Forums
Posted By: Rort71 O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2012 11:27am
My recollection is that this shop was part way down Exmouth Street on the right as you progressed from Claughton Road to the junction of Watson/Conway street? My younger friend is convinced it was on the opposite side of the street. Has any body got photos?
Posted By: davew3 Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2012 12:19pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...owther_Fox_craven_street.html#Post274551

If you look on the pic looking down to the Ecky pub ,Okell's was half way down.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2012 3:09pm
Haven't got any photos but it was deffo half way down on the right walking down from Claughton Road.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2012 3:29pm
The rights have it, deffo indeedee.
Posted By: cmw2a Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2012 5:04pm
O'Kells was at the top of Exmouth Street, where the fire station is/was. (I believe even that's been pulled down now). It was definitely on the left, going down away from Claughton Road towards Conway Street. It was a brilliant shop, especially for baby layettes!
Posted By: sunnyside Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2012 5:10pm
you are tight cmw2a i used to work there and the one in new ferry everything used to be in brown leather boxes with a leather strap around to hold the lid on. everytime someone wanted socks you had to empty the boxes and spread the goods on the counter we used to have stuff hanging up outside and in boxes outside great stuff great days must be around 65 when i worked there
Posted By: Sneezy Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2012 5:19pm
Re: O'Kells Exmouth Street
iT WAS ON RIGHT GOING DOWN ORINGINALLY AND THEN IT MOVED OVER TO OTHER SIDE AS SHOPS STARTED TO BE PULLED DOWN
Posted By: Rort71 Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2012 5:44pm
Seems like O'Kell was on both sides of Exmouth Street at different times-thanks for all replies.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 9th Aug 2012 5:46pm
i remember it on the right when i worked there but that was over 40yrs ago, so can't argue hahaha
Posted By: Greybeard Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 10th Aug 2012 10:15am
O'Kells was on the left of Exmouth Street, where the fire station is now.
Posted By: Greybeard Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 10th Aug 2012 10:23am
I am going back in time to the mid to late fifties regarding the location of O'kells when it was on the left going towards Conway Street.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 10th Aug 2012 10:46am
a bit before my time greybeard,lol, do you remember the one in new ferry ??
Posted By: Ollyolly Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 11th Aug 2012 8:53am
What memories the name O'Kells brought back to me. I am 85 years old and I am sure when I was a child it was on the left side of the street. I, too, remember the lovely baby sets hanging outside. There used to be an iron drinking fountain set into the wall with an iron cup attached to a chain somewhere in that area. Can you imagine such a thing today?

Since I am not in England, I don't know what the area looks like today, so can't compare.

This is my first post.
Posted By: bert1 Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 11th Aug 2012 10:32am
1951, phone book

Address puts it on the left going down from Charing Cross

Attached picture okells.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 11th Aug 2012 10:49am
To save any arguments, in the 1971 phone book it was the other side of the road.

Attached picture okells 71.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 11th Aug 2012 10:59am
To add, 1933, phone book, they where in Grange Rd.

Attached picture 1933.jpg
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 11th Aug 2012 11:13am
That settled that one then bert, jolly well done.
Remember both the Exmouth St shops now, but Grange Rd out of my lifespan. Roll on the next memory expanding question.
Posted By: Zubee Re: O'Kells Exmouth street Birkenhead - 11th Aug 2012 5:34pm
Originally Posted by Ollyolly
What memories the name O'Kells brought back to me. I am 85 years old and I am sure when I was a child it was on the left side of the street. I, too, remember the lovely baby sets hanging outside. There used to be an iron drinking fountain set into the wall with an iron cup attached to a chain somewhere in that area. Can you imagine such a thing today?

Since I am not in England, I don't know what the area looks like today, so can't compare.

Welcome Ollyolly! 85 and on the wiki webisite, nice one thumbsup

This is my first post.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral