Forums
Posted By: daveoffshore Woodchurch Rd School - 18th Sep 2011 2:15pm
Hi

Anybody got pictures of Class 4A or 4B (I forget the one I was in) in either 1966 or 1967 - lost all mine but thats another story!

Or pics of the building itself then?

cheers
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 18th Sep 2011 5:59pm
Crikey, I was there then, Got no pictures though sorry.
PB
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 18th Sep 2011 7:30pm
Hi PB

Are you going to the pub gathering on the 30th? I will hopefully be there - you never know - we may know each other !!!!
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 18th Sep 2011 9:22pm

A bit before your time but a good pic nevertheless smile

Attached picture Picture15WoodchurchRoadSchool.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 18th Sep 2011 9:47pm
That was before the bombs hit it and it also had a swimming pool at that time.
Posted By: DanLongman Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 18th Sep 2011 10:01pm
Never knew it had a swimming pool oshocked
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 18th Sep 2011 10:11pm
Almost all larger schools had swimming pools at one time, sometimes in their basements as was the case with Woodchurch Road. It was later changed into the kitchens iirc and this school then provided food for other schools as well.
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 19th Sep 2011 10:46am
Hi DonLongman, Diggingdeeper

Many thanks for your posts - like wise I never knew anything regarding a swimming pool there.

As you say a great photo - I still drive past there now and again and memories come flooding back - Marbles with the cries of "Hit 1 win 3" taking place under the shed - walking home to Glover Street I used to stop at the garage at the top of ????Road and ask for ball bearings - they were the making of a good business! Then there was the football played witha tennis ball the goals being the top and lower shed supports, much rivalary between 4A and 4B - how wish to turn the clock back

Thanks again
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 19th Sep 2011 11:08am
I went to Woody Road. Left to go to the "new" Prenton Primary. I well remember the mound of rubble that was there all my time. The RH side of the building got blatted and the top of the tower seriously worried. I never heard that there was a swimming pool beneath. You live and learn !!

The meals at my time were brought in from some central kitchen to the school in large aluminium containers. I presume they were re-heated in the school, but I don't know where.

Yes daveoffshore, they WERE happy days !
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 19th Sep 2011 11:13am
Hi pinzgauer

What years were you there?

Like you I went to Prenton Sec having failed the 11 plus - so that must have been 1967 - later passing the 13 plus (1969 I guess) and then went to Rock Ferry High. Leaving school in 73 to spend the next 22 years in the RN.
Posted By: detsi Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 19th Sep 2011 11:50am
Hi Dave,

I went to Woody Road and, like Pinz, went on to Prenton Primary while it underwent renovations. But this was in the mid 50's. Prenton Primary was not Prenton Sec. It was , and still is, I think, in Northwood Road opposite the Swan Hotel.
I see you lived in Glover Street. I lived in Woodville Road. The garage you mentioned must have been the one at the top of Briadale Road.

Happy days.

PS I also went to Rocky High.
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 19th Sep 2011 2:29pm
Hi detsi

Thanks for the memory jogger - I couldn't for the life of me remember the name "Briadale" Cheers.

The one thing that stands out about Woodville Road is that right behind our house there was man who was into amateur radio (the early days I guess) was 30 / 40 foot aerial used to mess our "brand new" TV up no end - my dad used to go mad ha ha ha oh Happy Days
Posted By: detsi Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 19th Sep 2011 2:40pm
Originally Posted by daveoffshore
Hi detsi

Thanks for the memory jogger - I couldn't for the life of me remember the name "Briadale" Cheers.

The one thing that stands out about Woodville Road is that right behind our house there was man who was into amateur radio (the early days I guess) was 30 / 40 foot aerial used to mess our "brand new" TV up no end - my dad used to go mad ha ha ha oh Happy Days

It wasn't me! seeyu
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 19th Sep 2011 2:47pm
I was at Woody Road 1950-54 thence a year at Prenton Primary, Northwood Road - first intake, paint still wet ha.ha. Then on to Prenton Sec. Temple Road and after, Childwall Hall College as part of the Vole Strangling Apprecticeship.
Posted By: Snowy Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 8th Oct 2011 8:36pm
I've some old Woodchurch Road School photos, as printed in a book about the school written by former Headmistress J.C. Nelson in 1983. There are a couple from the 1960s, which I've (hopefully) attached. (First attempt at doing this!) I know it's a very long shot, but I hope you're in them somewhere. (Sorry about the poor quality of the scans - if anyone can give me some tips on improving the picture resolution, I'd be very grateful).

BTW, I was there between 1978 and 1985. Great school.

Description: Class 2 (1962-63). Teacher: Mrs Evans
Attached picture scan0001.jpg

Description: 6-7 year olds choir group (1964)
Attached picture scan0002.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 9th Oct 2011 12:36pm
You need to use "descreen" filter if your scanner/software has it. I might be in that last picture blush
Posted By: Snowy Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 9th Oct 2011 5:39pm
Thanks DD for the scan tip - have descreened pics, so should be a bit better to view (although the second one is a newspaper cutting and poor quality anyway). Hope you can find yourself in the choir.

Description: Class 2 (1962-63). Teacher: Mrs Evans.
Attached picture scan0001a.jpg

Description: 6-7 year old choir group (1964)
Attached picture scan0002a.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 10th Oct 2011 4:35pm
Looks like I escaped from that picture - phew raftl

Mrs Latham was the music teacher who took the choir, she was quite demanding and could be harsh but was usually fair.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 17th Nov 2011 5:39pm
Just checked back on this post and realised it was not woodchurch road school I attended, it was woodchurch secondary school on the woodchurch estate.

Note to self, must read threads properly before posting.

PB
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodchurch Rd School - 17th Nov 2011 8:37pm
I'm glad that happens to other folks as well !!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral