Forums
Posted By: chris7777 Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 1:09pm
Hi,
Does anyone know of any laundries that were in Birkenhead around about 1911?
The wife of a great uncle of mine worked in one before she married, I have her on the 1911 census as being carrier out at laundry, and a Mr Francis or Mr Travis (not sure which) laundryman.
What would a carrier out be? Would she be delivering the laundry once it was done?
Thanks for any help.
Chris.
Posted By: Fireblade Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 1:22pm
I think there was a laundry in Cleveland St by the Dixie Diner[ish]
Posted By: Norton Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 1:40pm
There were loads of laundries around at that time, often two in close proximity to each other, and a number of Chinese laundry's, too.

Perhaps this on is the one you are looking for -

Travis John, laundry proprietor, 1 Princes street

From the 1910 Kellys Directory.
Posted By: Norton Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 1:48pm
In Cleveland St in 1910 you had -

Large Brothers, laundrymen, 180 Cleveland street, and
Hartley Elizabeth (Mrs.), laundry, 283 Cleveland street
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 1:49pm
Originally Posted by Norton
There were loads of laundries around at that time, often two in close proximity to each other, and a number of Chinese laundry's, too.

Perhaps this on is the one you are looking for -

Travis John, laundry proprietor, 1 Princes street

From the 1910 Kellys Directory.

Of course......Kelly's Directory......should of thought of looking there! I'll have a look in the library tomorrow see if I can find anything about it. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 1:51pm
Thanks everyone for your replys, it's very helpful, going for a root in the library tomorrow!,
Posted By: bigpete Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 2:02pm
Originally Posted by chris7777
Thanks everyone for your replys, it's very helpful, going for a root in the library tomorrow!,

There was a Chinese Laundry across the road from said Library - in Happy Valley area - Carnforth Street? - but at Borough Road end....
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 2:25pm
My guess would be the Falcon Laundry, corner of Vittoria Street and Cleveland Street. Used to have a big square based chimney, hence the Falcon Steam Laundry. Lots of locals worked there, it was a big place that used to do all the ships laundry requirements as well as the local populace. My other favourite was Ah Poy, the Chinese laundryman on Price Street.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 2:26pm
1916 Wilmers Street Directory

Description: also 2nd column
Attached picture laundries 1.jpg
Attached picture laundries 2.jpg
Attached picture laundries 3.jpg
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 2:27pm
Just noticed the earlier post, Mrs Hartley was the proprietor of the Falcon. Red haired woman, stocky with it but not in a flubber way if you know what I mean. Thre was a Mister Hartley but can't remember what he looked like.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 5th Sep 2013 3:20pm
There was a Chinese laundry in Bedford Road , Rock Ferry, next to Powell's grocers.
I think there was another one on New Chester Road near the junction with St. Pauls Road.
I'm not sure if either of these survived into the 70's

Bob.
Posted By: Helles Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 6th Sep 2013 6:53pm
Was Tranmere Laundry going then? Worked there on the vans in the late sixties.
Posted By: yoller Re: Birkenhead laundrys 1900s - 6th Sep 2013 7:47pm
There used to be a laundry we called the 'bagwash' at the bottom of Ivy Street, just across from Perry's chandlers near Monk's Ferry. It was a big place full of steam, with huge vats of water and large mangles for ironing sheets.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral