Forums
Posted By: Colt743 Employment Law? Bank Holidays, etc.... - 17th Aug 2012 8:10am
I'm hoping someone with the know how could educate me if possible.

The company I work for makes the staff work bank holidays although my contract states that the company gives 20 days paid holiday a year and recognizes 8 bank holidays.

Now I have been told a few things and I'm sure someone on here is clued up a lot more than me.

I've been told that I cant refuse to work if they offer me a day in lieu, Is this the same case if they will pay overtime? And would i get to choose what I would like out of a day in lieu or the overtime, or is it down to the company?

I have pointed out my contract to my assistant manager and he took the hump with me and said he can get my contract amended to take away the statement about the bank holidays.

Would he need me to sign an amendment to contract for that, and what happens if I refuse? And lastly would they be allowed to just take away something like that off a contract?

Thanks in advance
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Employment Law? Bank Holidays, etc.... - 17th Aug 2012 8:54am
as far as i know, a contract can only be changed by mutual consent.

ring acas for advice or pop into cab

both free services
Posted By: Salmon Re: Employment Law? Bank Holidays, etc.... - 17th Aug 2012 8:59am
Some info on Citizens Advice site but it may well be worth trying to sort it with your boss before you do anything drastic.
So much of this kind of disagreement can easily be sorted by talking.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_time_off_work_e/bank_and_public_holidays.htm
Posted By: Mark Re: Employment Law? Bank Holidays, etc.... - 17th Aug 2012 11:45am
Ring up Acas they will inform you too.
I had a similar beef with a change of hours.

If there is no agreement to new hours then i would have to be made redundant. My boss met me half way.

Your Assistant manager hasnt a clue.
So dont waste time with him.

Ring Acas :0845 7474747
They are really helpfull, and matter of fact.
So if the glove dont fit it wont.

Posted By: Colt743 Re: Employment Law? Bank Holidays, etc.... - 17th Aug 2012 11:56am
Thank you very much for the reply guys.......

And Mark thanks again, I will give them a call next chance I get!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral