Forums
Posted By: DanLongman Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 1:39pm
What do you reckon to be Wirral's most ugly or out of place building? There has be some but I'm struggling to think. Must have rose-tinted specs on
wink
Posted By: bert1 Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 1:50pm
St Lego, formally known as St Catherine's.
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 6:53pm
Concourse in West Kirby.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 7:09pm
Originally Posted by nidgynoo
Concourse in West Kirby.
It's doomed anyway because of the budget cuts,the medical centre is being flattened and rebuilt over the road next to the garage.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 7:49pm
Originally Posted by bert1

i think the new st. caths looks nice (coming from someone who works there)

i'd have to say the most out of place building is Fort perch rock, it's a fantastic building but with all the redevelopment down there, something of such history looks out of place now

but the award for the most UGLY building for me goes to the Lauries Centre in birkenhead
Posted By: Shambo Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 8:56pm
SS Peter & Pauls, New Brighton. Grade II listed, 1930's, cheap brick monolith... with a dome.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 9:54pm
I would have said, New Brighton was the ugly part of Wirral now, Fort Perch Rock still stands out as a beautiful building, seeing it was there BEFORE New Brighton but then Iam a bit biased

happy
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 10:02pm
Originally Posted by jawide
Originally Posted by bert1

i think the new st. caths looks nice (coming from someone who works there)

i'd have to say the most out of place building is Fort perch rock, it's a fantastic building but with all the redevelopment down there, something of such history looks out of place now

but the award for the most UGLY building for me goes to the Lauries Centre in birkenhead

I hope Fort Perch Rock is a listed building and stays there forever though, despite it looking out of place with all the modern development.
(I often wonder, in years to come what will be left of all the modern buildings that are thrown up using breeze blocks and corrugated steel? They're hardly going to stand the test of time are they!)

And to stay on topic, ugly building(s) for me would be what is going to be at Wirral Waters judging by the artists impressions. They don't look so good
Posted By: davew3 Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 10:33pm
Fort Perch Rock is a Grade II* building, it's a shame really, most people on the Wirral don't know anything about the building and get a surprise when they visit the museums, it does get visitors from all around the world,including people last April making horror a film for India.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 31st Dec 2012 11:25pm
Ill be doing a narrated FPV flight over the forte soon. Can't wait.

St Caths is a good one tho, the lauries gaff is pants too.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 1st Jan 2013 2:39am
Originally Posted by davew3
Fort Perch Rock is a Grade II* building, it's a shame really, most people on the Wirral don't know anything about the building and get a surprise when they visit the museums, it does get visitors from all around the world,including people last April making horror a film for India.

I admit I don't really know a huge amount about the fort either, but hubby and I visited in December 2011 when we were home for Christmas. The owner (Duggie?) opened up the museum for us to have a look around and only charged us a fraction of the entrance fee as we had no change and nor did he. Loads of memorabilia of the ships built at Lairds (which was nice for my husband as his dad used to work there)
I hope the revamp of New Brighton brings more folk in who take the time to visit the fort & museum and also that it remains a landmark for a very long time to come
Posted By: Tatey Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 1st Jan 2013 10:09am
The two annexes for Wallasey Town Hall.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 1st Jan 2013 11:43am
The new flats by the farmers arms in wallasey village
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 1st Jan 2013 3:55pm
Have to agree with Bert, what a monstrosity the new St Caths is.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 1st Jan 2013 4:39pm
Originally Posted by Wheels
Ill be doing a narrated FPV flight over the forte soon. Can't wait.

If it's a Tuesday or Friday let's know we will give you a wave.

The building I could never get to grips with is the finance building in Cleveland st and those buildings up by St James church opposite the police station.
Posted By: jenscho Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 1st Jan 2013 10:22pm
The new asda in Birkenhead is properly ugly!!
Posted By: TheDr Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 2nd Jan 2013 12:02am
Originally Posted by jenscho
The new asda in Birkenhead is properly ugly!!

Agreed, all the pictures that were shown of how it "would" look made out it was a monster of glass. Not a sodding great breeze block dumped on the traffic lights.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 2nd Jan 2013 12:24am
Originally Posted by saltytom
The new flats by the farmers arms in wallasey village

Have to agree and we don't need any betting shops especially in Wallasey village.

I shudder to think what they will build on the old classic cars site which was demolished due to the greedy owners demanding far too much rent.
Originally Posted by _Ste_

I shudder to think what they will build on the old classic cars site which was demolished due to the greedy owners demanding far too much rent.

There is already a planning application with the council to build a Tesco convenience store on the site. It will be considered (ie rubber stamped) by the council later this month but there is still time to register an objection if you think this is a bad idea.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 2nd Jan 2013 2:37pm
It aint ugly but I think that CSA building at Woodside is a travesty. Civil Service having prime sites with the best vistas and all supported by the tax payer when it should be paying companies having the site and putting money into the coffers instead of taking it out. Most inappropriate, it's about time our lords and masters started getting real.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 2nd Jan 2013 3:57pm
Surely the Civil Servants who work there are taxpayers aren't they ??
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 2nd Jan 2013 7:40pm
Any shop that has steel shutters out front. So attractive.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 2nd Jan 2013 10:03pm
Originally Posted by Sneezy
Surely the Civil Servants who work there are taxpayers aren't they ??

that's what i thought too
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 2nd Jan 2013 10:07pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV

That's the world we have to live in.....unfortunately !!!
Posted By: j_demo Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 2nd Jan 2013 10:16pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV

can you name something as secure that looks better???
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 3rd Jan 2013 3:52pm
This is an "ugly buildings" thread isn't it?
Can anyone deny that all these fortified shops these days make the whole area look absolutely horrible?
Of course I know they are deemed necessary these days for security (and presumably to keep the insurance premiums down) but do they really have to be so darned fugly, with seemingly no regard whatsoever to aesthetics, what they make the place look like?
And it may be further OT, but I have to wonder, do they really stop crime? or do they just make it a bit harder to break in (or do they just instead do the crime while the shops are actually open for business?)
Maybe if someone could come up with something to deter robbers that looked a bit better, it might make it seem just a bit less like Gotham City!
Posted By: shellsuit Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 4th Jan 2013 12:54pm
St Caths is awful and so is the lilac block of flats in Liscard.

Are these guys tripping who decide to paint buildings these colours, or maybe they have small children who love Balamory?
Posted By: Zubee Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 4th Jan 2013 9:11pm
Originally Posted by shellsuit
St Caths is awful and so is the lilac block of flats in Liscard.

Are these guys tripping who decide to paint buildings these colours, or maybe they have small children who love Balamory?

The lilac colour of Liscard House was chosen by the residents smile
never liked Bebington Library much.

Attached picture bebington library.jpg
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: Most ugly buildings Wirral has to offer - 5th Jan 2013 8:53am
This place on Borough Road, Does anyone know it's history, surely that wouldn't be built for residential purposes??

Attached picture uglyhouse.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral