Forums
Posted By: Kmj88 fridge compressor advice - 31st Oct 2012 3:08pm
Hello wondered if anyone here could give me some advice....

I have an LG American fridge freezer which is just over a year old. Last week it stopped working thankfully its got a two year warranty. Today LG sent an engineer out to look at it. He has said it needs a new compressor and its going to be about another week until its fixed. 2 weeks without a fridge with a young child is hard going!

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to if this is a common problem and it likely to go again in another year? Just want to see if I have a case to try and get a new fridge rather than them fixing this one? I don't think I could trust it not happening again and losing yet more money on food
Posted By: julie253 Re: fridge compressor advice - 31st Oct 2012 6:52pm
I just put a post on about mine too. Although we have had ours for about 4 years with no problems so we have either been lucky or you unlucky!! I was told by my insurance company that if the freezer is broken then we can claim for the food we have lost, which I estimated to be about £150, so it may be worth asking your insurers if you are covered. Hope that helps. I'm hoping someone on here can recommend someone. Julie x
Posted By: Tatey Re: fridge compressor advice - 31st Oct 2012 7:54pm
Kml88,

When I was a child we didn't have a fridge & we survived. Particularly now the weather is so cold I am sure you could keep stuff outside for as long as you would have done in the fridge.
So cook & eat what is in the freezer first. Most compressor units last for years.
Posted By: Kmj88 Re: fridge compressor advice - 31st Oct 2012 9:37pm
Originally Posted by Tatey
Kml88,

When I was a child we didn't have a fridge & we survived. Particularly now the weather is so cold I am sure you could keep stuff outside for as long as you would have done in the fridge.
So cook & eat what is in the freezer first. Most compressor units last for years.

Unfortunately both the fridge and freezer started blowing out warm air when it went it also happened at night so we didn't realise for hours. All food was completely ruined.
Posted By: Kmj88 Re: fridge compressor advice - 31st Oct 2012 9:40pm
Originally Posted by julie253
I just put a post on about mine too. Although we have had ours for about 4 years with no problems so we have either been lucky or you unlucky!! I was told by my insurance company that if the freezer is broken then we can claim for the food we have lost, which I estimated to be about £150, so it may be worth asking your insurers if you are covered. Hope that helps. I'm hoping someone on here can recommend someone. Julie x

We do have cover but Im not to sure its worth the premium increase tho. I'm not so bothered about the food its more the fact a 14 month fridge has packed in. And Im being told its comets problem by LG and LG's problem by comet.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: fridge compressor advice - 31st Oct 2012 9:56pm
it's comets problem, they sold it to you.
Posted By: Salmon Re: fridge compressor advice - 1st Nov 2012 8:38am
Sorry to be a Job's comforter but...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ministration-6000-jobs-under-threat.html
© Wirral-Wikiwirral