Forums
Posted By: venice Picture houses - 17th Oct 2013 1:16pm
Just been looking at 1965 local newspapers I found. One listed what was on at 'local' Wirral cinemas. Can you believe that then, there were 33 of them!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Picture houses - 17th Oct 2013 1:38pm
I'm sure chriskay will chime in on this post. He was a projectionist at the Plaza for a while.** There is a book on the subject which may be of interest......

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/...er-Screens-of-Wirral/ListingDetails.html

1/6d in the stalls - Happy Days !! grin

** Or maybe he played the piano for the silent movies! raftl
(Sorry Chris)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Picture houses - 17th Oct 2013 1:51pm
Previously,

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/183898/1.html
Posted By: chriskay Re: Picture houses - 17th Oct 2013 3:08pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
I'm sure chriskay will chime in on this post. He was a projectionist at the Plaza for a while.** There is a book on the subject which may be of interest......

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/...er-Screens-of-Wirral/ListingDetails.html

1/6d in the stalls - Happy Days !! grin

** Or maybe he played the piano for the silent movies! raftl
(Sorry Chris)

The Plaza AND the Ritz. In those days (1950's) if you got bored with one job you just quit and got another.
I never learned to play the piano, but a contemporary at school; I wouldn't call him a mate, played the organ in the school chapel and occasionally the Compton organ at the Plaza.
I believe it's below my dignity to react to the silent movie jibe.

Thanks for providing the link, Bert.
Posted By: venice Re: Picture houses - 17th Oct 2013 4:41pm
Tsst Pinz! You're in trouble! Ha!
Amazing that they were so popular . Bet there's not many old film questions you dont know the answer to then Chris! I presume you could have been a stand in for a remake for some of the more popular ones. Word perfect! Those were the days eh , when you could move round picking and choosing jobs.
Ill find the page and list the Wallasey area ones if anyone is interested , just let me know.
Wow, that book is one specialized bit of info, isnt it.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Picture houses - 17th Oct 2013 8:59pm
Chriskay, I wish you lived nearby as I'd love you to spend an hour or two chatting with my elderly uncle. He's 86 now and almost blind, but his life's love was and still is anything to do with cinemas and projectors. When I visit him, he talks of all the old places such as The Gaumont (sp?) and others that I just don't remember.

It's such a shame that he can't continue with his hobby, but it's all there in his head and he can talk the hind leg of a donkey about films (to anyone who's willing to listen!)
Posted By: chriskay Re: Picture houses - 18th Oct 2013 1:46pm
Yes, Elizabeth, I'm sure your uncle and I would have plenty to talk about. The Gaumont was in Park Rd. East, opposite the park entrance.
If he can still read, he would be interested in the book "The Silver Screens of Wirral" which Pinz. linked. As a matter of record, the volume covering Birkenhead & Bebington lists 24 cinemas and the second volume, covering Wallasey and the rest of Wirral lists 35. You can get them on Amazon.
Next time you talk to your uncle, mention Kalee projectors and Westrex sound systems; that should get him going.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Picture houses - 18th Oct 2013 6:52pm
There is this on Wallasey Cinemas

http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/wallasey/Wallasey_Cinemas_Index/index.html
Posted By: hunter103 Re: Picture houses - 19th Oct 2013 8:55pm
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Picture houses - 19th Oct 2013 8:57pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Yes, Elizabeth, I'm sure your uncle and I would have plenty to talk about. The Gaumont was in Park Rd. East, opposite the park entrance.
If he can still read, he would be interested in the book "The Silver Screens of Wirral" which Pinz. linked. As a matter of record, the volume covering Birkenhead & Bebington lists 24 cinemas and the second volume, covering Wallasey and the rest of Wirral lists 35. You can get them on Amazon.
Next time you talk to your uncle, mention Kalee projectors and Westrex sound systems; that should get him going.

No sadly he can't read he's blind now frown I tried to see if I could get that book you mentioned on some sort of audiobook site, but sadly it wasn't available. Perhaps I'll buy it anyway and read it to him when I visit.

Now, if I mention the projector and sound system you speak of, he'll ask how I know them and then I'll be left looking stupid! (I'll still mention them though and may be I'll come back to you through here with questions)
Posted By: chriskay Re: Picture houses - 20th Oct 2013 11:40am
Better not mention them, Elizabeth; I really don't like the idea of a three way on-line conversation. I'm sure he would enjoy having the book read to him though.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral