Forums
Posted By: granny Trades in Poulton/Wallasey in 16th/17thcentury - 16th Oct 2014 10:05pm

I've been trying to find anything which would indicate, trades in the Poulton or Wallasey areas during the 16th and 17th centuries.

With that in mind I wondered why the Cheshire Cheese Pub was so called. Apparently the name of the pub was mentioned in 1500's and although it has moved from it's original home, Wallasey Village has changed much. The first Cheshire Cheese was taken by road to London from Chester in 1623, and hence forth taken by sailing vessels as it was in great demand and classed as the best in the country.
I wondered if the pub could have any connections with the cheese being made in or shipped from this area also.
Anyone know of any other trades. I thought I read somewhere and can't remember where, that there was leather tanning in Poulton, which would have been a perfect area with the river and the oak trees.
I think cordwaining was also in Poulton/Wallasey area.

Anyone?
Anything helpful in 'The Rise and Progress of Wallasey'? Should be in the reference library. My earliest traced ancestor (on Dad's side) was a cordwainer just outside Plymouth in the 1700s. If there was tanning going on around Poulton, that would have tied in well with shoemaking.
As a totally off-topic aside, virtually all Cheshire cheese is now made in Shropshire, including my favourite; Appleby's unpasteurised.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral