Forums
Posted By: terryhorton The Bromborough Smithy - 3rd Apr 2013 1:46pm
I’m looking for information about the Smithy that was in Bromborough. It was located in an alley next to Church. It may have been run by a Leo Sheridan. I found a photo when I Googled “Bromborough Smithy” but that is all I have found. Can anyone add to this and provide more information?
Terry Horton
Posted By: tonif Re: The Bromborough Smithy - 3rd Apr 2013 2:48pm
Not much but this is from the Bromborough Conservation Area plan

By the outbreak of WWI, Bromborough had expanded rapidly and was becoming less reliant on agriculture. Within the conservation area a small number of semi-detached and terraced cottages were built along The Rake. The Church Institute was built in 1908 for Richard Hobson in memory of his wife, Eleanor, south of The Smithy and Smithy Cottage (which had been in existence since at least c1755 and were demolished in 1982). A barn fronting onto the market square was converted to house RA Roberts’s Central Garages in 1925 and stood to the east of the Church Institute. Murphy’s Taxi Office was established next door, and that building still stands.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Bromborough Smithy - 3rd Apr 2013 3:13pm
The 1911 census,
Postal address, Church Rd,Bromborough,

Lawrence Sheridan, 61, Blacksmith
Catherine Margaret, Wife, 55,
2 Daughters,
Lawrence Leo Sheridan, 19 Apprentice Blacksmith,
Thomas Gerald Sheridan, App, B/Smith.

Looks a possibilty the father run it and Leo took over after him.
Posted By: terryhorton Re: The Bromborough Smithy - 3rd Apr 2013 4:08pm
Thank you for the information, it is very helpful. I am unable to find a birth or death date for Lawrence Leo Sheridan in the UK BMD database. Found his brother was born in 1893 and died in 1950 in Birkenhead, for some strange reason Lawrence Leo Sheridan is not listed.
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Bromborough Smithy - 3rd Apr 2013 4:32pm

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2006
about Lawrence Leo Sheridan

Name:

Lawrence Leo Sheridan
Birth Date:28 Jul 1891
Date of Registration:
Oct-Nov-Dec 1972
Age at Death:
Registration district:
Wirral
Inferred County:
Cheshire
Volume:
10a
Page:
678s

Posted By: bert1 Re: The Bromborough Smithy - 3rd Apr 2013 4:39pm
Baptism

Attached picture lls.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Bromborough Smithy - 3rd Apr 2013 5:06pm
Girls School? Lucky so and so.

Attached picture lls school.JPG
Posted By: terryhorton Re: The Bromborough Smithy - 3rd Apr 2013 6:05pm
Thank you again for the help, my reason for looking for the information about Leo Sheridan was motivated by him being rejected as a suitor by my mother. She kept a plaque that he had made and gave to her when they broke-up. She was almost twenty years younger than he, and I am happy she rejected him because later she met my Dad. Strange how the world works!

© Wirral-Wikiwirral