Forums
Posted By: exnewbrightonite Egerton St Junior School - 6th Dec 2011 11:37am
Anyone remember the above school? i went there from 1950 till 1953 when we moved away. Miss Read was the Headmistess.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Egerton St Junior School - 6th Dec 2011 1:04pm
do you mean the one in liscard "egerton grove"

if so i went there in 1978ish for 1 year
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Egerton St Junior School - 6th Dec 2011 1:06pm
a couple of teachers names i remember

Miss Bellis, she was great and played the guitar all the time for the kids

Mr Hall was scary he walked round with a big stick and banged it on the tables if we didnt shut up !
Posted By: exnewbrightonite Re: Egerton St Junior School - 6th Dec 2011 2:53pm
The one in New Brighton
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Egerton St Junior School - 6th Dec 2011 4:05pm
Mr Bezzy went there in the early sixties. If you have a look pn 'Wallasey Memories' and 'Old pics of Liscard' you will find some class photos on there.
Posted By: Helles Re: Egerton St Junior School - 7th Dec 2011 10:18am
It's St James school New Brighton the OP is talking about. Known to all as Egerton street. All my family went there but not me because my mother fell out with Miss Reid. There was a Miss Owens as I recall and the only other one I remember was the caretaker Mary Steen.

The op probably went with one of my siblings so if they want to PM I will swop notes.
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: Egerton St Junior School - 9th Mar 2012 10:56am
I was mates with Mary Steens son Geoff and I have a photo of us at St James in the lower playground but am unable to locate it at the moment.
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: Egerton St Junior School - 9th Mar 2012 2:25pm
Heres the picture of me and Geoff steen plus the rest of the school including next to me and Geoff top left Miss Read
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150740682231057&set=o.22076390964&type=1&theater
Posted By: Helles Re: Egerton St Junior School - 11th Mar 2012 6:10pm
Won't let me see it for some reason? My brother was mates with Geoff as well. Drop me a pm if you like.
Posted By: AlanGarrett Re: Egerton St Junior School - 23rd Mar 2012 9:55pm
YES!!!

I was there from 1956/7 to 1962/3, started in Miss Owen's class (infants), hung about with Paul Fielding, Paul Green, Pete Clements, John Wilcox & others, then went next door for a couple of years into Miss Cuil ("Cool") 's class, remember the "Iron staircase", then went into the top class, Miss Copestake, remember the sliding door, I was in green house to begin with and Miss Reed (Constance Elizabeth) asked me to go into yellow house, remember the shields on the wall behind the stage, remeber sitting next to a lass who I think was called Carol Edwards. Other names I recall , Barbera Holden & sister Pat, Shirly Walker & sister Adell(?)(her dad Sid was mate of my dad), Berona Bond, Elmer Lloyd, Steven W*****ski, Philip Davies (his dad had the printers in Mason St next to Rene's), Jean Hitchin (who wrote plays for us to perform)

Also remember a couple of lads a year ahead of me who also went to the tech, Malcolm Ranard and Geof Sheregold.

I remember the services at St James' church which we did, and I remember making 'slides' in the bottom playground in the winter on the ice. I remember doing country dancing and PT in the dining room downstairs on coconut matting.

Posted By: Helles Re: Egerton St Junior School - 23rd Mar 2012 10:31pm
Originally Posted by AlanGarrett
YES!!!

I was there from 1956/7 to 1962/3, started in Miss Owen's class (infants), hung about with Paul Fielding, Paul Green, Pete Clements, John Wilcox & others, then went next door for a couple of years into Miss Cuil ("Cool") 's class, remember the "Iron staircase", then went into the top class, Miss Copestake, remember the sliding door, I was in green house to begin with and Miss Reed (Constance Elizabeth) asked me to go into yellow house, remember the shields on the wall behind the stage, remeber sitting next to a lass who I think was called Carol Edwards. Other names I recall , Barbera Holden & sister Pat, Shirly Walker & sister Adell(?)(her dad Sid was mate of my dad), Berona Bond, Elmer Lloyd, Steven W*****ski, Philip Davies (his dad had the printers in Mason St next to Rene's), Jean Hitchin (who wrote plays for us to perform)

Also remember a couple of lads a year ahead of me who also went to the tech, Malcolm Ranard and Geof Sheregold.

I remember the services at St James' church which we did, and I remember making 'slides' in the bottom playground in the winter on the ice. I remember doing country dancing and PT in the dining room downstairs on coconut matting.

I know most of those names. Pete Clements was a nice guy but sadly died quite young. Elmer is in Australia I think but his brother is still here. Bonds had a sweet shop/ general store in Tollemache street. I went to school with most of their older brothers and sisters though. I was the only one of our family of nine who never went to Egerton street but was sent to Vaughan road because my mother fell out with Miss Reid I am told.
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: Egerton St Junior School - 28th Mar 2012 9:09pm
Hi I am Elmers brother and I also went to Egerton Street school and I also ended up in Vaughan Road due to my mother falling out with Miss Reid not very hard as she was pure evil remember when it was your bithday and she would stand you out in front of the class and proceeded to count out the number of years you had attained and pulling up on your ear sharply for each year and even added one for luck no wonder there is a lot of big eared people in New Brighton.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral