Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 1:41pm
About 20 minutes ago I seen a huge bomber looking ww2 plane fly across the river Mersey as I was coming up mount road.

It was massive!

Did anyone else see it?
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 1:45pm
It'll be something to do with the Southport Airshow probably.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 2:00pm
Thanks sneezy, didn't know there was an air show on.
happy
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 2:18pm
There were a couple of jets flying quite low up to Southport and crossed the river over Wallasey yesterday.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 2:48pm
I took this yesterday on New Brighton prom. There where two of them.

Attached picture jet.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 3:32pm
could have something to do with the southport air show. lovley sight i'd say
Posted By: Joan24 Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 4:38pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
I took this yesterday on New Brighton prom. There where two of them.

Wow good picture! Just came here to find out why they were flying over, just saw them now passing over the house and saw them yesterday. Pretty impressive jets. Are they the Tornado's? smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 4:46pm
5.24 today a tremendous roar passed down the river and scared both me and the cats , probably the Vulcan bomber going home, unbeleivable sound!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 5:35pm
joan..tornados are out of service now. think they might be the euro fighter typhoon, thats whats out in afghan for us..
Posted By: Joan24 Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 5:59pm
Oh right It does look a bit like the eurofighter smile. Be amazingto fly in one grin
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 6:18pm
It looks like a Panavia Tornado GR4. Could be wrong.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 6:23pm
Originally Posted by markw2621
joan..tornados are out of service now. think they might be the euro fighter typhoon, thats whats out in afghan for us..

markw2621, there's loads of Tornado squadrons.....

GR1
No. 16 Squadron No. 17 Squadron No. 20 Squadron No. 27 Squadron No. 45 (Reserve) Squadron
GR4
No. 9 Squadron No. 12 Squadron No. 14 Squadron No. 15 (Reserve) Squadron No. 31 Squadron No. 617 Squadron
GR4A
No. 2 Squadron No. 13 Squadron
F3
No. 5 Squadron No. 11 Squadron No. 23 Squadron No. 25 Squadron No. 29 Squadron No. 43 Squadron No. 56 (Reserve) Squadron No. 65 (Reserve) Squadron No. 111 Squadron
Posted By: Joan24 Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 6:37pm
yewgarth that is exactly what i saw! it didn't have the weird flappy bits at the front like the eurofighter does (sorry I don't know the technical term) and it had the same overall shape etc.
Posted By: granny Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 6:44pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Thanks sneezy, didn't know there was an air show on.
happy

Asleep, yet again Ste!

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/722829/Southport_Airshow.html#Post722829
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 7:28pm
sorry everyone, when i say there out of service it does not mean you might not see one, especially with an airshow so local. but there not aircraft doing it for us nowadays..
Posted By: j_demo Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 9:10pm
They weren't eurofighter typhoons as they didn't have the small wings at the front under the cockpit
Posted By: ThatChap Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 9:47pm
the WW2 bomber will have been the Lancaster from the BattleOfBritain Memorial Flight - there should have been a spitfire and a hurricane with it. The photo is of a Tornado GR4 - there were indeed a pair at the airshow. There was also a single Eurofighter typhoon earlier, and a visit from teh sole flying Vulcan.

Tornados are very much in active service - it was the Harrier that got (prematurel) canned in the defence review/
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 10:07pm
Originally Posted by ThatChap
the WW2 bomber will have been the Lancaster from the BattleOfBritain Memorial Flight - there should have been a spitfire and a hurricane with it. The photo is of a Tornado GR4 - there were indeed a pair at the airshow. There was also a single Eurofighter typhoon earlier, and a visit from teh sole flying Vulcan.

Tornados are very much in active service - it was the Harrier that got (prematurel) canned in the defence review/

Confirmed; Tornado still in service. I used to fly occasionally in Lancasters: 10,000 rivets flying in close formation.
The small forward winglets are called the canard configuration; they improve manoeuvrability but can only be flown under computer control.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Bomber plane - 9th Sep 2012 10:23pm
Originally Posted by ThatChap

withthat
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bomber plane - 10th Sep 2012 7:52am
well it just shows you...i really do know nothing...iam keeping quiet in future...lol
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Bomber plane - 10th Sep 2012 11:39am
Just brush up on your aircraft recognition, easy peasy.

laffin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bomber plane - 10th Sep 2012 1:17pm
no bandy iam leaving it all to you experts iam sticking to "what you eating today" think thats about my heavy...lol
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Bomber plane - 10th Sep 2012 2:19pm
Nice one mark. I keep recognising all the old planes when they come on the tele. I did 23 in the RAF so should be able to recognise some of them anyway, saddo.
Have a good 'un.
Posted By: dippy Re: Bomber plane - 10th Sep 2012 2:46pm
I was walking down rock lane towards rock park yesterday about 4pm and saw a massive black/grey plane flying very low along the river. Weird, it was silent though. That the vulcan?
Posted By: ThatChap Re: Bomber plane - 10th Sep 2012 5:49pm
Time would have been about right - was it a delta wing (ie big triangle)? If so, it would have been the vulcan - very disctinctive :-)
Posted By: chriskay Re: Bomber plane - 10th Sep 2012 6:14pm
First time I've heard the Vulcan described as "silent". It's normally just about the loudest aircraft flying.
Posted By: dippy Re: Bomber plane - 14th Sep 2012 6:05pm
I dunno,it was kinda rounded at the top. Had to double take cos i didnt hear anything i wasnt sure it was a plane. But yeah, it was a big triangle :-D
Posted By: SpamEater Re: Bomber plane - 16th Sep 2012 7:55pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
First time I've heard the Vulcan described as "silent". It's normally just about the loudest aircraft flying.

The wind can blow sound waves away and objects can block it .. maybe the wind was blowing away from the witness and there was buildings between it and him.

Talking of over-flights, I was once by the garden festival site on those new housing estates when a god awful racket drew closer. I looked heaven-wards to see 3 Shackletons flying very low in a V formation making a noise like only 146 cylinders firing sequentially could.

When they were being withdrawn, did they do a tour of the UK? If so, I caught that as they flew towards Speke airport/Widnes.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral