Forums
Posted By: mikeeb Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 4th Aug 2016 11:16pm
Why was it actually abandoned?
The tunnel was designed for tram use
Birkenhead was against it because of the ferry but that doesn't make sense. Did Birkenhead control the ferry?
They controlled a lot of trams so would have benefited
I know Wallasey, Bootle and the trains were not happy but who actually put the spanner in the works?

"As you can see, the Tunnel is circular. The roadway occupies the top half. The bottom was intended to be for a train or electric tramway, but that never happened."
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MikeT Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 5th Aug 2016 11:55am
I've been in the bit under the roadway (the bottom half). It's full of pipes and wires but could be turned into a second deck or a railway line.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 5th Aug 2016 1:52pm
Originally Posted by mikeeb
Why was it actually abandoned?
The tunnel was designed for tram use
Birkenhead was against it because of the ferry but that doesn't make sense. Did Birkenhead control the ferry?
They controlled a lot of trams so would have benefited
I know Wallasey, Bootle and the trains were not happy but who actually put the spanner in the works?

I don't know why the trams never ran: possibly Liverpool and Birkenhead couldn't reach agreement.
The ferry was always the Birkenhead ferry, from when the initial charter was granted to the priory by Edward 3rd. in 1330. The ferry was eventually taken over by Birkenhead Corporation in 1858.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 5th Aug 2016 2:35pm
I cannot seem to find a definitive answer
Maybe it wasn't worth it financially, I just don't know
Posted By: bert1 Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 5th Aug 2016 2:55pm
There's no mention of tramcars running or intending to run through the Queensway tunnel in any of the papers I am able to search, however there's plenty on Motor Buses providing the service, of course with the usual objections,

Snippet from 1939,

Attached picture bus1.PNG
Attached picture bus2.PNG
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 5th Aug 2016 3:11pm
Hmmm, Birkenhead were objecting to buses as well
Nice find Bert
From what I read they were still disputing the tram issue whilst it was getting built, but just continued building it that way because they had already started
You would think company's on both sides of the river would have been all over any new venture.
were they more tightly regulated back then?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 5th Aug 2016 3:48pm
Regardless of whatever the regulations were back then, any form of public transport travelling through the tunnel would have raised objections from the ferries and the railways.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 5th Aug 2016 4:47pm
The original plan was to have trams. Quote from "The Story of the Mersey Tunnel, officially named Queensway"

"In this, the original scheme, through tram services between Liverpool and Cheshire boroughs were a prominent feature. It was for that reason that the great diameter of 44 ft. was provided for throughout, except in the branches, a diameter sufficient for four lanes of traffic on the upper deck and two sets of tram rails on the lower".

The tram plan seems to have been abandoned at the same time as the Wallasey and Bootle tunnels were. there is a vague reference to "Birkenhead's opposition to trams" but I cant find any reason for that, although it could have been because of the effect on the Birkenhead owned ferry.

Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 5th Aug 2016 4:53pm
I suppose so, Wallasey and Bootle out of the running would just add more opposition
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 5th Aug 2016 6:19pm
Here it is
I have read through the article again here

"One was opposition from Birkenhead who wanted to protect their Ferries, another was that the government had said that they would reduce their contribution if a tramway was laid. The Tunnel would however still be excavated and built for most of it's length with a massive space under the roadway designed for the Tramway."

So it was down to money. When isn't it? grin

Posted By: bert1 Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 7:07am
Came across this 1933 report,

Did they cover the road surface with these tiles and how long was it before they recovered with an alternative surface?

Attached picture tunnel tiles.PNG
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 9:22am
Yes, the cast iron tiles were about a foot square with a studded surface and they were set in a bitumen compound. I don't know when they were tarmac'd over. There's a good picture of them being laid in the book "The Story of the Mersey Tunnel, officially named Queensway". You used to be able to buy this book for £5 at the tunnel HQ. It's a facsimile reprint of the original which was published for the opening in 1934. It's the most comprehensive book on the tunnel that I know.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 9:35am
It would seem that it was an experiment and only used in sections
1935 communication
" 25. Captain STRICKLAND
asked the Minister of Transport whether he has received any reports on the success or otherwise of the experimental iron roads, particularly with regard to the safe use of them by solo motor cyclists?

The MINISTER of TRANSPORT (Mr. Hore-Belisha)

The reports which I have received on the experimental lengths of iron paving laid in different localities indicate that the material is generally satisfactory, but I shall be very pleased to receive any reports from motor cyclists, who have not made any special representations to me, or, indeed, from any other road users.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1935/jul/03/experimental-iron-paving
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 10:04am
I guess this space is now stuffed with pipes and cables and no longer usable for transport.

I always thought travellators would be a good way of putting it to use. Expensive perhaps, but think of the advertising space it would provide. I'm sure that would pull in a good income. They seem slow, but gain by the fact that you don't have to wait for the next tram/bus/ train so they end up being a surprisingly good way of moving large numbers of people quickly.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 12:30pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Yes, the cast iron tiles were about a foot square with a studded surface and they were set in a bitumen compound. I don't know when they were tarmac'd over. There's a good picture of them being laid in the book "The Story of the Mersey Tunnel, officially named Queensway". You used to be able to buy this book for £5 at the tunnel HQ. It's a facsimile reprint of the original which was published for the opening in 1934. It's the most comprehensive book on the tunnel that I know.

Thanks Chris.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 12:34pm
1935 communication
" 25. Captain STRICKLAND
asked the Minister of Transport whether he has received any reports on the success or otherwise of the experimental iron roads, particularly with regard to the safe use of them by solo motor cyclists?

The reports which I have received on the experimental lengths of iron paving laid in different localities indicate that the material is generally satisfactory, but I shall be very pleased to receive any reports from motor cyclists, who have not made any special representations to me, or, indeed, from any other road users.

Thanks Mike.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 4:21pm
1935 communication
" 25. Captain STRICKLAND

I'm inclined to disagree, for the following reasons:
1). I think that Hore-Belisha (Belisha crossings), when he says "in different localities" that he meant on different sites around the country; he wouldn't have used the word "localities" if he'd meant on the same site.

2). The book says "A contract was entered into between the principle contractors and the Stanton Iron Works Co. Ltd. whereby they undertook to supply nearly half a million square sections of cast iron...whilst over 25,000 plain half sections were also supplied for the channels. In addition to these, special size sections were manufactured to provide the roadway in the two junction chambers."
The roadway surface is 36 feet wide: if we agree that each tile is 1 foot square (see picture), then 450,000 would cover a length of about 12,500 feet, or over 2.3 miles.
As far as I can tell, only where the tunnel crossed the Mersey Railway tunnel were 2000 square yards of rubber paving blocks on a cast iron base laid to reduce vibration.

Attached picture Laying setts.JPG
Attached picture rubber.JPG
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 5:05pm
Well spotted Chris
Your mind is sharp wink
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 9:34pm
Well spotted Chris
Your mind is sharp wink

I wish my body were as sharp. I was educated when grammar was still important; linguistic subtleties too.
If you're interested in the tunnel, you should ring George's dock and see if the book is still available.
Posted By: yoller Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 10:45pm
There are a few copies of the Mersey Tunnel book for sale on the abe books website, starting around £9 plus postage ...

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=The+Mersey+Tunnel%2C+story+of+an+undertaking
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 10:56pm
I wish my body were as sharp. I was educated when grammar was still important; linguistic subtleties too.
If you're interested in the tunnel, you should ring George's dock and see if the book is still available.

That's the problem with old age. My Grandad was the sharpest I knew and, ah well frown
Regarding your question. I am (or one is wink ) interested in the tunnel and would ask, is the book worth £15? if you say it is then that is a good buy.
You will not get it for £5 because it seems a bit rare now
I was looking on amazon and it averages between 10 and 15 pounds.
Georges dock building. Night, Day and Speed I want to know more of
That speed sculpture should be next to a Rodin laugh
Posted By: yoller Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 11:01pm
Incidentally, I lived about 100 yards from the Queensway Tunnel entrance when I was a child and it was an endlessly busy, fascinating place to young eyes. The traffic jams that built up on all the surrounding roads, especially of a Friday evening, were something to see.

The tunnel was also handy when the shilling ran out in the leccy or gas meter at home. If the shops were closed, we would dash across to the toll booths with a handful of change - nimbly weaving in and out of the cars - to ask the booth man for a 'silver shilling'.

On the subject of the road surface: My memory may be fooling me, but I seem to remember that the roadway at the entrance to the tunnel was made of large metal sheets covered in tarmac, not small tiles. In the summer heat, the tarmac boiled up into big bubbles, which we kids took delight in bursting - again risking being run over.

Thank God health and safety hadn't been invented then!
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 11:05pm
Originally Posted by yoller
There are a few copies of the Mersey Tunnel book for sale on the abe books website, starting around £9 plus postage ...

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=The+Mersey+Tunnel%2C+story+of+an+undertaking

Hi yoller
That book seems to be called 'The Mersey Tunnels: The Story of an Undertaking'
The book Chris was referring to was 'The Story of The Mersey Tunnel Officially named Queensway'

These are 2 different books aren't there?
Posted By: yoller Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 11:09pm
You're right - my mistake. Yes, they are two different books and the one recommended by Chris, 'The Story of The Mersey Tunnel Officially Named Queensway' is the better one. Sorry about that.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 11:13pm
Incidentally, I lived about 100 yards from the Queensway Tunnel entrance when I was a child and it was an endlessly busy, fascinating place to young eyes. The traffic jams that built up on all the surrounding roads, especially of a Friday evening, were something to see.

The tunnel was also handy when the shilling ran out in the leccy or gas meter at home. If the shops were closed, we would dash across to the toll booths with a handful of change - nimbly weaving in and out of the cars - to ask the booth man for a 'silver shilling'.

On the subject of the road surface: My memory may be fooling me, but I seem to remember that the roadway at the entrance to the tunnel was made of large metal sheets covered in tarmac, not small tiles. In the summer heat, the tarmac boiled up into big bubbles, which we kids took delight in bursting - again risking being run over.

Thank God health and safety hadn't been invented then!

"The traffic jams that built up on all the surrounding roads, especially of a Friday evening, were something to see"
Thanks for sharing yoller, love it happy
I wish I was kid again
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 6th Aug 2016 11:16pm
You're right - my mistake. Yes, they are two different books and the one recommended by Chris, 'The Story of The Mersey Tunnel Officially Named Queensway' is the better one. Sorry about that.
Do you have them both yoller?
Posted By: yoller Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 7th Aug 2016 7:27am
Unfortunately, I haven't got either of the books. I did have 'the story of an undertaking' many years ago, but don't know what has happened to it. However, I have read both books and it was probably in Liverpool Central Library, where I did some research about the tunnel a while back. I think there may also be copies of the books in Birkenhead Reference Library and at Wirral Archives. It might be worth enquiring at these places.
Posted By: joney Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 7th Aug 2016 9:56am
Some years ago I was in Harrogate and asked for directions from a smart old gent wearing a blazer with a Royal Engineers badge.On hearing my accent he said he was on Merseyside during the war as a major running a bomb disposal unit and the first place he was directed to set up a workshop was in the bottom half of the Mersey tunnel.He said at the time it was a dangerous place to handle explosives but was ignored and told to carry on and did so until about a year later when he was moved to a better place. So we could have ended up with a disaster.
Posted By: joney Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 7th Aug 2016 9:57am
Some years ago I was in Harrogate and asked for directions from a smart old gent wearing a blazer with a Royal Engineers badge.On hearing my accent he said he was on Merseyside during the war as a major running a bomb disposal unit and the first place he was directed to set up a workshop was in the bottom half of the Mersey tunnel.He said at the time it was a dangerous place to handle explosives but was ignored and told to carry on and did so until about a year later when he was moved to a better place. So we could have ended up with a disaster.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 7th Aug 2016 11:55am
Unfortunately, I haven't got either of the books. I did have 'the story of an undertaking' many years ago, but don't know what has happened to it. However, I have read both books and it was probably in Liverpool Central Library, where I did some research about the tunnel a while back. I think there may also be copies of the books in Birkenhead Reference Library and at Wirral Archives. It might be worth enquiring at these places.

Chris has pointed out a shop I can get to on foot
Going to check it out tomorrow happy

Thanks for sharing joney
I did not know there was a bomb disposal unit in the tunnel
Was the usual traffic still commuting through it?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 7th Aug 2016 10:39pm
This is interesting: a postcard showing the roadway paved with the cast iron setts, but not in the pattern shown in the earlier picture in this thread and the setts appear to be rectangular.
Is this really a photo, as indicated, or is it a drawing?
eBay item number:291640244654
Posted By: bert1 Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 5:42am
This is interesting: a postcard showing the roadway paved with the cast iron setts, but not in the pattern shown in the earlier picture in this thread and the setts appear to be rectangular.
Is this really a photo, as indicated, or is it a drawing?
eBay item number:291640244654

Drawing me finks.

Attached picture tun tiles.PNG
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 9:07am
That's what I thought, Bert; just that the seller says "This is a photographic postcard".
Posted By: joney Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 9:26am
The B.D.U was in the bottom half.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 9:58am
Originally Posted by joney
The B.D.U was in the bottom half.

Sorry, what's B.D.U.?
Posted By: Norton Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 11:21am
Would that be 'Bomb Disposal Unit', given the reference to explosives?

