Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe Park High School, Birkenhead - 5th May 2007 11:55am
Lux et Robur Click

This is a site where "old boys and girls from Park High School, Birkenhead could share stories (good and bad) and re-kindle old friendships (from many years ago or just a few months ago)."
Posted By: Mark Park High School, Birkenhead, - 10th Jun 2007 9:53pm
Park High School
Park Road South
Birkenhead
Merseyside
CH43 4UY

--------
Was this your School ?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 18th Sep 2007 12:29pm
This was my School i hated it very much.. This school was not for me as i needed special needs and this school was a waste of space for me i did pick Clairemount cause i would of benefited but no i got sent to this Shi* hole and didnt get results.. I was the main Computer geek at school if anyone wanted Internet Access they came to me cause the school was connected to the METNET (Wirral Met Collages Computer Network) and one of there servers was connected to the Internet so everyone came to me cause i hacked through the Server to Proxy through it.. The only good thing about this school was some of the teachers who understood where i came from but apart from that it was not a very good experience the school didnt even find out i had Dislexia neither did they find out what was up cause i never had friends in there i kept my self to my self never mixed etc and untill i was 19 i didnt find out exactly what caused my behavior which is diagnosed as Aspergers so if you want your special needs kid to goto this school dont bother cause they never found anything about me so thats my time there :>
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 22nd Jan 2008 12:47pm
Park High myself 91' to '96 the school was very mixed, ranging from the good to the bad - pupils and teachers, well I have decent job now so it mustn't have been that bad....or was that Birkenhead Sixth form who taught me all I need to know. smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 22nd Jan 2008 6:18pm
I went here too from 1998 to 2003.

Also went to Birkenhead Sixth Form a few years ago.

What tutors did you have in both Park High and BSFC MerseyMan?
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 25th Jan 2008 1:03pm
Mr 'mad dog' Martin did technology...electronics I think, he was my form teacher for 5 years, good salt of the earth bloke but not to be crossed for whatever reason.
Mr Rooke, Georgraphy in my first and second year laid into all the 'wet behind the ears gang' made nicknames for everyone...mine was Tonto....anyway...
Mr Brame...English chilled out bearded bloke who got waaay too much stick in Park High..still see him sometimes on the train on the way to work...Park high nearly drove him to breaking point...well some people in our year did.
Mr Buttery...My graphics teacher, another old school teacher who was down to earth, ex rugby player I think, got on with everyone but another man not to get on the wrong side of.
Miss Weekes west country buxom georgraphy teacher who was very chilled out....
Miss/Mrs Mckenzie my set 2 English teacher very knowledgable teacher even though she looked like penguin out of batman lol
The usual early years PE teachers Mr Williams who sported a Guile out of streetfighter haircut (very 80's) (usually seen with fellow female PE teachers) Miss Gidman, Miss/Mrs Lancely PE teachers.
Music with Mr Gregory, didn;t take long for him to flip his lid and Mr 'Wacko Jacko' Jackson, taught me RE then went onto Music cant really describe that one lol.
History in my first years Mr Birney great fella RIP
Miss Jones for Biology (I don't know what she looks like now 13 years on but she was fine then)
Miss Robinson Social Studies another nice female of the time.....loads more but since I'm at work you can bugger off I have lunch to eat haha

Take care
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 25th Jan 2008 1:46pm
God how i hated that school.. Half them teachers were still going when i was there MerseyMan.. and they still are lol

But jeez.. what a hell hole of a school, fun but crap
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 25th Jan 2008 2:53pm
I remember all those teachers.. Mr (John) Martin was my Electronics Teacher to and yes he was not a Teacher to get on the wrong side of.. Other teachers you might Remember... Mrs (Barbara) Daniels was my maths teacher very nice lady very funny too.. Mrs (Joyce) Bradshaw my Special Needs teacher very nice teacher but i think she got fed up of my antics with Computers (grins) Mr (Graham) Maddox my Business Studies teacher also a very knowledgeable in regards to local history and the war.. Ask him a question and it turned the lesson into a history lesson... Mr (Tom) Ainsworth was the Head of Information Technology very easy going bloke and knew how i worked inside and out in regards to computers always kept his eyes on me cause he knew i knew too much.. Mr (Steve) Allen was my psychics teacher very quiet teacher the kids ran all over him and he didnt really care cause he couldnt be bothered with kids who didnt want to learn.. Mrs (Margeret) Chape was my had of house great lady who you could talk to.. Mr (Steve) Holmes was my First year Form Teacher also my P.E. teacher even though i never did P.E.. Mr Bentley (glass eye) was my biology teacher very very funny man always cracking jokes but if you got on the wrong side of him then you knew about it.. Mrs (Lillian) Tennent was my I.T. Teacher hated me cause i was a Pain in the arse (as you can imagine) Mr (Phil) Sheridian was also my I.T. teacher but he left to be Deputy head at a close school to him (WoodChurch High) Mr Astbury deput head of Lower School he was very strict and he always had a tendency to make you cry if you was naughty he was Mr Nasty.. Mr (Martin) Rushton was my Chemistry Teacher in Year Nine nice guy he was also my Dads maths teacher when he was at school he was Old School. Mr Hobson First and Second year Head Master you got on the wrong side of him and you knew about it.. Mrs (Pam) Flannigan very nice Head Mistress very quiet though.. Mr (Di) Williams was a nice fella all the Girls loved him heh! He was the teacher who got me into P.E. even though i HATED it with a Vengence.. Mrs Salter my cooker teacher little old lady who was Old School and who was very Strict but i think she left cause of old age.. Theres loads more i remember from this Sh** hole of a school but i'll leave it there cause my Brain is hurting LOL.. happy
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 25th Jan 2008 10:21pm
Mr Martin was my technology teacher in lower

Mr Rooke was a decent teacher, enjoyed his Geography lessons

I didn't have Mr Brame, but I remember him getting so much stick like chairs thrown at him by other people in my class

I had Mr Buttery for graphics too, but I think he left after my 1st year with him. Decent guy, very good teacher.

Miss Weekes was my form leader in lower and my geography teacher, she was cool and as you say MerseyMan, very chilled out.

Miss/Mrs Mckenzie definately did look like penguin out of batman. I hated her. She went off ill for a while and never returned lol

lmao @ Mr Williams' streetfighter haircut raftl

I hated Mr Gregory so much and caused so much trouble in his lessons - I hated it.

The 'fine' Miss Jones for Biology - is that the same one that taught Drama? cas she was fine.

Miss Robinson was a good teacher too, enjoed her lessons for history.

Mr Maddocks didn't teach me for anything, but I did go to the school trips he did with the maths teacher (forgotten his name - we called him coffee breath) to France to the Somme and Ypres in Belgium. He was very strict, but a very knowlegable fella.
In my last year of PHS, he started writing a book on the Lusitania on which one of my great great grandfather was on at the time it sunk. So I had a good chat with him about history, but he passed away a few years ago now before he finished his book.

Mr Bently was funny with his glass eye, he used to take it out infront of everyone.

I remember Miss Tenant too, I also had Mr Wimpress and Mr Savage for IT.

Mrs salter raftl we took the piss outta her but she tried to be strict with us.

Can hardly remember the names of my other teachers.

Anyone remember the name of these 3 science teachers I had - One had a birthmark or somethin on his head he taught physics, the other was a big fella who taught biology and was my form tutor and the other one was like a crazy scientist who taught chemistry - a very good laugh he was.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 26th Jan 2008 12:16am
Psychics Teacher (Mr Blackburn) Chemistry I knew he ran the Tuck Shop as well but his second name DAMN! Biology teacher i remember him by his looks big guy but his name.. damn!! hehehe
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 26th Jan 2008 10:26am
yeah that was it... mr blackburn happy
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 26th Jan 2008 11:18am
Loads more teachers mentioned there that bring back memories, good stuff.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 26th Jan 2008 12:58pm
Aha happy The mad chemistry teacher was Mr Winch hehehe damn he had me stitches a few times he was also Head of Work Experience.. Nice guy he was and i think hes still there. Anyone remember Mr McMahon hes the Head teacher know i always used to call him Vince heh! (wwe) laugh Did anyone remember the Class rooms behind the Stage ?? Those rooms where spookay! hehe! happy
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 26th Jan 2008 2:30pm
Aww Mr Winch.. he used to let me bunk off in his lessons lol

Mr Theo, i think he was called, was another Science teacher.. used to be fun winding him up..

Had Mrs.. erm.. fs.. English teacher, proper sound..

Loads of the teachers were kool, just a few needed a slap, Mr Campbell for one, grrr..

The stage in upper sound ? me and my mates used to sit off in lower on the stage.. untill Mr Brush muzzy Kennear or whatever was doing something in there and caught us raftl
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 26th Jan 2008 2:40pm
Yep the stage in upper school smile There where 2 Class rooms happy they where spooky an dark...
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 26th Jan 2008 3:36pm
i went to park high between 99 and 04. it was shit when i was there but lookin back it was a proper laugh.mr gregory got forced to leave for getting a bit friendly with some of the female pupils i heard. miss robinson was sound, i thought she was a bit of a fox too hahaha
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 26th Jan 2008 10:31pm
The 2 classrooms behind the stage were turned into temporary PE changing rooms while all the building work was happening.
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 27th Jan 2008 1:48pm
I remember the "isolation" room in upper.. that was horrible and cold
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 27th Jan 2008 11:23pm
Ohh aye smile i remember that room... heh! too cold.. next to the TA room wasnt it in the Basement ?
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 28th Jan 2008 12:47am
Nah, when i was in there (most of the time) it was on the top floor.. you know the creepy stairs behind the stage.. proper scary up there lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 20th Feb 2008 5:38pm
Originally Posted by placidmaster
is it true that this school is only on the one site now, i was there for a year in my youth and i went to the bit near town but used to walk past the little people PHS on Park Road North, did I dream that this is now closed or have I gone mad??? It was by the Avenue Pub

The Lower site (on Park Road North) is now the Wirral Hospital School its called the Joseph Paxton Building (Joseph Paxton designed and opened Birkenhead Park)

I think it's now for kids who don't do well in other schools and it also offers support for pregnant and new mums in years 10 and 11 who want to continue with their GCSE’s.

Park High is now located on one site at what was known as the upper site.
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 20th Feb 2008 5:40pm
dood how old are ypu and any folks who also went here, i was ther in 92 93 i think
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 20th Feb 2008 5:47pm
I started there in 1998

what teachers did you have?

upper is well different now, had lots of building work done and that old gym and the little bridge going to the technology rooms is well gone lol
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 20th Feb 2008 6:01pm
cool folks so its now on one, nice one, ok teachers, mr corlett was a science teacher and my form teacher and drove a meastrero and had posh pretend leather patches on his elbows of his jacket even in 92-93 season wow i know !! ps he was well cool and chilled. vaugley remember some class names and my head was Mr batman, i dint recall his name, but if he walked in you stood, old fashioned dicipline but I respected him totally for it. mr slater was she short and stumpy, also cool, Mr (younger looking) Bruce forsyth did maths in a porta cabin, he was ok I guess. I recall a Mrs jones (possibly ginger) was my Humanities/religios teacher and if it came to marks out of ten i would happily give her one, Jacko rings a bell i remember slim small set possibly glasses, wicked rendition of stand by me on a double bass, treasured memory for ever, well cool, possibly a Mr Grey for PE, hated football so let me do cross country instead and relized my potential, also well cool, nice bloke to. struggling now, a german teacher balding and about 35 t 45 also a nice bloke. mrs simpson rings a bell, the word lesbian springs to mind, although never found out nor cared, nothing wrong with rug munching, i like it myself. geograpy was a guy possibly called mr cooke although not sure, he was cool. i remember for the first few weeks we had a locum teacher who a certain luke blaire told to fu.. off and this teacher calmly replies no, how about you fu,, off right down to batmans (lightbuld moment) head was MR Bartram i think (lightbulb is only 20 watts) ok, ho else??? english, i cant remember his name but he had us reading that scouse book 'our day out', how the Class chuckled when i came to read in a Broad Geordie accent!! teacher also was a cool guy, infact i liked all my teachers there, i will post if i think of more. ps me and Lee Crags (a Mackem) and Dinky and me was always smoking behind a cabin next to the gate into the park lol, happy days
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 20th Feb 2008 6:03pm
did you mean mr slater or mrs salter? lol
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 20th Feb 2008 6:06pm
not sure the school before had a slater too who funilly enough also tought bio
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 20th Feb 2008 6:08pm
maddocks rings a bell and coffe breath i think was Mr (younger looking) forsyth
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 20th Feb 2008 6:09pm
That coffee breath was Mr Campbell if not already mentioned above - his name ring any bells?
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 20th Feb 2008 6:12pm
nah thats not him, he spoke in a false manner to what he was in the staffroom . taught in the third cabin
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 21st Feb 2008 2:11pm
any more memories of park high??
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 21st Feb 2008 6:15pm
The headmaster name was Mr Hopson smile Mr Rooke was the geog teacher.. The IT guy Mr Ainsworth had coffee breath (you couldnt help but notice) When i was in Park High School the toilets which where situated in the basement i never used. I used the Staff ones near the Main hall? (why you ask?) cause they where cleaner smile Floor D which was psychics department was Haunted 100% always felt strange up there but it might of just been the fact it was the highest point in the school happy
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 8th Mar 2008 7:23pm
star man soundlab i remember the head and geo well and top floor was my foem room with a mr corlett i think, cheers
Posted By: Andy_U Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 10th Mar 2008 1:45am
I went to Park High School until 1979.
Didn't like it very much. I remember Mr. Astbury - I think he was the Maths teacher ( ? ).
One of the teacher had "The P.H.T." ( The Park High Trophy ) which was a small version of a cricket bat which he used to hit you on the backside with !
I think the Headmaster was a Mr Wood - Griffiths.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 10th Mar 2008 10:07am
Yeah Mr Astbury was the Maths teacher (and probably still is)

Thanks for sharing smile
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 10th Mar 2008 3:03pm
need more names for maths teachers
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 10th Mar 2008 5:47pm
The only ones I remember are Mr Coffin, Mr Campbell, Mr Maguire and Mr Astbury
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 10th Mar 2008 7:35pm
none ring a bell with me
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 10th Mar 2008 7:49pm
what names do you remember?
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 10th Mar 2008 7:52pm
he was a maths teacher and its doing my head in he was tall andd talked with a false accent and sometimes had a moustache and was dark haired and a bit of o tosser
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 11th Mar 2008 12:09am
Mr Bult was the head of maths..
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 11th Mar 2008 12:09am
still dont ring bells tho
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 11th Mar 2008 12:12am
maybe tomorrow, bedtime, stay safe folks and catch u soon
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 14th Oct 2008 12:40pm
Originally Posted by MerseyMan
Mr 'mad dog' Martin did technology...electronics I think, he was my form teacher for 5 years, good salt of the earth bloke but not to be crossed for whatever reason.
Mr Rooke, Georgraphy in my first and second year laid into all the 'wet behind the ears gang' made nicknames for everyone...mine was Tonto....anyway...
Mr Brame...English chilled out bearded bloke who got waaay too much stick in Park High..still see him sometimes on the train on the way to work...Park high nearly drove him to breaking point...well some people in our year did.
Mr Buttery...My graphics teacher, another old school teacher who was down to earth, ex rugby player I think, got on with everyone but another man not to get on the wrong side of.
Miss/Mrs Mckenzie my set 2 English teacher very knowledgable teacher even though she looked like penguin out of batman lol
The usual early years PE teachers Mr Williams who sported a Guile out of streetfighter haircut (very 80's) (usually seen with fellow female PE teachers) Miss Gidman, Miss/Mrs Lancely PE teachers.
Music with Mr Gregory, didn;t take long for him to flip his lid and Mr 'Wacko Jacko' Jackson, taught me RE then went onto Music cant really describe that one lol.
Miss Jones for Biology (I don't know what she looks like now 13 years on but she was fine then)
Miss Robinson Social Studies another nice female of the time.....loads more but since I'm at work you can bugger off I have lunch to eat haha

Take care

MerseyMan I think we may have been at Park at similar time. I was there 1986-1991.
I was in A1.
Taught by:
Maths - Mr Campbell (faggy breath, possibly the most melancholic teacher there) all the way through
English - Mrs Chape (very down-to-earth) then Miss Elding (despaired of us and verbalised this every lesson)
French - Mr Finch (dirty old man), Mrs Morgan (German teacher who couldn't teach French and made us all cheat on the oral exam), Miss Shanahan (pencil skirts - lads liked her)
Science - Miss Ramsay (missing link), Mr Kinsell (large boil on head), Mr Griffiths (jolly little welshman), Mr Winch (beaker off the muppets), Dr Bottan (sounded camp but married with kids), etc
Geography - Miss Boyle (loved her handouts), then Rooke (used to offer me polos from his trouser pocket just to freak me out - disturbed man, thought he was funny)for GCSE
I had Mr Martin for CDT - he was the best in my estimations - we thought his first name was Hamish and approached him with this once - he went mental lol
Music - Mr Gregory (popping head vens)/Mr Jackson (drainpipe trousers)
History - Mr WImpress (foul temper, thought he was funny)
RE - Miss Russell
Food Technology - Mrs Lloyd ('if you can spell Torolominos for your holidays you can spell diverticulitis!)
Needlework - Miss Wardle (creepy)
Art - Mrs Oakley (use your right-brain), Mrs Whitehead, Mr Dimolo (nice bloke, wore a brown caretaker's coat for some reason)
PE - Miss Crolla, Miss Lanseley, Miss Dean
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 14th Oct 2008 12:45pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
Yeah Mr Astbury was the Maths teacher (and probably still is)

Thanks for sharing smile

Astbury was my form teacher for 1A1 and 2A1
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 14th Oct 2008 1:21pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
Originally Posted by placidmaster
is it true that this school is only on the one site now, i was there for a year in my youth and i went to the bit near town but used to walk past the little people PHS on Park Road North, did I dream that this is now closed or have I gone mad??? It was by the Avenue Pub

The Lower site (on Park Road North) is now the Wirral Hospital School its called the Joseph Paxton Building (Joseph Paxton designed and opened Birkenhead Park)

I think it's now for kids who don't do well in other schools and it also offers support for pregnant and new mums in years 10 and 11 who want to continue with their GCSE’s.

Park High is now located on one site at what was known as the upper site.

Joseph Paxton is actually the hospital school - so say you're too sick to go to school long-term for whatever reason you go there. Think they probably do learning difficulties there too. The 'too naughty for school' kids go to the one on Cavendish Street I think.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 14th Oct 2008 6:39pm
Mr Astbury was my form tutor too, and Miss Weakes for years 7 & 8 (lower)

Originally Posted by MissGuided

Mr Campbell (faggy breath, possibly the most melancholic teacher there) all the way through

Mrs Chape (very down-to-earth)

Miss Shanahan (pencil skirts - lads liked her)

Mr Winch (beaker off the muppets)

Rooke - thought he was funny

Mr Gregory (popping head vens)

Miss Wardle (creepy)

withthat

ROFLMAO @ Mr Winch being beaker raftl raftl I always thought that he looked like one of the muppets.

Mr Dimolo was a goon

Mr Rooke was cool as was Miss Whitehead. She moved to lower to teach English when I was in year 7 & 8

Mr Wimpress moved form teaching History to ICT and always thought he was an asshole.

Miss Wardle!! Fook me, hope I never see her on a dark night....definately creepy
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 14th Oct 2008 6:49pm
Best thing Mr Campbell ever did was smash his head on the blackboard.

He was in the middle of telling us how sh*t we were despite being the top maths set. He was standing about 2 ft away from the blackboard, probably thought he was nearer. He said, '5A1' in his typical desperate whispery voice, then went to lean back and *SMACK* Tears rolled down his face at the pain. A class of 15/16 year-old tried to contain their laughter. He left the room (maths mobiles had little hallways between). We could hear him saying stuff like 'jesus!' and I don't think he was praying lol. He then came back in to a class which by that time laughter had completely ruptured out. 'That wasn't funny' was all he could say.

Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 15th Oct 2008 10:45am
Mr Astubury was a complete a** hole... I didnt like him one bit.. The power got to his head when he was Deputy Headmaster at the Lower School. This was when Mr Rushton was Head Master of the lower school when PHS was split between to sites. I remember getting blammed for something i did not do nad tore into me on the thought i was lying and to be even a complete utter arse reduced me to tears and then his cunning plan used the tears to rip into me even more to finnally get a yes out of me but i just took it on bored and never spoke to him or answered him ever. I got the impression dont show your scared and you will be fine.. I hate park high as shit running thorugh snow and glad i didnt do as i did cause i couldnt of cared less.. Anyway its a by gone era and its now 2008 move on i say!! laugh
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 15th Oct 2008 10:55am
That reminds me (running thorugh snow) - they used to make us play netball when it was snowing. I was a skinny waif back then and used to get so cold my hands used to turn blue. Then people would make fun of me for having blue hands. School can be such a nasty place to send your children lol.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 11th Apr 2009 4:50pm
I was there from 1990-1995 and Mrs.Lancely was my form teacher.

Teachers that have been missed out from the above list:

Mrs Hall-English

Mr.Topping-P.E (9 and a half fingers)
Mr.Milne-P.E
Mrs.spencer-P.E

Miss O'hara-Science
Mr.Sheriden-Science
Mr.Corlett-Science

Miss Dean-Head of year
Miss Daniels-Head of year
Mrs.Holt-Deputy head of upper
Mr.Mercer-Head of lower

Miss Douglas-R.E (southerner) Peopowl Shat up!

Mrs.Farrel-cookery

Mrs.Semple-art

Miss Brooks-Drama

Madame Wood-French

Miss Eldridge-Geography

Mrs Tomlinson-History

Mr.Peck-Politics (looked like Mr.Bean)
Mr.Carr-dunno,English I think?

Mr.Maddocks has sadly died R.I.P and My nephew goes there now and he said Mr.Coffin is now the head teacher.I really could not stand that fat oaf.Who was the one we nicknamed flatline cos he always looked like he was about to have a heart attack with his bright red face?? any answers??

Posted By: kimpri Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 12th Apr 2009 3:15pm
Mr maddocks had a side kick Mr hurworth (piss eyes) they were both bully's.Mr topping lived at the bottom of ford hill drove a little mg midget. hobson was the head.Mr cliff Mr Edwards Mr's Pitt. cant remember my form teacher he was a sound guy that was in my last year 4rs.set the TD room on fire in lower school with a magnifying glass.stuck a potato up the exhaust of a hill man imp fired out and smashed staff room window.
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 12th Apr 2009 9:37pm
Just reading some of the posts above.. Mr Wimpress hated my guts cause i knew more than him about computers laugh also as well as Mrs Tennent. Ahh the good old days... I was the computer geek in school knew everything about the system they used Novell laugh what a piss of piss that was.. They upgraded the computers when i left to Research Machines Connect dunno if they still use this pile of shite but you could say i was a pain in the arse when it came to IT.. I remember rerouting one of the servers to access the internet through the Wirral Met's back bone and everyone enjoyed a good surf on the internet when i was in class i was a Pain hehe laugh
Posted By: MissCalculated Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 12th Apr 2009 10:21pm
When i was there, i left in 1984 i think, Lower school head was Mr Woodgriffiths, insisted on walking round school with a cigarette permanently and Mr Vose, who was in the dance scene in Chariots of Fire, was deputy head of lower.

For maths i had Mr Bult who was a cool teacher, growled at you if you got something wrong.

English teachers i had were Mrs Potter who i hated and Mrs arghh i cant remember nice Indian lady.

Biology was Mr Malone who fancied himself and once caught me when i fainted due to illness, honestly tease

Chemistry was first Mr Griffiths then Mr Hedley r.i.p who was a brilliant teacher and a sad loss

Physics was Mr Kinsell or egg head as he was cruelly called, loved his Moggy Minors

I had Mrs Semple for art and Mrs Evans

Mr Taylor for Geology im sure he was secretly a mountain goat cos the places he took us on field trips were hair raising as Miss G will tell you

For French i had Miss Bramhall with her marvellous nails

Oh and Mr Rigby for geography.

Then Mr Hopson was head of upper school....loved that cape

Then there were the infamous pupils :s

Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 30th Apr 2009 10:02am
isnt this school bieng mergd with rock ferry high?
Posted By: cherrypie Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 6th May 2009 10:58am
I went to Park High from '87 till '92, i quite enjoyed my time there actually lol
Form tutor - Mr Buttery
English - Mr Hurworth
English Lit - Mr Carr
Science - Miss Ramsey (strange!)
Dr Botton
Mrs O Hara
DT - Mr Buttery
History - Mrs Jones
IT - Mr Ainsworth
PE - Mrs Lancley, Miss Spencer
Art - Mrs Semple
Maths - Mr Campbell ( proper lost the plot!!)

But i do remember other teachers such as Mr Rooke, Mr Peck (catalogue man 1972!!) Mr Rushton was in charge of lower school.
Mrs Oakden, she made my life hell in lower school cos i couldn't draw a hand, lol for my next homework my dad did it for me and she slated it, i think gave it an F, so parents evening they had murder with her,that all children are not artists and hows drawing gonna help me get a job?? Lol I did take it GCSE and got a C!!
Mr Gregory is probably rocking away somewhere in a straight jacket now, Mr Maguire was married to Miss Elding he was our year head.
Mr Wood-griffiths was deputy head and often said 'i will bounce you wound the room like a wubber ball'!
And Mr Hopson would strutt into the hall with his cape on. Somewhere along the way Mrs Holt appeared and she was a cow from hell, you always knew where she was because of the stilletos she wore cos she was small.
In our 3rd year we got a new french teacher Madame Tuilier or something like that, one day we were going to bunk so we arranged to meet at park station and go to New Brighton, we all hada change of clothes in our bags, so the train came and everybody jumped on, i waited to let people off, and she was the last person off, i coulda died, she asked where i was going and said i was going to be late, the train pulled away with all my mates waving and i had to walk back to school with her,the shame!! But cos i had only packed clothes i had none of my books so got a detention. I didnt bunk again!
Anyone remember Mr Lynch? He left in 89 in suspicious circumstances, he was dead fit, he was a science teacher.
Posted By: Beaty59 Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 4th Jun 2009 8:02am
Went from 1982-87.

Great school I loved it. Loved going into the Park at dinner time and playing football. Also during the winter using the metal trays from the canteen as sleds on the snow.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 4th Jun 2009 8:07am
cherry pie i recognise loads o fthe teachers you mentioned - think i was in the year above. remember mr winch for chemistry? was a pervert who looked like beaker from the muppets.

my fave teacher was mr martin - he was ace. even though he did grab me by the scruff of the neck one day because i called him Hamish lol he hated that nickname. though he was probably nicer than Mad-dog raftl
Posted By: ColinMacLaw Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 28th Feb 2010 4:51pm
This was my school between 1990-1995, the school itself was great, but I hated my time there because I was bullied literaly every single day for the whole 5 years, pushed me close to suicide on more than one occasion...But, now I'm older, wiser and stronger minded, so in a way it's made me who I am today. My name back then was Colin Tresidder in case anyone remembers me
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 19th May 2010 12:55am
Your name rings a bell Colin (Tresidder) what form was you in and who was your form teacher?? was you in A3 or A4?? we was there at the same time for the whole 5 years.thumbsup
Posted By: zippy49 Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 4th Dec 2010 7:30pm
i was there in 70s the 1st year it went comp didn t like it much untill i went to upper school.if you were in lower classses you went to the kirklands in rock ferry,and the art centre in whetstone lane 1day a week,not enough room for everyone to be in school at same time we didn t have mobile class rooms then.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 4th Dec 2010 7:56pm
Originally Posted by son51
i was there in 70s the 1st year it went comp didn t like it much untill i went to upper school.if you were in lower classses you went to the kirklands in rock ferry,and the art centre in whetstone lane 1day a week,not enough room for everyone to be in school at same time we didn t have mobile class rooms then.
was you just starting park high in the 70s?
I left in 1975
I set the TD room on fire, got told off and my magnifying glass confiscated till the friday,

what a joke
laugh
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 5th Dec 2010 12:37am
I was there from 2003-2008. some of the notable teachers and incidents are/were:

English: I keep forgetting her name but do anything out of place by a fraction and she went apeshit

Maths: Dr Okon (No one liked him) Mr Hepkey. Current Head Of Maths. Another one who's name i can't remember was always bright Red due to his massive consumption of Vodka.

Music: Mr Gregory was one man you never said Zebra to. apparently his wife was killed on a Zebra Crossing and by saying Zebra he would enter a physcotic rage that was unstoppable he was removed from his position quickly afterwords.

P.E: Mr Hughes who i swear is Ganondorf from Zelda Incarnate

One of The Learning Mentors drove a minibus like a rally driver pissed off their heads as if it was new years eve

Incidents:

2003: Lad was knocked out by a brick to the face
2004: Intranet Services compromised and hacked to death (Your Welcome)
2005: A Floor Room 12's ceiling collapsed Injuring everyone in the room and destabilizing the room above it
2006: Massive crowd tried to enter the A Floor Canteen causing people to be nearly crushed
2007: Lad's eye was malformed by Sulfuric Acid deliberately
2008: A Floor Flooded: up to chest height, Sports Hall like an massive swimming pool
D Floor damaged by Fire set in Rooke's private office (inside an old toilet unit)
Strange Guys in suits wanting me for unknown reasons. i ran but i had to temporarily disable one of them. (nothing says screw you than a pole to the bollocks)

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 5th Dec 2010 12:52am
Who was that very dishy Science teacher in 2004? Went to shum shum parents evening and cant remember a word he said?? raftl plusone was Not Amused.
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 5th Dec 2010 1:15am
was it Blackburn (He made his own science award in 2008 till 2010 and i received the first one) Hughes (another Hughes0), and one in C7, C1, C4 Or C3 (there was one science teacher who was there from 2004-2005 but again i can't remember the name. I've managed to forget 90% of everything Park High related since i didn't want anyone trying to find me years afterwards, guessing it worked too well crazy
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 5th Dec 2010 1:43am
Dunno his name! He was v.v. Good looking, i know that!! Beckham-esque. Must find shum shum school report! Find out his name.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 5th Dec 2010 1:46am
Prob the 04-05 one! Toooo fit to be around teenage girls!! Fake diaries and the likes.....
Posted By: Blondie Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 5th Dec 2010 10:24am
I do hope it was NOT blackburn !! He was NOT dishy. Just trying to think of some names ... think
I was there from 99 til 04

The male PE teacher was a dish ... Mr Mee flex
Posted By: mistybluered Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 28th Dec 2010 3:09pm
Can anyone remember Mr Woodgriffis (I will bounce you wound this woom like a wubber ball lol! And my biology teacher was Mr Malone,Maths teacher was Mr astbury, Music was Mrs Mitchelle and Mr Gregory,
Posted By: zippy49 Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 28th Dec 2010 6:59pm
I remember MR wood-GRIFFITHS caught me wearing platform shoes told me off,he was deputy head when i was there.MR ASTBURY the maths teacher very young and dishy when i was there think it was his first teaching post about 71-72
Posted By: kimpri Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 28th Dec 2010 7:14pm
Originally Posted by son51
I remember MR wood-GRIFFITHS caught me wearing platform shoes told me off,he was deputy head when i was there.MR ASTBURY the maths teacher very young and dishy when i was there think it was his first teaching post about 71-72
MR wood-GRIFFITHS caught me wearing platform shoes, He sent me home to change them,
I left in 1975. smile
Posted By: jemarc Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 28th Dec 2010 8:33pm
i was at park high, i left in 1980. mr Woodgriffiths was head of lower school when i started and mr Vose was deputy head, mr topping taught p.e. to the lads and Miss elston to the girls cross country and athletics she put us through the mill.
also there was,
Mr maddocks my form teacher in upper school (government and politics
Mr hurworth english
Mr devitt english
mrs ainsworth history
mr ainsworth physics
Mr Mercer geography
Mr. Kinsell Physics
Mr. Maguire Maths
Mrs Porter Maths
Mrs Stockholm History
prob quite a few others if i had time to think about it
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 9th May 2012 11:23pm
Good grief, how long has Mrs. Semple been there then? I had her for art in 1967-72.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the head but we had at various times:

Mr Holtom music
Miss Jones games
Mrs Embleton domestic science
Mr Holland French
Miss Cain & Miss Shone maths
Mrs Semple & Mrs Evans art
Mrs Jones history
Miss Bell English
Mrs Leybourne RE
Mrs Boyle biology
Mr White French

I was at the girls school on Park Road South and we went co-ed with the boys in the 3rd year (1970?) - gained some fab (and hunky!) teachers then. Johnny Holland was our form master and taught French. He used to drive into school with the physics master whose name escapes me but he was blonde and cute!

We went comprehensive in the fifth year so that would have been about 1971/2. I remember the last parents evening, we went to see the geography teacher and she didn't even know I was in her class, let alone who I was. Said it all really.

Can't say I enjoyed school much. I loved games in the first couple of years and was occasionally in the school netball and hockey teams.

I remember we had a showing of the James Bond film On her Majesty's Secret Service one day. Can't remember if that was a film club or what but I don't remember any other films being shown. We had a chess club that I went to maybe once or twice.

I remember some of us being taken into the hall to watch tv. I think it was the Wimbledon Ladies Singles final which used to be on a Friday back then. I remember the national anthem was played and we were expected to stand. (I'm old enought to remember the national anthem being played in cinemas, for crying out loud!)
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 9th May 2012 11:42pm
Miss Murrrrrrrray geography
Johnnie Johnson Latin
and Ian Birkett physics!!
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 28th Jun 2012 11:49am
Campbell was my form and maths teacher for the last two term of my park high school life.

Was a good maths teacher I got a C.S.E grade 1 in maths thanks to him,Remember going back to pick my exam results up seen my math result and had the pleasure to shoved it in magire face and told him who crap at maths and i was never going to do well in the exam....

Class of 1979 -83
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 28th Jun 2012 12:12pm
Mr maddocks History Very Good History Teacher.
Mr devitt english Very Good English Teacher Had a bet on his team arsenal losing against liverpool I won and he stuck to his part of the bet No english home work for a month.
Mr. Maguire Maths Sh-te Maths Teacher.
Mrs Potter English.
Mrs Stockdale History Nice Teacher But could Bite back if you got on the wrongside of her.
Mr Oulton History teacher Top Bloke.

Happy Days
Posted By: covonia Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 13th Nov 2012 11:28pm
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Originally Posted by MerseyMan

Take care

MerseyMan I think we may have been at Park at similar time. I was there 1986-1991.
I was in A1.
Taught by:
Maths - Mr Campbell (faggy breath, possibly the most melancholic teacher there) all the way through
English - Mrs Chape (very down-to-earth) then Miss Elding (despaired of us and verbalised this every lesson)
French - Mr Finch (dirty old man), Mrs Morgan (German teacher who couldn't teach French and made us all cheat on the oral exam), Miss Shanahan (pencil skirts - lads liked her)
Science - Miss Ramsay (missing link), Mr Kinsell (large boil on head), Mr Griffiths (jolly little welshman), Mr Winch (beaker off the muppets), Dr Bottan (sounded camp but married with kids), etc
Geography - Miss Boyle (loved her handouts), then Rooke (used to offer me polos from his trouser pocket just to freak me out - disturbed man, thought he was funny)for GCSE
I had Mr Martin for CDT - he was the best in my estimations - we thought his first name was Hamish and approached him with this once - he went mental lol
Music - Mr Gregory (popping head vens)/Mr Jackson (drainpipe trousers)
History - Mr WImpress (foul temper, thought he was funny)
RE - Miss Russell
Food Technology - Mrs Lloyd ('if you can spell Torolominos for your holidays you can spell diverticulitis!)
Needlework - Miss Wardle (creepy)
Art - Mrs Oakley (use your right-brain), Mrs Whitehead, Mr Dimolo (nice bloke, wore a brown caretaker's coat for some reason)
PE - Miss Crolla, Miss Lanseley, Miss Dean

Hi!

You brought back so many memories of Park High, lower and upper school as it was in my day.

Park High...I was there from 1983 to 1988 and didn't like it. Educational standards were not that good and we had a lot of temporary teachers. The first two years were in the lower school by Claughton Village. That is now some sports college. The main people I remember from there are Mr Voce who was Deputy Head and I can't remember the headmaster's name, but he used to let his dog on that sacred acre when we were not allowed on the grass. The name Wood-Griffths comes to mind. Mr Finch was the French teacher and I couldn't stand him, even though he did have a nice car in those days, a beige RS2000 that got pinched. He used to wear black trousers and a white suit jacket and often come in with a black eye! He said it was from playing squash, we heard a very different story about another teacher's wife etc. He used to live in Wallasey, but someone told me he had taken to living in a motorhome in recent years. Mrs Banfi was the English teacher, completely useless, Mr Topping was a very very strange games teacher who used to watch all the boys as they were in the showers. We all complained about this. He used to have one of those MG BGT cars and would sit in it watching us play rugby in the rain on the playing fields by Park Road East. He used to live down at the bottom of Ford Hill as he used to tell us all and took 30 of us on a weekend Outward Bound course to "Oaklands" in Wales. Mr Smith was the geography teacher. Mr Astbury was the maths teacher at that stage, not a deputy head yet, that was in later years! We were taught without calculators in those days. Mr Malone was Biology, there was also a Mr Peck for English. He went to work in the 6th form college which was previously a school known as Bishop Challinor, they had a vile brown uniform. Maybe a Mrs Beacall for English too. I hated her too as she had her little favourites and complained about me wearing white socks. We all used to do it. Mr Gregory for Music was funny, he definitely had a problem with blood pressure. When we took no interest in his lesson he went wild.

When I got to the upper school in Park Road South I couldn't wait to leave. We had Mr Finch for French again, Mr Astbury for maths and Mr Maguire for maths (who went out with someone I now work with while she was in the 6th form), Mr Leat was the German teacher who also appeared "strange". Many stories about what literature was found in his staffroom locker, probably none of it true. Mr Malone was Biology and had only just left university, so was a laugh as a teacher. Miss Mathews was the RE teacher who was way out like a hippy and I can't remember who the other one was, even if she was my form teacher for years. Possibly a Miss Russell. The geology teacher was Mr Taylor who took us on trips to Thurstaston to draw bits of rock. Miss Semple for art, she was a nasty person trying to humiliate people in class all the time if they couldn't draw. I was thrown out of her class one day because I was no good at drawing people.
CDT was one of my favourite lessons with Mr Martin. He said to me one day that he appreciated a good piece of engineering with one of my projects for the GCSE exam. He was sick of all the girls making silly plastic toys! There was another teacher that worked with him and it might have been Mr Kinnear. I remember one day my hacksaw blade snapped as I was sawing a piece of metal in a vice. My wrist went right across the metal and put a 3inch slice in it from my hand up my arm, there was blood everywhere. When I went over to Mr Martin to ask for a plaster he nearly fainted and had to sit down in his little office. The other teacher put a plaster over it and I still have the scar to this day.
The physics teacher was about 90 and possibly Mr Kinsell, he had a huge lump like a nipple on his head that we used to laugh at. He was known affectionately as "tit head". Chemistry was a favourite lesson of mine, for the life of me I can't remember the teacher's name, he was tall, fat and had a black moustache - Mr Griffiths? That's going to annoy me all night now - I still have a load of my old school books and reports so will check when I get a minute.

I hated nearly every day of school so made sure I got an apprenticeship for when I left in 1988. The careers teacher was a waste of space, he never advised any of us when we said what we would like to do after leaving school. After 2 weeks of freedom I started in my first job, and have had a few since, but do something very different these days to what I did when I left school. I've even been on the dole a few times about 5 years after leaving school.

The main problem we had was poor teachers and idiots in the class that would mess about and ruin it for everyone else who wanted to learn.

The school on Park Road South has now had pupils from other schools incorporated in to it and lost it's name. I had some pupils with me a few months ago for work experience and they said it's now "University Academy" - and still rubbish. I often ask if they remember any of the teachers I knew.

So that's brought a lot of memories back, our class were even chosen to be prefects one year!!! I am not sure how the classes are now, but when I was there we had what were known as "streams" - P, A and R. I started in 1P2 and was in 5P2 when I left in 1988. There were houses too, Park, High and School and we got "house points" for doing various things and good work. It was like a competition and results announced at the assembly. My school day in 1P2, 2P2 were from 9am to 12.05 then back at 1.30pm until 4pm. That changed in the final 3 years to start at 9am, second bell at 9.02am (late after that!) until 12 and from 1.15 until 3.40pm. Something like that anyway.

On the way in the main gate of the Upper School on Park Road South was the caretaker's house on the right, then the boys changing rooms and gym. We had to go to the end and left, in through the door. There was some mad rule about walking UP the middle staircases only and down the ones at the sides. There were loads of mobile classrooms in the main playground by the CDT and technical drawing rooms.

School is one thing I don't miss, in a way Park High let the pupils down. From what various pupils we have for work experience say, it sounds as bad today as it was when I was there.

Thanks for the memories anyway. Sorry if the post is too long. I must read the rest of the posts now!

Posted By: covonia Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 13th Nov 2012 11:37pm
Originally Posted by 2005wireman
Mr maddocks History Very Good History Teacher.
Mr devitt english Very Good English Teacher Had a bet on his team arsenal losing against liverpool I won and he stuck to his part of the bet No english home work for a month.
Mr. Maguire Maths Sh-te Maths Teacher.
Mrs Potter English.
Mrs Stockdale History Nice Teacher But could Bite back if you got on the wrongside of her.
Mr Oulton History teacher Top Bloke.

Happy Days

I remember Stockdale, she could be a bit nasty if you said something she didn't like. Mr Oulton was the head of year when I went to the upper school in Park Road South. He was OK. They were some of the names I couldn't remember!

Posted By: MickyDee Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 13th Aug 2013 5:07pm
Just discovered this Forum as was trying to locate a few people I knew way back when I as at PHS.
It's a real laugh reading through the posts and hearing of other people's experiences there and recognising many of the teacher's names.
I went to PH upper school from 1972-75 so, I suppose, I must have been at PH lower school from 1969-72, or thereabouts.
The name Astbury gives me a chill. A great big lanky, creepy guy who taught us maths in lower school (in one of the top rooms in the old building). He used to bully me in every lesson. He would pick on me for doing absolutely nothing but sitting there and call "Michael Bow" (my surname then was Ball but he was a Cockney and couldn't pronounce it properly). He'd come over and haul me up by one of my sideburns and waggle me about making a tit of me in front of everyone. I was bright red with blushing then he'd make me stand in the corner, the side of my head swollen where he had pulled my hair. What a horrible wa**er, if I saw him now I'd probably give him a slap as I had a phobia about maths after that (or, at least, that's my excuse!).
I remember someone setting fire to the TD room curtains at lower school through the window with an effing great magnifying glass (I can remember the bloke's name, it was Derek McMahon). The fire bobbies had to come and the school was evacuated while they put the fire out just in time.
Someone mentioned the Park High Trophy. That was the miniature cricket bat awarded for the best sports team or something. However, it was used to punish errant boys who dared step out of line during games/PE and the main (and willing) user of it was BASHER BAIL. Mr Bail was a psycho, you just didn't mess with him. I reckon he must have been ex-army or something as he was as fit as a fiddle and as hard as nails.
Wood-Griffiths - ah yes, I remember him well enough. Used to strut around with an air of superiority although I think he was a good teacher, though I didn't have him. I was in A2/2A2/3A2 and he taught the P-streamers. Wood-Griffiths once sang to the school on stage but I don't remember anyone being much impressed. Very dapper looking chap and definitely a career teacher and heading for the top.
I remember Hurworth too. Ho was OK, a bit too laid back, but could be a real tw*t if he wanted to be. Used to fancy himself as a bit of a dandy driving round in his Citroen 2CV looking like a Frenchman in his hooped tee shirts (I think he even wore a beret). He lived in Oxton for a while, near to where I lived.
Cor, this has really stirred up a few memories for me and they are starting to come out of my head having been locked up for nearly forty years. I'll jot down a few more another time. Are we allowed to mention peoples names we knew, or is this forbidden under the forum/posting rules?

MickyDee.
Posted By: Pfloyd123 Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 21st Aug 2019 5:29pm
Oh yes I remember him

I was also remembering

Mr topping games great with the rugby
Mr astbury maths had a big slipper in his draw to smack your arse if you misbehave
Miss moreton art she was a sexy red head
Mr kinsell science boring voice
Miss banfi English very very nice
Posted By: Pfloyd123 Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 21st Aug 2019 5:31pm
Wood griffiths was in the lower school , upper school mr Hobson
Mr astbury kept a big slipper in his draw
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Park High School, Birkenhead, - 21st Aug 2019 9:11pm
Originally Posted by Pfloyd123
upper school mr Hobson

Mr Hopson, ex deputy at Rock Ferry High School. Taught English at Rock Ferry
© Wirral-Wikiwirral