Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Whetstone Lane - 3rd Dec 2012 8:21pm

Whetstone Lane, no date

Attached picture grangerdwest-1.jpg
Posted By: davew3 Re: Whetstone Lane - 3rd Dec 2012 8:35pm
That's a Birkenhead reg "C" fire engine must gave just left the fire station,the Birkenhead CO-OP wagon is a "C" so is that about 1966?.
Posted By: Hedgehog Re: Whetstone Lane - 3rd Dec 2012 8:56pm
Is that not Oxton Road? Looking down to the Cross from Grange Road West would have had the Charing Cross pub on the left. (Spud Murphys)
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Whetstone Lane - 3rd Dec 2012 9:32pm
I think it may be Whetstone Lane (Borough Road side) and the pub on the left is the Park View and the building in the background is the building at the start of Grange Road West
Posted By: chriskay Re: Whetstone Lane - 3rd Dec 2012 10:08pm
I agree, Derek. If the Co-Op van wasn't there, you'd see Charing Cross and Martin's Bank.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Whetstone Lane - 3rd Dec 2012 10:34pm
Reckon you're right there Derek. I'll change it. Thanks for that
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Whetstone Lane - 3rd Dec 2012 10:35pm
Dunno how to change it
Posted By: nuddy Re: Whetstone Lane - 3rd Dec 2012 11:04pm
The land rover in the pic belongs to Birkenhead Fire Brigade, its just left the fire station out of shot on the left.
Posted By: yoller Re: Whetstone Lane - 4th Dec 2012 8:54am
The fire station is on the right of the picture, out of shot. The photo is probably taken from just by the fire station.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Whetstone Lane - 4th Dec 2012 10:01am
I think the piccy was taken by the end of the 28 bus stop by the cycle shop in Whetstone Lane, I didn't put that in as I thought everybody knew, the concrete pillar looks like it's part of the bus shelter, the aerials in the background I think a Rumbelows shop was there in the "bank buildings!.
Posted By: nuddy Re: Whetstone Lane - 4th Dec 2012 11:56am
Originally Posted by nuddy
The land rover in the pic belongs to Birkenhead Fire Brigade, its just left the fire station out of shot on the left.

Sorry, I should of said "Out of shot on the right"!
Posted By: Norton Re: Whetstone Lane - 4th Dec 2012 1:28pm
This photo, and more like it, appear in the Old Fire Station Whetstone Lane thread and posts.

If it helps to date it, the Land Rover has a 1965 registration, but the Co-op van is LCM 499G, which is from 1968 and it doesn't look very new to me.

TV ariels on the old bank building - well spotted. Depending on the year it could be Rumbelows or Strothers before them.
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: Whetstone Lane - 4th Dec 2012 10:44pm
Yeah the pub is what was Blu Bar a few years ago.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Whetstone Lane - 5th Dec 2012 4:45pm

Today pic roughly from the pram shop

Attached picture S1055039_[1600x1200].jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Whetstone Lane - 5th Dec 2012 6:31pm
Was that you, Derek, who left the bomb by the pram shop?
Posted By: Tatey Re: Whetstone Lane - 6th Dec 2012 8:52am
Hope the bag did not contain all the usual contents like rubber masks. That might have taken some explanation!
Posted By: valli Re: Whetstone Lane - 19th Dec 2012 10:47pm
the picture is definitely whetstone lane from where the original fire station was. I lived in Warwick st as a child from 1958-1970 .its quite a different place now.valli
Posted By: andym Re: Whetstone Lane - 26th Jan 2013 3:57pm
Hi,I've tried to find more information about this card but have failed so far.

Attached picture img386.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Whetstone Lane - 26th Jan 2013 4:16pm
The best I can do is,

It was reported in the Liverpool Echo, 14 May 1918,
The Birkenhead Tram Fatality.

Wirral archives or Birkenhead library should have a copy of the Birkenhead News around that date, there will be a report in there. Hopefully its the same one.
Posted By: andym Re: Whetstone Lane - 26th Jan 2013 5:56pm
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Didn't expect an answer that quickly.

Thanks again

Andy
Posted By: yoller Re: Whetstone Lane - 27th Jan 2013 12:50am
From the Liverpool Echo, 10th and 14th of May 1918 (edited)

Conductress Edith Jones, aged 21, of 64 Frodsham Street, Birkenhead, was readjusting her trolley pole after her tram arrived at the Woodside terminus when she became jammed between her own tram and the one behind, whose driver had just started to test his electric brakes.
A verdict of accidental death was later reached by a jury, who expressed sympathy with driver William Glover, that this should be his first fatal accident in the 15 or 16 years he had worked as a driver.
(It’s not clear from the report if Glover was driver of Edith’s tram or the tram that killed her).
Posted By: rosa466 Re: Whetstone Lane - 27th Jan 2013 2:31pm
wow fab pic!! dont suppose u have any more?
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Whetstone Lane - 28th Jan 2013 12:05am
That picture was taken just about where the entrance to St Werburgh's school is
Posted By: marzie Re: Whetstone Lane - 28th Jan 2013 12:03pm
That looks like Cedar St. on the left.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Whetstone Lane - 28th Jan 2013 12:35pm
Originally Posted by marzie

Yes, it is.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Whetstone Lane - 28th Jan 2013 12:38pm
Originally Posted by marzie

I think you are quite right marzie. The decorative brickwork on the LH corner house is the clue. Have a look on Google Map Streetview for a comparison. (Sorry can't get the link to work)

Posted By: chriskay Re: Whetstone Lane - 28th Jan 2013 2:24pm
Here it is, Pinz. (tick the "short URL" box).
Apart from that, if you enlarge the original photo, you can read the name plate.

http://goo.gl/maps/WZ5tc
Posted By: andym Re: Whetstone Lane - 28th Jan 2013 3:50pm
Oh great, thanks for that. Good to know the sad story behind the photograph.

Posted By: marty99fred Re: Whetstone Lane - 28th Jan 2013 9:53pm
This tragic accident took place just after 5:40 pm on Wednesday 8th May, 1918, shortly after Edith’s tram had reached the terminus at Woodside. The initial reports in the local papers contain little detail, but more can be gleaned from the account of the inquest which concluded on the 14th May.

When the tram arrived at Woodside, Edith’s driver, William Glover, removed the control handles from his position at the front of the car in order to fit them to the controller at the rear, which would become the front of the vehicle for the return journey. Edith, meanwhile, had got off the tram to swing the trolley pole on the roof around for the return trip, which was part of her duties. It appears that Glover fitted the handles to the controller at the other end of the tram and then immediately decided to test the emergency brake, which was “the correct thing to do”, upon which the tram lurched backwards, trapping his conductress against the tram parked behind. She was immediately rushed to the Borough Hospital, where her left thigh was found to be so badly smashed her leg had to be amputated. Sadly, she subsequently died from shock and haemorrhage at 12:30am the following morning. Much was made at the inquest of whether there was any possibility of a mechanical problem with the tram’s controller that might have caused the accident; oddly, no consideration at all seems to have been given as to whether the driver, knowing that it was the conductress’ job to swing the trolley pole round, should have checked that she was not in the way before applying any power! So much for “duty of care” in 1918…

Edith Jones was buried at Flaybrick Cemetery on the morning of 15th May. The cortege, seen in the photo, included 60 conductresses and employees from the tram depot, 24 tram drivers, and 50 wounded soldiers, together with nurses, from Temple Road, Mersey Park and Tranmere military hospitals, who all walked to the cemetery from Frodsham Street. Sadly, her husband, Sgt John H Jones, to whom she had been married for not much over a year, was unable to attend, as he was on active service with the Royal Engineers.
Posted By: andym Re: Whetstone Lane - 28th Jan 2013 10:56pm
Thank you for that further information. The more you find out, the sadder it becomes.
Posted By: valli Re: Whetstone Lane - 28th Jan 2013 11:54pm
Her poor husband what a terrible shock for him to receive that terrible news.so sad
Posted By: BrechinNeil Re: Whetstone Lane - 18th Feb 2013 5:32pm
Originally Posted by Glocko
Is that not Oxton Road? Looking down to the Cross from Grange Road West would have had the Charing Cross pub on the left. (Spud Murphys)

Yeah Robert and Jobsons was across the road, I used to get my subbuteo from there, sadly before the Silver strike though i see
Posted By: Cattre8 Re: Whetstone Lane - 18th Sep 2013 9:02pm
The conductress who died in the tram fatality was a relative of mine I have her death certificate in my family bible
Posted By: Cattre8 Re: Whetstone Lane - 18th Sep 2013 9:05pm
I have the death certificate of the tram conductress is a relative of mine
Posted By: Cattre8 Re: Whetstone Lane - 18th Sep 2013 9:13pm
Originally Posted by andym
Hi,I've tried to find more information about this card but have failed so far.

The lady's name was Edith jones maiden name Cattrell it's a relative on mine I have more details . Can I ask how you come about the card , she was married for just one year as stated. I have her death certificate with more details
Posted By: bigpete Re: Whetstone Lane - 19th Sep 2013 1:46pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
I think it may be Whetstone Lane (Borough Road side) and the pub on the left is the Park View and the building in the background is the building at the start of Grange Road West

Tis indeed - think the pub is just called the Park Hotel though and was always just shortened to the 'Park'.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral