Forums
Posted By: cathcart cathcart street,tollemache road - 10th May 2012 4:42am
at cathcart street in the 50s we had a teacher called mr speed.i believe there was a teacher at tollemache roadlater by the same name,he was a sports teacher as well,he was a football ref,also involved with the english school boxing team.also while im on,any photos of the old cathcart street school.
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: cathcart street,tollemache road - 15th May 2012 1:44pm
Mr Speed was there when I left Cathcart in 1974 aged 9. Head teacher was Mrs Denerley who I think took over from Mrs Smith.
I remember when the new school was opened we all had to carry our own chairs round from the old school.
Anyone remember the large concertina screens which made two classrooms out of one?
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street,tollemache road - 15th May 2012 5:50pm
have you got any pictures of the old school.
Posted By: ColinW Re: cathcart street,tollemache road - 25th Apr 2013 11:44pm
I left Cathcart St in 1970 and moved across to Conway Middle where Mr Speed was the games teacher his passion was football it was a Mr Baker who taught us cricket and rugby we were even allowed in the auditorium in Conway to watch England v Wales and "the boat race" Another teacher that taught sports was Mr Ashcroft,I seem to recall Mr Powell being the headmaster at both Cathy and Connie when i was there. I left to go to birkenhead institute where the headmaster was a Mr Sam Dennerley I cant recall any teachers in BI called speed but i am talking a decade later the only teacher i remember of international quality was Mr Croker who was a member of the England Handball Team, then there wa Jock Hume a Billy Connolly lookalike and the same humour to boot lol Oh and Mr Edgar a giant of a deputy head who was a goalkeeper for Manchester City
Posted By: ColinW Re: cathcart street,tollemache road - 25th Apr 2013 11:48pm
Originally Posted by cathcart
at cathcart street in the 50s we had a teacher called mr speed.i believe there was a teacher at tollemache roadlater by the same name,he was a sports teacher as well,he was a football ref,also involved with the english school boxing team.also while im on,any photos of the old cathcart street school.

Cathcart did this Mr Speed wear a fleece type tracksuit top and jet black hair slicked back with brylcreem by any chance?
Posted By: cathcart Re: cathcart street,tollemache road - 9th May 2013 3:50pm
he did colin,he was at cathy when i left in 1958,he was a selector for the england schoolboys at boxing and football.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral