Forums
Posted By: chris123 MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 6:24pm
Hi wondered if anyone can help had my corsa mot today its came back with an advisory front sub frame worn . Does anyone know what this is and means and is it an expensive job??
Posted By: Dilly Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 6:47pm
is that the exact wording as in all my years in the trade I have not come across that term.
Posted By: turnip Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 7:12pm
Are you sure it's not the rear subframe bush?
Posted By: turnip Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 7:12pm
or front subframe bush even
Posted By: chris123 Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 7:14pm
The exact wording is Front Sub-frame worn but not seriously weakened
Posted By: reddragon Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 7:32pm
go back to the mot station and ask them to show you whats gone hence the advisory
Posted By: Dilly Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 7:44pm
never heard of one being worn as there are no moving parts to the subframe,front wishbones connected to subframe can suffer wear so maybe they have worded it wrong.
Posted By: chris123 Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 7:51pm
Iv now been told that its what holds the engine up it can be welded but as its a 12 year old car its not worth it and will cost a lot to fit an new one . just dont know what to do part ex it with full mot and 6 months tax or wait till next year it fail and might have to be scrapped .
Posted By: DavidB Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 8:52pm
If it works, keep it! 12 years old? That's newer than anything I've owned! It's not old at all!
Posted By: TheDr Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 9:05pm
Have to agree with Dilly, how can a subframe be worn ?

The bushes could be worn, but that's not enough to scrap a car.

You say it can be welded, if the subframe was cracked and needed welding it would fail the MOT.

Just go back and ask them what they mean by that phrase.

What car is it ?
Posted By: chris123 Re: MOT Advisory - 10th Jul 2013 9:16pm
Its a corsa 2001 .Yes i am gonna go back tomorrow and get them to explain they didnt even tell me it had an advisory i noticed it when i got back home . it had already failed on steering rack lights and brake cables.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: MOT Advisory - 11th Jul 2013 9:25pm
I suspect its corroded or its major components are worn but not to the point where it can fail an MOT.

There are certain things that you should be aware of as the owner / driver of the vehicle, that may require attention in the future, but at present doesnt warrant failing the MOT test.

The MOT testers can also use an advisory to cover themselves - its better for them to note these things and not fail the car, rather than not mention them and just pass it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: MOT Advisory - 11th Jul 2013 9:41pm
Originally Posted by chris123
Hi wondered if anyone can help had my corsa mot today its came back with an advisory front sub frame worn . Does anyone know what this is and means and is it an expensive job??

It's a corsa?

Anyway, there won't be anything to worry about here, your car has a lot more life left in it yet.

Take the above members advise.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral