Forums
Posted By: TishKing Architect designer in the Wallasey area?? - 13th Jan 2013 6:29pm
Hi,

Thinking about doing a small extension converting and extending our utility room into the kitchen.

Can anybody recommend an architect designer in the Wallasey area to draw some plans and hopefully give us maybe some ideas we didn't think about so that we can get accurate quotes from builders.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Architect designer in the Wallasey area?? - 14th Jan 2013 10:32pm
Hi Tishking. I was a Building Estimator and surveyor. Thing to watch nowadays is any work involving extending/altering your existing electrics. I think qualified electricians need to look at your whole house electrics at the same time and may not extend off them unless you have a complete or partial rewire of the entire property--this could add another couple of grand to cost. If your existing electrics are ok then should not be a problem. Drainage alterations if needed can also bump up the price.
Also get a couple of prices from architects--wont necessarily be cheaper if just from wallasey
Posted By: TishKing Re: Architect designer in the Wallasey area?? - 15th Jan 2013 8:29pm
Thanks fo the advice. Will bear it in mind although it is a small project so I'm hoping that it will be straightforward. Thanks
Posted By: PhilyMc Re: Architect designer in the Wallasey area?? - 16th Jan 2013 11:30am
What type of design work are you looking at?
ie extent of drawings etc??
Posted By: TishKing Re: Architect designer in the Wallasey area?? - 16th Jan 2013 5:39pm
I am not too sure to be honest but I don't think it would be too complicated. the plan is to extend the utility room by about 2m x 3m and converting it into a kitchen and taking the wall down between actual kitchen and dinng room (load bearing wall).
By the sounds of it, you won't need planning permission as it should be a permitted development. I am assuming it will be to the rear of the property and built similar to existing house. Look at planningportal.gov.uk for more information. If it is permitted I would always recommend sending plans into the council and get in writing that you do not need planning permission.

You will of course need Building Regulation approval, and would need engineer calcs for the new beam to support the load.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral