Forums
Posted By: NettyMc St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 25th Feb 2014 1:56am
Hi all.
Please does anyone have any Photos or Memories of St Laurence's RC Church in Beckwith St or St Laurence's RC School in Park St/Watson St Birkenhead.

I am very keen to for any info at all on the Parish and its People and I have been trawling the internet for info for weeks with very little results frown

All my family as far back as our Great Grandparent's went to St Laurence's so its a subject I would love to know more about.

Thank you in advance

xxx

Posted By: bert1 Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 25th Feb 2014 6:21am
Opening, 1866.

Attached picture l1.JPG
Attached picture l2.JPG
Attached picture l3.JPG
Attached picture l4.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 25th Feb 2014 8:06am
Also

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...Laurence_Beckwith_Street.html#Post466127
Posted By: joney Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 25th Feb 2014 12:44pm
Elvis Costellos dad Ross Macmanus (Ronnie Macmanus) went to St Laurences.
Posted By: NettyMc Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 25th Feb 2014 3:07pm
**Thank you** so much for the replies.....

Thanks a million Bert1. I really appreciated you taking the time to share the newspaper cutting.Its fab!x

Joney.Thank you so much for your reply....Yes, I did know Musician Ross McManus went to St Laurence's, he sang at the Centenary Mass in the 1960's.

I would be most grateful for any more Information if anyone can share any or any photos.

Thank you
xx
Posted By: justice Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 26th Feb 2014 7:09pm
I have sent you a pm which I hope will be of some help.
Posted By: spider Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 2nd Mar 2014 1:42pm
My Dad told us(his kids) that on his way to work one morning(he worked in Lairds) he passed St Laurence's church and it was roped off just inside the gate,he ducked under the rope to see why..he made a speedy retreat as there was an unexplored bomb in the church grounds.Funny place to drop and not go off?God works in mysterious ways...
Posted By: Rort71 Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 5th Mar 2014 12:04pm
Went to Laurie's from 1945 till I left to go to Birkenhead Technical College. Mother Borgia headmistress, Miss Martin, Miss Anderson, Miss Crosby, Miss Humphreys, Miss Shepherd were some of the teachers in the girls school. Mother Magdalin was a very young nun and she put on a great show with her class where they all acted out "Phil the fluter"- great days. Mr. Quigley was boy's teacher. I can remember quite a few girls (now all about 73/74). Days out to the Philharmonic orchestra was a fabulous treat. Also remember the singing festivals-more so because I was never in them-awful singing voice-which I recognise now but not years ago!!
Posted By: fitzybeast Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 18th Mar 2014 9:22pm
I've got a few class photos from St. Lawrence's boys school from around 1910 if you are interested. They are my great uncle's
Posted By: Rort71 Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 21st Mar 2014 11:18am
Any chance of putting them on here. I'm sure there would be a lot of interest.
Posted By: fitzybeast Re: St Laurence's Church & School, Birkenhead - 31st Mar 2014 12:12am
As requested:

Standard 2A 1909
Miss Freeman (teacher), Mr J Smith (head)
[Linked Image]

Standard 2B 1909
Mrs Beggy (teacher)
[Linked Image]

Standard 3 1909
[Linked Image]

Standard 6B 1909
Mr T Reade (teacher), Mr J Smith (head)
[Linked Image]

Standard 7 1909
Mr J Coulthard (teacher), Mr J Small (teacher), Mr J Smith (head)
[Linked Image]

Standard 6 1912
[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral