Forums
Posted By: CateJones Eastham Landing Stage - 6th Aug 2014 7:24pm
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could answer this..

On a walk from Eastham woods, along the waterfront, we passed an old Landing Stage for ships. It had gates on, but a few people fishing.

Can anyone tell me what this was used for? There doesn't seem to be any nearby buildings it could have serviced!

Thanks
Cate
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Eastham Landing Stage - 6th Aug 2014 8:11pm
Where you where standing was the old coal fired power station and this is where the barges brought the coal in. It closed in the eighties and unlike the Bromborough power station i think this one ran into the national grid.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/288885/Unilever_s_Power_Stations.html
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Eastham Landing Stage - 7th Aug 2014 7:21am
As Pace said - the coaling wharf for the CEGB Power station. When the place was operational, I remember it having a crane on it that had a grab which would be lowered into the boats on the river. Usually with mounds of coal on it too.
A modern picture here (I take it this is what you saw on your walk): Clicky

This is an aerial view of the power station in the late 60s/early 70s - the two chimney stacks of the power station itself can be seen smoking away, and the wharf is top right:

Attached picture bromPwrStn3.jpg
Posted By: CateJones Re: Eastham Landing Stage - 7th Aug 2014 10:36pm
Ahh that's fantastic, thank you guys!

We saw an old electricity box there, so figured there must have been some sort of crane, we just couldn't figure out what for! It's a shame to see it sat there not doing anything now tho.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral