Forums
Posted By: deano_mc Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 3:43pm
Hi does anyone know of a cheap way to hire a mini bus for 10 people on the Wirral? I've tried a few youth clubs but they are not able to help on these dates, and all the bigger named companies are asking for far too much. Any advice would be great, many thanks.
Posted By: bigtalk2011 Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 3:54pm
i hired one from hollywood van hire ellesmere port they are pretty cheap give them a try
Posted By: deano_mc Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 3:57pm
Thanks but they only have one and it's booked out unfortunately
Posted By: dave_h Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 4:28pm
how about different scout groups?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 4:31pm
I tried this about a year ago, most of the van hire places have stopped doing minibusses because the risk is too great, apparently! Let us know if you find anywhere, please, I'm still interested in hiring one.
Posted By: carole696 Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 4:33pm
try ringing the beechwood social club they have a mini bus am not sure who they hire to but they have a driver
Posted By: dave_h Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 4:41pm
also have u got the license to drive it?
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 4:55pm
I can get a minibus with driver. What is the journey details?
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 5:03pm
I work for a mini bus firm what prices have you had
Posted By: little_pob Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 5:04pm
Oldershaw School used to have a mini bus that our scout troop would borrow to go to camp. I've long since left the troop and school, but might be worth ringing anyway?
http://www.oldershaw.wirral.sch.uk/contact.html
Originally Posted by dave_h
Under certain circumstances you can drive one on a car licence: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022619
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 5:18pm
I would Highly recommend Glocko
He ran i few away trips to watch
The Mighty Lairds.
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 5:21pm
Bloody hell!
hello Dave! :-)
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 5:41pm
I am now married and living in warrington
I now watching the rugby.
Posted By: deano_mc Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 5:58pm
It's for 10 people to go to betws-y-coed north Wales on Friday august 24th (6:30 pm) from the swan pub Prenton, and then picking up from betws-y-coed on the Sunday 26th aug about midday returning to the Wirral.
You are right not many hire out a 12 seater mini bus these days, and Wirral van hire do but you have to get your own insurance!?!
Posted By: Dodgy_Bob Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 7:18pm
Depending on the purpose of the journey and type of clientele (Community Group / Church Group. Children / Disabled / O.A.P) have you considered the local community transport organizations? Most of them are charities and can provide a vehicle and driver at cost only as they're not allowed to profit from their activities but they are tightly bound as to who they can serve as they must provide their services to certain groups for the good of the community.
Posted By: AnneMarie Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 15th May 2012 8:00pm
Have you tried "DESTINATIONS" really good company and very willing to help
Posted By: dave_h Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 18th May 2012 8:47am
Originally Posted by little_pob
Oldershaw School used to have a mini bus that our scout troop would borrow to go to camp. I've long since left the troop and school, but might be worth ringing anyway?
http://www.oldershaw.wirral.sch.uk/contact.html
Under certain circumstances you can drive one on a car licence: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022619

yeah as a volunteer you can, if you hire it you'd have to have a d1 category...
Posted By: little_pob Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 18th May 2012 10:45am
Originally Posted by little_pob

yeah as a volunteer you can, if you hire it you'd have to have a d1 category...
Confusingly, the DLVA's definition of "hire or reward" doesn't seem to apply to the vehicle but the driver.

As far as I can make out:
If the driver is paid to drive the minibus, they need the D1 category to do so.
Even if the group pay the driver just the out of pocket expenses of hiring the minibus and fuel, the driver needs the D1 category.
If the driver rents the minibus and pays for fuel, all out of their own pocket, they should be able to drive on just a car licence (though it's always worth checking with the DLVA).

Even if the DVLA say it's ok to drive on a car licence in the circumstances laid out in the query, the hire company can still insist on D1...

The rental agreement would likely prevent someone paying for the hire of the vehicle and someone else driving it.
Posted By: dave_h Re: Mini bus hire Wirral - 18th May 2012 11:17am
would need to be sure, else its driving without the correct license not to mention would the insurance be valid? play itself especially traveling through north wales polices stomping ground! enough said
© Wirral-Wikiwirral