Forums
Posted By: jmike employer expects you to pay - 9th Oct 2012 9:41pm

Hi Folks.

Just wondering what peoples views on if an employer was to deduct payment from an employee if some one else steals from a company so to recover the cost of the loss?

I'm thinking of petrol garage staff, and they have a DRIVE OFF. a person drives away without paying.. does the garage owner have any right to recover the cost of the fuel from the employee on the till whilst the drive off happened.

If it were me and the employer deducted an amount from my wages and would not return it. i would sue the employer, As i am not responsible for some one else's unlawful actions.

Whats your thoughts

cheers.

Posted By: sunnyside Re: employer expects you to pay - 9th Oct 2012 9:48pm
i totally agree with you.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: employer expects you to pay - 9th Oct 2012 9:52pm
If an employer does try anything along these lines might I suggest you bend him/her over the nearest table and fook them back.
Posted By: jmike Re: employer expects you to pay - 9th Oct 2012 9:54pm
That's Dirty Sanchez. LOL
Posted By: Sanchez Re: employer expects you to pay - 9th Oct 2012 9:55pm
I know but I really dislike people taking advantage.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: employer expects you to pay - 9th Oct 2012 10:06pm
like your style sanchez lol.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: employer expects you to pay - 9th Oct 2012 10:26pm
This has been brought up before, it's not uncommon for garages to use this practice.
It's to ensure staff are alert at all times however I think it's wrong.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: employer expects you to pay - 9th Oct 2012 10:37pm
Its prob correct Ste, they just do it to keep staff alert but I can't see how being alert will stop someone driving off.

Companies are insured for things like this anyway as it falls under theft surely?
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: employer expects you to pay - 10th Oct 2012 2:07am
If there were more pumps that you have to put your card into to pay for it or alternatively if using cash you have to pay for your petrol before you put it in your car, there would be less drive offs. Here in USA if you pay cash first, the attendant can set the petrol pump to the amount you've paid for so you can't take more even if you try and from what I can tell, there are few if any people who drive away without paying.
It doesn't seem fair to penalise the person on the till by docking their wages.
Posted By: MATTSVM Re: employer expects you to pay - 10th Oct 2012 5:53am
In the nineties I worked for a petrol station contractor and used to see this happen on a regular basis in Liverpool , one garage attendant in Liverpool had that many drive offs in one week he actually had no wages left and owed his boss money!! Another attendant in Liverpool used to grab a tin off the shelf in the shop if he saw someone attempt to drive off run onto the forecourt and throw it at the car .... They'll have to pay for a new f.... Windscreen now the b....stards.... Lol
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: employer expects you to pay - 10th Oct 2012 1:04pm
In portugal you have to pay up front before you get your petrol.They Have pumps where you can put your card in and pay..Plus in most of the garage when i stay in the algrave they had staff who would put it in for you..
Posted By: newbrightonier Re: employer expects you to pay - 11th Oct 2012 3:55pm
Its unlawful to make anything other than statutory deductions from salary (eg Tax, NI etc) without the employees signed consent.

I would take legal advice.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral