel normal size bath which is extremely heavy. Any idea of how to get rid or where? As cant see a way of lifting it down our stairs! Thanks
Posted By: Snodvan Re: What to do with a steel bath?! - 27th Jul 2013 5:03pm
Presuming it is cast iron not steel (which would be rare) the best way is of course to break the bath and take it downstairs in pieces. NOT EASY but ....

Some folk will tell you that cast iron is brittle (it is) and to just bash the bath with a big hammer. I did that for half an hour with no result at all other than a headache.

I did break it eventually by getting an angle grinder with a metal cutting blade and then I cut slits in the bath rim every 12" or so (just on one side was enough). Makes a nasty mess the dust that is created. Then I put a cold chisel into the slot and belted it HARD with a lump hammer. The bath was split into pieces that way and I could get the bits downstairs - STILL HEAVY though.

Then I took the cast iron bits, the lead waste pipe, the taps etc to the scrap place - and received £35. This was about 4 years ago

Snod
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: What to do with a steel bath?! - 27th Jul 2013 6:55pm
You can get it recoated
http://www.yell.com/biz/pimp-my-bath-wirral-901375299/
Posted By: joe79 Re: What to do with a steel bath?! - 27th Jul 2013 10:35pm
good luck with that my friend!
i helped my dad do his bathroom up and there was a cast iron bath in there. we had to smash it up with a pic axe, even when it was in about 12 pieces it was extremely heavy! But as the previous poster says, weigh it in, get something back for it.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: What to do with a steel bath?! - 28th Jul 2013 12:43pm
Alternatively, use the angle grinder to cut the bath in half, add an extra leg to each half so it will stand alone, make a couple of cushions and you have two 'bath' chairs. Look nice in the garden.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: What to do with a steel bath?! - 28th Jul 2013 12:46pm
Hanna does the bath have feet on it?
(i mean like lions feet)
Posted By: Dilly Re: What to do with a steel bath?! - 28th Jul 2013 1:30pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Hanna does the bath have feet on it?
(i mean like lions feet)

Not likely to be what you are thinking of Ste if it is green.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral