Forums
Has anybody else noticed so many black tubes across the roads in Wallasey and Birkenhead counting the traffic? Does anybody know why?
I have seen a lot of them recently.

I always had a thought that they were to measure average speeds to indicate potential sites for traffic control measures like speed cameras and bumps.

They could just be counting axles to get indications of the amount of traffic roads get so as to calculate wear and tear. But if they were just counting axles they wouldn't need 2 tubes (distance between tubes/time = speed) would they?
Probably gonna cost us whatever it is
Probably recording traffic in and out of New Brighton. You can't move down there weekends any more. Summer looks like it will be hot to trot. I live in New Brighton and have given up already.
They are all over the place, not just New Brighton.
Also seen on the motorcycle lane at the toll booth of the Wallasey tunnel and Victoria St., Liverpool.

Two lines can not only give speed, but also direction and determine the number of axles. It all depends on what's in the box on the pavement.

In all honesty, it is just probably a traffic count - well that's what it says on the box...
It's a traffic count ready to identify the areas on the Wirral they are going to set up for congestion charging (it costs money to collect so is only worth doing in areas with a high volume of traffic). This will be introduced when they start charging tolls for the M53 (the main reason all the roundabouts now have ( or will soon have) traffic lights on them).
Ianbix, is that fact or just your own theory?
1:
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Probably recording traffic in and out of New Brighton. You can't move down there weekends any more. Summer looks like it will be hot to trot. I live in New Brighton and have given up already.

i agree, despite the fact i live here, i've given up going down there, half of birkenhead ends up down there (and the dips) on a nice day, it was once a nice place to go on a nice day because it was quite empty, not anymore.

2:
Originally Posted by ianbx1
It's a traffic count ready to identify the areas on the Wirral they are going to set up for congestion charging (it costs money to collect so is only worth doing in areas with a high volume of traffic). This will be introduced when they start charging tolls for the M53 (the main reason all the roundabouts now have ( or will soon have) traffic lights on them).

a] roundabouts with traffic lights is a stupid idea
b] why then are these stupid boxes on not so busy roads such as belvidere road in liscard
c] tolls for the M53 will be a silly idea, the side streets will just get busy as f**k.
d] there should be one on Warren Drive, and a couple of speed cameras, boy-racers treat this road like a drag strip. there's been countless times i've nearly been hit or other people have nearly been hit. there's a childrens nursery on this road at the crest of the hill and i've seen utter kno*heads go past at at least 60mph while kids are around, it's stupid, in fact, i'm now going to write to the council and police and actually ask them to put speed cameras up here or at least an undercover patrol a few evenings a month.
wondered if it was to do with this new high voltage elecy cable coming ashore near Meols and running across the wirral to Connahs Quay. Lots of fields and country lanes have had new fencing and gates put up to contain the work traffic. Weve had warning signs up about delays (near Arrowe PArk). Wondered if its to see where people try and take evasive action of the traffic queues which the council can then try and charge the Elecy company with for damage to roads.
These are the locations and figures for 2012.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/traffic-counts/cp.php?la=Wirral
© Wirral-Wikiwirral