Now, winding back a few days - a reference to the trams.
From 'A History of Crosville Motor Services' (R.C. Anderson, 1981)

"The Mersey Tunnel was constructed in tubular form with the roadway cutting through the centre axis of the tube making an upper and lower section, with the intention that trams should run through the lower section. It was largely due to the fact that Liverpool was still developing its tramway system in 1935 when the tunnel was completed, while Birkenhead was scrapping its trams, that this through operation never came to pass. Long arguments were going on right up to the outbreak of war in 1939 between the corporations of Liverpool, Birkenhead and Wallasey, with the Mersey Railway as a critically interested third party. It was because of these arguments that the opposition to the Crosville application was so strong, and that no bus service, even municipal, ran through the tunnel until the advent of the PTE, apart from an emergency service during World War II when the ferries were temporarily closed.
However, a bus service did connect Liverpool and Birkenhead as early as 20 September, 1909 when the Great Western Railway’s road motor department introduced a service between Liverpool and Birkenhead (Woodside) GWR railway stations. Three buses were used, and besides calling at various fixed points in Liverpool (as per printed timetable) arrangements could be made to pick-up groups at a pre-arranged originating points. Buses were conveyed across the River Mersey on the luggage ferry boat. The service was not considered successful and it was withdrawn in December 1909."

n.b. Crosville was an old established bus company based in Chester, providing services on Wirral, Liverpool, North and Mid-Wales, Runcorn and Warrington. It had been part of the Tilling group and therefore had integrated links with the likes of Ribble and other bus operating companies in other parts of the country, all of which became part of NBC (National Bus Company). The most visible aspect of this (in later years) was that their buses were either National Leaf Green or Poppy Red (with a white band), while the coaches were all white.
The Group was too large and successful for the Government of the 1980's and like many others, was split-up by Act of Parliament.
Through a series of changes, the former Crosville Rock Ferry Depot is now a Stagecoach one, but it was from here that the Liverpool to London X1 overnight express services coaches began their evening run.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 12:03pm
Thanks, Norton; of course, now you mention it, Birkenhead's trams were finished altogether in 1937, although the process had started much earlier.
Oh, and thanks for the translation of B.D.U.
Posted By: Norton Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 1:00pm
Fake, Photo or Creative artwork? (Answers on a postcard - a real photograph one, naturally.)

I refer of course, to the picture in a previous reply used to demonstrate the metal tiles of the roadway. I think it could have been derived from the one attached (below) which is obviously just before it opened to traffic.

I'm not sure if I remember them all the way through, but certainly at the mouth of the tunnel there is a drain channel running across. They are like a series of cast iron covers with little squares on the top, just like the tiles were, but with a drainage slot in the top. Usually there is a loose one or a sunken one to let you know the change of surface.

Naturally, it is quite possible that they were replaced during a resurfacing, but I seem to think that that was the boundary.
Also, I suspect that resurfacing has taken place about every 25 years. I've got mental pointers to these dates, but I'd say 1958, 1983 & 2008 - something like that. Note that the section from the toll booths to the tunnel mouth grating was not done until a couple of years after the last general resurfacing.

On each resurfacing, the double white line and rumble strip has been of a different design and spacing, so that might be a clue when looking at old photographs.

Description: Original metal surface.
Attached picture img756 (2).jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 2:03pm
I'm sure that when I used to occasionally cycle through the tunnel in the early 50's that the surface was tarmac: those cast iron setts would have been lethal to a bike.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 6:26pm
Purchased the book "The Story Of The Mersey Tunnel - Officially Named Queensway"
There was a sign in bookshop window saying "Back in 5 Minutes"
After waiting 10 minutes and still not returned I decided to get in my car and search for a phone number for the shop but could not find one.
Was looking on his amazon page and found this review on the book grin
I take it that was you Chris?
"The Bible" hahaha, I like it
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Mersey-Tunnel-Officially-Queensway/dp/B005E9K73M#customerReviews
£11.95, a bargain and in excellent condition (like new)
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 8th Aug 2016 9:26pm
Glad you got it: yes, that's my review.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 9th Aug 2016 12:17pm
An interesting 1937 article printed in "The Wonders of World Engineering" here:

Article

None of it answers any questions in this thread as far as I can see - but an interesting piece nonetheless.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 9th Aug 2016 3:02pm
Originally Posted by billy_anorak59
An interesting 1937 article printed in "The Wonders of World Engineering" here:

Article

None of it answers any questions in this thread as far as I can see - but an interesting piece nonetheless.

Yes, thanks. I saw that; someone linked it, possibly on another thread. As you say, a good article, and many more on the site.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Trams through Birkenhead tunnel - 9th Aug 2016 3:47pm
Yes, it is in the ventilation shaft thread
© Wirral-Wikiwirral