Forums
Posted By: abcdefgh ELLERAY PARK SCHOOL WALLASEY - 15th Jan 2010 7:23pm
Has anyone read about Elleray Park school? Apparently theyre going to rebuild it and site it next to a mainstream school.....oh my god this is really bad. Children that attend special schools have needs that a mainstream school just cannot provide. Whoever put the ad in Wirral Globe have put it right by the advertising section, probably hoping no one will see it!
Posted By: abcdefgh ELLERAY PARK SCHOOL WALLASEY - 17th Jan 2010 10:46pm
Its bad news if Elleray Park School is to be rebuilt along a mainstsream school. The children have special needs emotionally and physically and the location of Elleray is perfect for them. This is the councils way of saving themselves some money or should that making themselves some money as the land that Elleray park is on is a prime location for developers.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: ELLERAY PARK SCHOOL WALLASEY - 17th Jan 2010 11:20pm
A lot of the kids take a LONG time to settle in - they shouldn't be mucked around if at all possible.

Total admiration for staff in these places, its not just the kids that will have a hard time!
Posted By: hoseman Re: ELLERAY PARK SCHOOL WALLASEY - 17th Jan 2010 11:38pm
I service the minibus wheelchair lift there, been to many a breakdown in shopping centres where it has refused to lift or operate. Kids are always happy onboard and spend most of the time explaining "what the nice man is doing to fix the bus!!"
Havnt they just spent a small fortune revamping the school and building work over the summer hols?
Posted By: Waddi Re: ELLERAY PARK SCHOOL WALLASEY - 18th Jan 2010 7:20pm
My Daughter is due to go to Elleray Park in May.

Im in 2 minds about the relocation to be on the same site as a main stream.

On the plus it may teach her social skills, how to mix with "normal kids".

but on the negative, theres a reason She and all the other kids aren't going to mainstream in the first place, they all have special educational needs (weather Mentally, Physically or both) and need to go to a school with has the resources and funding made specially available for such a school.
and my biggest fear, is that the mainstream school with "steal" funding from the The special eds unit, to use for the mainstream kids, i,e for computers etc.
Posted By: oggie Re: ELLERAY PARK SCHOOL WALLASEY - 18th Jan 2010 8:13pm
Our daughter goes to Stanley school in Thingwall,which ajoins Thingwall primary school,in my experience it has been a really positive thing for both schools,all the kids mix under supervision,the mainstream kids learn a lot about disabilities at a young age,how many of us were taught about "differences"in physical and mental abilities?

Stanley is due to be rebuilt on a new site at Pensby primary school,it will be a bigger and much better equipped school than the present site,I believe only good can come from "intergration"with mainstream kids.

I must say though I also believe the council are cashing in land sales of course.

All the staff at the specials schools though are so dedicated to the pupils,the kids adore them.During the snow a couple of weeks ago some of the teachers were prepared to sleep at school with some of the kids who could not get home due to the transport being taken off.

Chris
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: ELLERAY PARK SCHOOL WALLASEY - 18th Jan 2010 11:37pm
Id also like to know which mainstream school Elleray Park will be located by? The ones in Wallasey are already pretty full. Theres no mention of that in the Globe article.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral