Forums
Posted By: ZipperClub Oakdale Road - 14th Aug 2013 6:32pm
Good pic of Oakdale Road, but does anyone remember the little kiosk just past the car on the left of the bridge?. It used to sell cigs, newspapers and a few sweets from what I recall.

Attached picture Oakdale_Road_1967.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Oakdale Road - 14th Aug 2013 7:16pm
hi zipper, great pic, that land on the left of the pic there it is said it cannot be built on due to leather cowhides from bidston being dumped there, is that true?
Posted By: solvas42 Re: Oakdale Road - 14th Aug 2013 7:34pm
Hi all the kiosk was owned by a blind man name JOE GAHAN. I passed it every day on my way to gorsedale school. The field was known locally as the claypits , it was a tip for the british leather tanning company situated on new chester road by lairds. Also the manganese bronze tipped there to, Way back i did here it was once a horse race track?.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Oakdale Road - 14th Aug 2013 7:42pm
thanks solvas for that info, appreciate that happy
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Oakdale Road - 14th Aug 2013 8:49pm
There wasn't much wasted off the hides the British Leather used.
The fleshings (the bits of flesh on the inside of the hide)were sent to Thomson Bros next door to the tannery where I was told they were used to make aspic jelly for pies wartime era.
Then used to make glue later.
The stuff dumped in Oakdale would have been the hair off the hides in the lime pits which would have been sucked up by a gully sucker and conveyed to the tip and general factory rubbish by a tipper lorry
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oakdale Road - 14th Aug 2013 10:36pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
The fleshings (the bits of flesh on the inside of the hide)were sent to Thomson Bros next door to the tannery where I was told they were used to make aspic jelly for pies wartime era.
The stuff dumped in Oakdale would have been the hair off the hides in the lime pits which would have been sucked up by a gully sucker and conveyed to the tip and general factory rubbish by a tipper lorry

Yum Yum. Delicious !!!
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Oakdale Road - 14th Aug 2013 10:44pm
Is the bridge in the photo going over what is now the tunnel approach road? (I guess it was the old railway cutting when the photo was taken).

Where was Milton Road in relation to Oakdale Road?
Posted By: solvas42 Re: Oakdale Road - 15th Aug 2013 7:10pm
Milton road is off wheatland lane it is cul-de-sac just before Lloyds corner. if you come along oakdale road pass Ashville road at the t junction turn left and Milton road is on your left.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Oakdale Road - 15th Aug 2013 7:31pm
Originally Posted by solvas42
Milton road is off wheatland lane it is cul-de-sac just before Lloyds corner. if you come along oakdale road pass Ashville road at the t junction turn left and Milton road is on your left.

I think that is Naples Rd.
Posted By: workinclasshero Re: Oakdale Road - 15th Aug 2013 7:53pm
I think milton road is the one with the little shop on the corner the shop that never lasts long,sweet shop,fishing tackle shop opp joeys school
Posted By: solvas42 Re: Oakdale Road - 15th Aug 2013 8:01pm
I stand corrected you are both correct it is naples rd and Milton further down opp the joeys .
Posted By: Dilly Re: Oakdale Road - 15th Aug 2013 8:18pm
Hi all the kiosk was owned by a blind man name JOE GAHAN. I passed it every day on my way to gorsedale school. The field was known locally as the claypits , it was a tip for the british leather tanning company situated on new chester road by lairds. Also the manganese bronze tipped there to, Way back i did here it was once a horse race track?.

Hi Solvas, we always knew it as the lime pits, I think maybe they used lime to try to desolve the waste from British leather. I remember in the hot weather the smell was rank.
Posted By: solvas42 Re: Oakdale Road - 15th Aug 2013 8:26pm
Your dead right it stunk to high heavens, we used to play on the claypits , think it was called that because they used the clay to make blocks at a place opposite citrine road called sturgies I think it was spelt like that, from the clay.The wagon drivers would chase all the kids when the tanker arrived to unload the lime.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Oakdale Road - 15th Aug 2013 8:39pm
I lived in Citrine rd in the prefabs when I was a lad, do you remember Donkins we called it the soap factory, I think they made disinfectant, it was on the corner of oakdale and citrine rd. Zipper put up some great photos of the prefabs.
Posted By: solvas42 Re: Oakdale Road - 15th Aug 2013 8:59pm
Yes remember the soap place , before donkins it was a type of crisp factory called the Nibbits, type of French fry that we have now .
Posted By: Stegga Re: Oakdale Road - 16th Aug 2013 8:56am
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Oakdale Road - 16th Aug 2013 11:17am
Thanks for the responses re Milton rd. I hadn't realised there was anything left of it. I remember visiting my mum's friends there in the 60s (pre-school!). Does anyone know why so much of it was demolished?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Oakdale Road - 16th Aug 2013 7:43pm
Map including Milton Road, red arrow points where the bridge on Oakdale Road is.
I remember Donkins, someone once left the tap switched on and all the liquid ran out across Oakdale Road towards the garage where they fixed the flour wagons. I remember going there for some oil for my bike chain, they gave me about 2 gallon from an engine sump.
Milton Road has all been demolished and rebuilt.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Oakdale Road - 16th Aug 2013 8:25pm
Map and Milton Road, well whats left of it.

Attached picture Milton.jpg
Attached picture milton road.jpg
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Oakdale Road - 16th Aug 2013 8:42pm
Anyone notice the concertina cottages?
Also does anyone remember the sweet shop on the corner of Parry Street and Margaret Street. It used to be very dark, I dont think they used light bulbs during the day and I`m damn sure I wouldn`t go down there at night. I remember getting some pretend Cadburys chocolates they used in the shop window. They where made of chalk, later ones being made of cardboard. Obviously real chocolate would of melted in the shop window
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Oakdale Road - 16th Aug 2013 10:15pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Anyone notice the concertina cottages?

There's info and photos here

http://www.historyofwallasey.co.uk/wallasey/concertina_cottages/index.html
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Oakdale Road - 17th Aug 2013 6:19pm
I think that the shop in Parry Street was called Jocks. It was owned by a Scottish guy.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Oakdale Road - 25th Aug 2013 8:17pm
Hi all the kiosk was owned by a blind man name JOE GAHAN. I passed it every day on my way to gorsedale school.

Well, (juicy gossip time) speaking to my mum today and she said a widow who lived in Oakdale Road used to sit on Joes knee, just after the war. He opened up shop about 5:30am and shut at about 6:00pm.
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Oakdale Road - 8th Mar 2014 1:40pm
I remember the Nursery. Don't know how old I was but my Mum put me in there one day. I remember them trying to make me sleep in the afternoon and they put a very scratchy grey blanket over me. I screamed the place down. I never went back .........
Posted By: granny Re: Oakdale Road - 8th Mar 2014 7:18pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc

Can anyone say from what date British Leather were in production please ?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Oakdale Road - 8th Mar 2014 7:25pm
I lived right opposite the nursery and watched the poor kids having to get under those grey itchy blankets. Even in the summer, though they did open the doors. I think the kids had to "sleep" for an hour after lunch. Maybe to give the staff time to wash the dishes while the kids slept.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral