Forums
Posted By: granny The Big Freeze of 1963 - 29th Nov 2014 9:31pm
Some interesting vehicles in this. Old ladies wearing those very 'practical' galoshes over their shoes. No central heating in those days, and by jingo....the days when trees were pruned !!

The second vid is of a train journey during the same winter. Right up your street Pinz

[youtube]DalYSIRU4rQ[/youtube]

[youtube]cl4pJwcE7JI[/youtube]

Posted By: snowhite Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 29th Nov 2014 10:01pm
Does Pinz love brass monkey weather Granny?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 29th Nov 2014 10:15pm
Way before my time but I bet the schools and other public institutions did not close down......
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 29th Nov 2014 10:40pm
Thanks for sharing those clips Granny. Not seen the first one before - fascinating indeed. The latter one is a favourite of mine. The days when steam was still around but being given the heave-ho by new fangled diesels. Very atmospheric stuff. Not a high vis jacket in sight! The cloth cap was de rigueur, and gloves were for wimps!

@ Snowhite.. Not very much... Things tend to drop off !!
@ Rude.. You are so right. From memory, few schools closed, in the Prenton area anyway. We were frozen up at home for quite a while. Mum put buckets of snow in the old gas boiler in the wash house to melt for drinking etc. Happy days (?) I remember the long period of very low temps rather than the snow. Just depended on where you lived I suppose.
Posted By: chriskay Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 29th Nov 2014 10:58pm
I remember 1963 well. I was commuting between Harrow and Handley Page, Radlett on a Lambretta scooter.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 29th Nov 2014 11:35pm
Interesting electric warming pan thingy at 7.21 in the first vid. Orchestral soundtrack way over the top, but footage good!
Posted By: yoller Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 30th Nov 2014 1:25am
Brilliant footage - thanks for posting it. The winter of 1962-63 still makes me shiver when I think of it.

As I remember, the temperature dropped below freezing on Boxing Day and stayed below freezing until mid-March.

Everywhere was covered in a deep blanket of snow. In the towns, it was bad enough, but in the remoter parts of the West Country it was truly awful - there were drifts up to 40ft deep.

One particular memory is of two kids in school hauling a crate of milk into the classroom (we still got free milk in those days) and it was just a solid lump of ice. It never thawed out in time to drink it.

As has been mentioned, few houses had central heating and it was a real battle to keep warm. But you could always take a grill plate out of the fireside oven and wrap it in a towel to heat up your bed.

And, as kids, we loved the snow and ice - making slides in the back entries and having snowball fights.

The thing is, no one made a fuss about it. It was just something you had to put up with. Everyone got on with it and disruption was kept to a minimum. We never missed a day's school and my father - who was a labourer working on the roads - never missed a day's work.

By contrast today, when the first flake of snow falls, there's 24-hour rolling news coverage, crisis talk, Government ministers all over the airwaves, school closures, traffic chaos, general panic and everyone stays at home.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 30th Nov 2014 10:14am
Another thing about the Big Freeze of '63 was having a dirty great welding generator (I think they were loaned by Lairds) at the end of our road and Woodchurch Road. This was to warm up the main supply pipe under the pavement to get the water running again. Pipes were iron or lead shocked in those days of course. Heavy cable the length of the road connected to the nearest hydrant. Return circuit was the pipe back to the genny. From memory, it DID work - then re-froze a day or two later.

Does anyone else remember this? It wouldn't work these days of course as A) most pipes are plastic. B) the heavy welding cable would "vanish" within the hour and C) The H&S Stazi would crap themselves!
Posted By: fish5133 Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 30th Nov 2014 3:51pm
was living in kent then as a nipper can remember the snow over my head where it had drifted by the back door. We didn't care as kids then-- but maybe our mums and dads were worried about freezing pipes etc.
Posted By: casper Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 30th Nov 2014 6:21pm
Yes sure brings back memories especially the railway one, going up to Glasgow to join a ship, all those snow covered fields and frosted windows.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 30th Nov 2014 6:42pm
By heck, some memories there.
I was commuting from Woodside to Carlett Park, Eastham each weekday on a James 198cc 2-stroke bike. No helmet in those days just an ex-USA Korean war fuzzy lined cap with ear flaps. Was a bit cool but we only came off once so far as I remember.

I can remember chunks of ice at the edge of the Mersey some days, all the Bidston Moss streams frozen solid for weeks and weeks and folk walking across the "Triangle" pond.

Snod
Posted By: marty99fred Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 1st Dec 2014 3:44pm
As Pinz says I don't remember many schools closing. I'd just started at Bidston Avenue School, and I remember trekking to school every morning with my mum through snow up to my knees. I had wellies on of course, but because I was in the Infants Dept long trousers were not permitted, so boys had to make do with shorts and bare legs! At least the girls could wear thick woolly tights under their skirts...
Posted By: jimbob Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 1st Dec 2014 8:07pm
Working on the build of a frigate { HMS Ajax} in Lairds 1962/63 and it was more than cold. Walking to work each morning from Larch road.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 1st Dec 2014 10:29pm
I remember tobogganing at the bottom of Vaughn and Dalmorton Rd

down to the icy prom. Looking back, could have easily gone through

the railing into the beckoning Mersey. A few of my 9 lives used

up in those days.
Posted By: granny Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 4th Dec 2014 11:46am
Skidding around every possible corner when going to school.

Wellington boots, double socks and pain like hell when trying to defrost toes. ......and those damn paraffin heaters. Always the niff of paraffin heaters! Plus frozen water pipes and bursts for many. Disaster !

It should have served you well Snowshoes, considering your present habitat smile
Posted By: snowshoes Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 4th Dec 2014 1:33pm
Yes granny I can relate to everything you said, including
the burst pipes. Going to bed frozen with water dripping
from the ceiling onto the bed. And yes, in retrospect it
set me up well for present habitat. lol
Posted By: locomotive Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 4th Dec 2014 6:26pm
1963 I used to live opposite Landigan Lane,(the old one opposite New Hey Rd., not the new one which was moved when they built the M53) it was blocked solid for months, even Duncan's farm tractors were struggling, I think they used the Thingwall corner entrance, I remember Esso Blue and Aladdin Pink Parafin, a van used to come round the Woodchurch Estate delivering it. I think everybody had a Parafin heater in the hall or on the landing. When you're kids snow is fantastic, unfortunately I was 21 then and having to go to work on a push bike, no fun at all. Nobody missed work, schools didn't close, life just carried on as normal except it was b****y cold, ice on the inside of your bedroom window was the norm. It reminds me of the joke Tom O'connor used to tell about the kids in bed and the parents had visitors down stairs, one of the kids shouts down "Mum, the overcoat's fell off the bed", Mother goes upstairs and tells the kids off, and says we've got visitors, it's not an overcoat it's an eiderdown. Mother goes back downstairs, half an hour later a tiny voice shouts "Mum, the sleeve's come off the eiderdown".

(for the benefit of our younger members, substitute Duvet for Eiderdown)
Posted By: yoller Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 4th Dec 2014 8:31pm
Thanks, everyone, for your memories of that unbelievable winter - it's really enjoyable reading them. Another thing that sticks in my mind is that outside the front door of almost every house you'd see a big streak of black across the snow. This was where people had scattered clinkers or ashes from the firegrate to make a non-slip surface. It was simple but effective.
Where we lived, there was a piece of wasteland used by the council to dump lorryloads of snow that had been cleared from the roads. We had a brilliant time playing on those big frozen mounds, sliding down them or burrowing into them to make igloos.
Posted By: granny Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 4th Dec 2014 10:23pm
....and the poor folk who only had an outside toilet. Bad enough at the best of times !!

Ice on the inside of windows and massive icicles on the outside, which we would break off and then suck them. eek

We lived in a smallish road, but all able bodied neighbours came out in community spirit , with shovels and brushes to clear as much as possible , making pathways along the pavements, and the road. Not so many cars then, which was probably a blessing.(Only one in our road) Each neighbour was given a tot of something during the course of the day, probably to keep their spirits up. They all seemed very jovial and I remember the light fading by the time they had finished. So a few hours of hard labour.......never did anyone any harm laugh
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 24th Dec 2014 7:27pm
Unfortunately I was in Mauritius then, I was however informed of it when I got back home in May 64.
happy
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: The Big Freeze of 1963 - 26th Dec 2014 4:00pm
Awesome post granny, thanks for sharing.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral