Forums
Posted By: Finney Connecting a notebook to a Television - 12th Nov 2012 6:42pm
Need a bit of advice on this little project. My daughter has a HDTV and wants to connect her notebook to it so she can use the TV as a large monitor and also to watch netflix. Her notebook only has usb and vga outlets, no HDMI outlet. I have found a 1080P USB Laptop PC to HDMI Video Adapter Converter 3.5mm Audio Cable HD TV LCD on ebay but its £24, does anyone know of a cheaper / easier way.
Posted By: Rambo Re: Connecting a notebook to a Television - 12th Nov 2012 8:21pm
Might be a silly question but has the telly not got a VGA socket? I thought almost all the new ones did.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Connecting a notebook to a Television - 12th Nov 2012 9:21pm
Newer TV's have HDMI connections which is much better ... I connect my laptop to a 43" screen. Nice.

I wonder if you can buy VGA to HDMI connectors?
Posted By: Finney Re: Connecting a notebook to a Television - 13th Nov 2012 9:41am
Rambo, yes TV has a vga port, but if I connect the notebook to the TV with a vga to vga lead you only get a picture and no sound.
Paulwirral, Will have a look for a vga to HDMI lead, hopefully that will produce picture and sound
Posted By: TheDr Re: Connecting a notebook to a Television - 13th Nov 2012 10:38am
Hi

First of all, there are (complicated) ways to do anything, but this is in general.

You can get convertor boxes from VGA to HDMI, but you can't just use a straight cable, as VGA is Analogue, and HDMI is digital.

You might be able to use a VGA to DVI-A connector if your TV supports it (there are two main types of DVI, this only works with DVI-Analogue).

VGA will not carry the sound, even on a convertor box or DVI cable.

If your TV has VGA then you can always use a VGA cable to connect them for picture, and a 3.5mm (headphone jack) to 2x Phono (on your TV) to give you the audio. (This cable will cost you between £1 and £4 depending on length from a local computer shop I can't name)

Hope that helps, pm me if you need a hand.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Connecting a notebook to a Television - 13th Nov 2012 2:37pm
Easiest solution to this problem is to use a VGA cable to connect the video and (Depending on the TV) 2.5mm Jack to 2.55mm jack / 2.55mm to Phono and use that for audio. Each lead is around £2 on ebay.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Connecting a notebook to a Television - 13th Nov 2012 2:37pm
Ahhh, read the Dr. I didnt, hence the same info.
Posted By: Finney Re: Connecting a notebook to a Television - 13th Nov 2012 2:39pm
Dr, thanks for the advice, I will pop in to "a local computer shop" and pick one up. I think my closest is near the Rockvilla public house.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral