Forums
Posted By: IrishSeaShipping Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 3rd Oct 2014 11:27pm
I have posted a selection of photos which I took around the Birkenhead Docklands during the period 1992 - 1997.

Click on the link to access:

http://jhlphotography.smugmug.com/T...tage-Infrastuctur/Birkenhead-Docklands-/
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 4th Oct 2014 12:06am
Great pics, sorry but I copied loads.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 4th Oct 2014 12:23am
Loved this one..

Attached picture aaaaaaBHEAD_02_92_12-M.jpg
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 4th Oct 2014 11:51am
Smashing pics. At least our docks haven't been disfigured by all those unsightly containers which the dock board tried to lumber us with. The dockers soon knocked that in the head.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 5th Oct 2014 1:57pm
Just wondering how many dockers are employed in the docks now and how many would have been employed if the dockers allowed the containers in the docks, in shooting foot yourself comes to mind.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 5th Oct 2014 3:05pm
Originally Posted by davew3
Just wondering how many dockers are employed in the docks now and how many would have been employed if the dockers allowed the containers in the docks, in shooting foot yourself comes to mind.

Has anyone seen a docker in Birkenhead docks?.
Posted By: IrishSeaShipping Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 5th Oct 2014 6:21pm
An interesting read on life in Birkenhead Docks is "Rogue Docker" published by Amberley Press.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 5th Oct 2014 7:12pm
Just been looking at your Liverpool Docklands pics, great stuff
http://jhlphotography.smugmug.com/T...ritage-Infrastuctur/Liverpool-Docklands/
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 6th Oct 2014 3:42am
Originally Posted by IrishSeaShipping
I have posted a selection of photos which I took around the Birkenhead Docklands during the period 1992 - 1997.

Click on the link to access:

http://jhlphotography.smugmug.com/T...tage-Infrastuctur/Birkenhead-Docklands-/

Excellent those, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 6th Oct 2014 10:23am
davew3. Watched a bit on The One Show last week which showed Felixstowe docks, all stacked up with containers and it was as busy as heck. Cranes working, trucks, dockers, ships, tugs, bang, bang, bang. That's what made me think when I looked at the pics of the docks here as it was,before these pics were taken, and when I look at it now when I'm going across the bridges. Self shooting of the foot was certainly what I was thinking of. Thing is, will we ever learn?
boohoo
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 6th Oct 2014 10:35am
They did come to Merseyside, out at Seaforth, next to the new generation deep water births being built now. Birkenhead was never in the run for containers. Liverpool is still breaking port tonnage records modernization took the jobs not a refusal to embrace change.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 7th Oct 2014 11:14am
You're missing my point, all this could've been done in the 60's and it was a missed opportunity. I was looking forward to starting my new career as a docker after leaving the RN but the docks was already on it's knees compared to what it was. I'm from docker stock so don't really need a lecture on how the docks work. I'm just stating my opinion, to which I'm entitled. The golden goose was slaughtered but at least the unions, Prescott in particular, got a feed off it.
I didn't realise they were doing water births out at Seaforth, usually a warm bath full does it.
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 7th Oct 2014 2:47pm
No lecture intended," a discourse on any subject" is what I intended thank you for the "reprimand"
What could of been done in the sixties? Nearly every major port in the world was building deep water container BERTHS in the sixties.
The Merchant navy had a six week strike in sixty six, and was almost extinct by the mid seventies. John Prescott was a MN union official and then a MN sponsored labour MP. What is Docker Stock an oxo cube normally does it for me.
Posted By: granny Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 7th Oct 2014 7:50pm
Having lived in Felixstowe and husband was employed in the shipping industry at the time. During the late eighties and early nineties the docks were beginning to struggle.
However, it was suggested to the dock workers that they took a reduction in pay, to which they almost unanimously agreed, thus saving their jobs. We can see how productive they are now, but to be honest they have a different attitude to work down there, which obviously benefits.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 8th Oct 2014 12:43pm
I should follow my own advice and never go on a social networking site and make comments when I've got a hangover. Things don't come out the way they're supposed to. Oh, well, back on the thrash this weekend.
party
Posted By: Tatey Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 9th Oct 2014 6:42am
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
I should follow my own advice and never go on a social networking site and make comments when I've got a hangover. Things don't come out the way they're supposed to. Oh, well, back on the thrash this weekend.
party

BANDY, you wimp! why wait until the weekend?
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 9th Oct 2014 7:08am
Driving down today Tatey, can't drive that distance (to Pompey) with a high alcohol level. Should be a good thrash though. You have a nice weekend yourself now and don't over do it.
hi
Posted By: Tatey Re: Birkenhead Docklands 1992 - 1997 - 9th Oct 2014 4:35pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Driving down today Tatey, can't drive that distance (to Pompey) with a high alcohol level. Should be a good thrash though. You have a nice weekend yourself now and don't over do it.
hi

I will try not to, but it will be an effort. Happy sandy bottoms to you.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral