Forums
Posted By: kenmo52 Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 11:50am
Hi Folks
Does anybody remember a joke shop/magic shop on King Street opposite the Driving test centre in the 1960's ? I think it was called Kardoonis ?? and the guy who owned it also had a similar shop just behind the old cafe, down a side street of Victoria Road in New Brighton.
Any info and/or photos would be much appreciated.
Ken
Posted By: casper Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 12:44pm
Yes remember it well it wasa bit further up opposite Rice Lane or Millers shop if you remember Millers.
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 1:12pm
Yeah that's the one. I remember the old fellah who used to be in the shop, seemed quite weird, and always had a pipe in his mouth.
Posted By: Stingray Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 1:12pm
They used to sell second hand LP's there too. I bought my first records there, Slade Alive & Slayed! still got them & they are still great!
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 1:46pm
I bought a copy of Purple Haze by Hendrix from there, on a white Track Records label, would probably be worth a few quid now.
Also remember the trick chewing gum and other things.
How innocent things were in those days.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 2:35pm
I also used to buy LPs from him, remember he sold cine 8 films some under the counter dodgy ones, not that I ever bought them.
Posted By: torryman Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 5:38pm
Yeah ...remember it well he used to sell ex juke box recorda ...I went in once and got singles that were still in the charts for 10p each ...he was a magician and did kids parties etc he was a strange guy (I remember the pipe as well)...I seem to remember another customer calling him Tommy.
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 6:05pm
Wow yes, I recall now, you are right, he did do kids parties, etc.
He also used to buy records, always gave you a terrible price !!

I will have to research this a bit more.

Thanks for your memories, etc folks, if you remember any more then please post it up on here.

Ken
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 6:18pm
i remember the guy in new brighton was a magician.....

he used to make my pocket money disappear every week
Posted By: Tatey Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 6:25pm
Tom Dickinson was Karduni's real name at 60 King Street.
Posted By: JABBERONE Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 6:56pm
i lived round their as a kid always in their we lived above the motor bike shop a long time ago.
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 7:30pm
Such great info and memories guys.
Tatey you are a star.
Thanks SO much to all of you.
Please post more if you have it.
Ken
Posted By: torryman Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 7:59pm
You know what the one thing that has just struck me....the shop had a characteristic smell ....not dirty but a strong odour like wicker or something along those lines.
Posted By: kenmo52 Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 8:06pm
I remember being mostly smoked-out by the pipe he was usually smoking. Just thought, didn't he wear a bow-tie, probably squirted water no doubt !!!
Posted By: ianyam Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 8:45pm
Originally Posted by JABBERONE
i lived round their as a kid always in their we lived above the motor bike shop a long time ago.

Breretons motorcycles.
Posted By: ianyam Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 8:47pm
I remember someone throwing a brick through his window and robbing the contents back in the 70s.
Posted By: torryman Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 8:54pm
Wow I'd forgotten about the dickie bow ...Just remembered his wife sometimes worked there too
Posted By: Helles Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 9:59pm
Rather bad photo of what was the Joke shop in New Brighton. This was on the corner of Tollemache and Albert streets. I stand to be corrected but think this was going before the King street one opened?

Attached picture 196960_4771651482886_2143039613_n[1].jpg
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 15th Feb 2013 11:26pm
Used to walk through the park on a Saturday & spend my pocket money there. Stink bombs, pepper sweets, trick soap, telescope that blackened your eye & the silver things I used to put in my Dad's cigarettes that exploded when he lit them. Happy days.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 16th Feb 2013 9:00am
I seem to remember that the joke shop owner also had a Punch and Judy set up which he used to have on the beach at New Brighton in front of the Tivoli and also in Central Park when the Gala was in town or am I getting mixed up with someone else?

Dave
Posted By: the_kwan Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 16th Feb 2013 10:59am
I remember the King street joke shop, you walked up some small triangular shaped steps into the shop, I also remember getting some xray glasses and stink bombs there and a false chopped off finger. the memories.
Posted By: torryman Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 16th Feb 2013 12:13pm
I was trying to remember about the entrance to the shop. it was high up ,and the entrance to the next door shop was very close.
I remember buying a second hand Watkins echo chamber in there in the early 70's it was a really old one in fact it had valves in it.
I paid £8.00 for it, and it didn't work properly, so I took it back and he ever so nonchalantly suggested it would be alright for £4.00....and like a mug I accepted the £4.00 and left with it.
I can't remember where it went now ...but I could probably get about £150.00 for it on ebay even not working now..... they are super rare.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 16th Feb 2013 2:33pm
The shop next store that shared the steps was a gents barbers shop.

Dave
Posted By: taylor4898 Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 16th Feb 2013 4:11pm
Great shop,visited every week...now where's my David Nixon magic book haha!
Posted By: Helles Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 16th Feb 2013 10:14pm
Punch and Judy was Codmans. Nothing to do with the joke shop as far as I am aware?
Posted By: daveybm Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 17th Feb 2013 9:12am
Originally Posted by Helles
Punch and Judy was Codmans. Nothing to do with the joke shop as far as I am aware?

Could well be right, I'm probably getting mixed up.

Dave
Posted By: europa1 Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 25th Feb 2013 1:43pm
Yes it was robbed a couple of times in the 60's and 70's. He had a rather dodgy anti theft device in the form of a metal grill inside the little side window (this was the one that got broke) with a cable running to it and a little orange bulb in a holder was also connected. A sign said something to the effect that if the bulb was lit it indicated that the grill was charged with 250 volts.
Posted By: JessandAnn Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 28th Feb 2013 4:52pm
Was this shop taken over by a Mr. Roach, this would have been in the '60's also.
Posted By: PAT_man Re: Joke/Magic shop King Street - 13th Oct 2013 7:38pm
I remember the joke shop fondly haha. stink bombs, itchy powder fake dog poo and all the stuff lads as juveniles love. My dad had the shop next door for a few years as a gents hair dresser. I always remember my dad asking his customers ' any thing for the weekend' and hinting at the durex signs lol.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral