Forums
Posted By: venice Birkenhead Market. - 4th Aug 2018 6:54pm
Would love to be able to zoom back for a day to see the old market in all its glory. I remember it on this site, but not of course as far back when horses appeared to draw the stalls into place.

I still cant manage converting into a pic sorry - if someone fancies doing it please .

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/66/e6/bd66e68bb48a9765c97fbdd5ed085b96.jpg
Posted By: Habdab Re: Birkenhead Market. - 5th Aug 2018 7:41pm
I remember the night it went up in flames, I was working in Bowater's in Ellesmere Port and you could see the flames from the roof of the Mill. I drove past it in the morning, What a sad sight.
Posted By: joney Re: Birkenhead Market. - 6th Aug 2018 6:40am
I was taken there by my mother when I was very young sometime in the 30s at xmas. I remember rows of birds hanging up and outside stalls with hissing carbide lamps ,it was also the place where we went down the side to be issued with our gas masks in 39.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Birkenhead Market. - 6th Aug 2018 7:52am
Originally Posted by venice
Would love to be able to zoom back for a day to see the old market in all its glory. I remember it on this site, but not of course as far back when horses appeared to draw the stalls into place.

I still cant manage converting into a pic sorry - if someone fancies doing it please .

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/66/e6/bd66e68bb48a9765c97fbdd5ed085b96.jpg

Just for you Venice, the picture posted.

Attached picture MARKET.JPG
Posted By: venice Re: Birkenhead Market. - 6th Aug 2018 2:39pm
Many thanks Nigel!
Posted By: peodude Re: Birkenhead Market. - 7th Aug 2018 3:30pm
I didn't realise that the frontage on the current market was a copy of the old market.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead Market. - 7th Aug 2018 5:11pm
Originally Posted by peodude
I didn't realise that the frontage on the current market was a copy of the old market.

Neither did I but as its half the height its nowhere near as impressive.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral