Forums
Hi

Just a few pics and a video to come of the last parts of the old St Catherine's Hospital Greenway Road Birkenhead to be demolished.

Description: taken from Derby Road
Attached picture IMG_4281a.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4282a.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4295a.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4298a.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4300a.jpg
one more pic

Attached picture IMG_4308a.jpg
was watching them do that the other day while outside getting some fresh air (and i mean fresh air, i don't associate with the smoking lot lol) and it was actually quite fascinating how quickly that building went from one i used to work in to a few bricks in a pile on the floor
Going to miss the old bird. frown
I was born there in 1978
I worked there for many years, sad to see the old full-of-character Victorian buildings go, especially when you see the eyesores replacing them.
It makes me laugh that despite all the 'mod cons' in the new buiding that when you wave your hand behind the taps, for water that you can't turn it off, again.

Thats water running down the plug hole for around one minute. How wasteful, when you are only refilling a kettle!!!
i was born there 1958
Tony
Posted By: j_demo Re: last parts of St Catherine's hospital come down - 21st Dec 2012 10:46pm
Originally Posted by kenmo52
I worked there for many years, sad to see the old full-of-character Victorian buildings go, especially when you see the eyesores replacing them.

eyesores is a subjective term, i think the new building looks nice. a lot of people said the same about VCH in liscard, that the old buildings were better than the modern one, truth of the matter is the new VCH is a million times better than the old one. and St. Caths is going along the same route, ok there'll be some murmurs of "it looks stupid" but aesthetics comes beneath 'practicality' as far as healthcare buildings go, and while ok there's been hiccups (predominantly someone getting stabbed in the car park earlier this week over an argument over a parking space) in the long run, this is a very positive change for the site and the people in the community as a whole.
Some pics taken Tuesday

Attached picture demolition ST CATHS.JPG
Attached picture demolition ST CATHS 2.JPG
Attached picture demolition ST CATHS 3.JPG
Attached picture demolition ST CATHS 4.JPG
Attached picture NEW ST CATHS 4.JPG
Attached picture NEW ST CATHS 5.JPG
Attached picture NEW ST CATHS 3.JPG
Last ones.
I think all that will remain of the old St Caths may be the church, the surrounding wall and the building in the last pics

Attached picture NEW ST CATHS 3.JPG
Attached picture NEW ST CATHS 2 .JPG
Attached picture NEW ST CATHS .JPG
Attached picture OLD ST CATHS 2.JPG
Attached picture OLD ST CATHS 3.JPG
Attached picture OLD ST CATHS 4.JPG
Attached picture OLD ST CATHS.JPG
derek

thanks for adding those, completes the set.
Agree that losing some of the old always seems a shame but realistically an old Victorian building wouldn't really be fit for purpose today and the new health centre is pretty cool me thinks.
I was born there to in 1971. But I think the maternity ward had long gone. But still a few of us may have been born in those now demolished building.
I had my daughter there in march 1982, think i was one of the last ones as arrowe park had just opened. Sad to see it go.
What a shame, i spent a bit of time in there in 1966 with pneumonia as a six year old kid..
I was there as a psychiatric patient in the 70's,Oh how I miss those nice, snug, warm strait-jackets,happy days!
Posted By: j_demo Re: last parts of St Catherine's hospital come down - 23rd Dec 2012 12:28am
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
I was there as a psychiatric patient in the 70's,Oh how I miss those nice, snug, warm strait-jackets,happy days!

sure you weren't at clatterbridge, that's the main inpatient bit, i don't think St. Cath's psych inpatients was much more than temporary...
Regardless, I do not think that Psychiartry is a laughing matter.
Psychiartry ??
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Regardless, I do not think that Psychiartry is a laughing matter.
Please accept my apologies if I have offended your delicate sensibilities,that was never my intention.Anyway,must dash,it's time for my medication.
Best place I ever worked, its sad to see it go.
Originally Posted by mikethetrainman
What a shame, i spent a bit of time in there in 1966 with pneumonia as a six year old kid..
(sorry i meant to say) back then the dr,s nurses & staff they were all very kind and looked after me, just never enough words to say THANK YOU for what you did for me...x.
A bit off topic

Is/was there a Psychiatric ward at Arrowe Park Hospital.
I'm sure I've visited patients there as well as at St Caths and Clatterbridge.
I remember one of our drivers used to say after being in one " I've got a certificate? to prove I'm not mad.Can you prove you're not?"

re Psychiartry ?? post
Psychiatry is the medical specialty devoted to the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention, of mental disorders.

I'm sure rudebox meant mental disorders are not to be laughed about, although for all we know the statement by ludwigvan may well be true
ALL the world is mad except me and thee, and sometimes I suspect thee

Should it not be spelt PSYCHIATRY?
Originally Posted by Tatey
Should it not be spelt PSYCHIATRY?

Well spotted tatey- I'd only took in the PSYCHI as being correctly spelt
Originally Posted by derekdwc
A bit off topic

Is/was there a Psychiatric ward at Arrowe Park Hospital.
I'm sure I've visited patients there as well as at St Caths and Clatterbridge.
I remember one of our drivers used to say after being in one " I've got a certificate? to prove I'm not mad.Can you prove you're not?"

re Psychiartry ?? post
Psychiatry is the medical specialty devoted to the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention, of mental disorders.

I'm sure rudebox meant mental disorders are not to be laughed about, although for all we know the statement by ludwigvan may well be true
ALL the world is mad except me and thee, and sometimes I suspect thee

there IS a psych dept. at APH, notably Liaison Psych which is part of A&E but there is one psych ward at APH, not sure what ward it is though, and it's not a secure unit of any kind, it's "very low secure" if you wanted a type
Great Pics guys...

I had a wander up there to take a few of my own shots..

Taken on 28th December 2012
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More to follow when I have time...
Never noticed before what appears to be an all glass?looking top of a building in your 1st pic.

Attached picture st caths glass.jpg
Sad. Born there on

17:08

7lbs 8oz

Another part of my Birkenhead gone
I was also born there Steiner frown 01.11.1980 - don't know what weight or time though and my mother probably doesn't know either haha
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Never noticed before what appears to be an all glass?looking top of a building in your 1st pic.

it's not glass, it's fencing around radio antennae etc for all the phones, emergency phones and other communication/broadcasting equipment
Is there a plan/ map of what the various old buildings were and of what the new buildings will be? the different wards and departments etc

7lb 6oz

3.15pm

RIP St Caths.
The taps are adjustable, someone should tell the commissioning engineers, or the Works Department, if any are left!
There was a psychiatric ward there I believe it was called 'p' block. The Stein centre is on st caths site opposite Derby road entrance. They deal with mental health there as well.
Originally Posted by steiner
Sad. Born there on

17:08

7lbs 8oz

Another part of my Birkenhead gone

Wow a month before me. 27.9.67 me born there also
I was born there too in 1969 so so sad, Looks an eye sore now IMO x
I was born there too in 1969 so so sad, Looks an eye sore now IMO x
© Wirral-Wikiwirral