Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Woodside - 9th Nov 2012 10:41am

Woodside 1966. The old station still in place

Attached picture woodside1966.jpg
Posted By: silvertigra Re: Woodside - 9th Nov 2012 11:26am
Wow! the old 77 bus remember going to moreton shore with my mum from upton village on that, memories :)and going to a cafe at woodside before getting the crosville coach to Wales,think it was called oliveries any one remember it?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Woodside - 9th Nov 2012 12:06pm
I used to go into Oliveries occasionally, but that was located on the corner opposite Hamilton Square Station. There was a cafe next to the bus Inspector's Office (Blakey ?) at Woodside. I think that was called The Avoca Cafe. Huge mugs of tea and "tramstopper" sandwiches. Oh yes - proper buses that were clean and ran to time as well!

Happy days eh?
Posted By: Alonso Re: Woodside - 9th Nov 2012 12:20pm
More good pics from Pablo...bring back some memories of happy times from my does this one.

Oliveries? Not sure if I have spelled it correctly. When my brother and I were little lads and if our dad had had a win on the horses, he used to take us to the pictures down in Birkenhead on Saturday afternoons. Afterwards he would treat us to an ice-cream soda in the cafe. He would put a three penny bit in the jukebox and his favorite singer was always the American bandleader, Vaughan Monroe.

Most people alive today will have never heard of him, but a few years ago my wife and I were watching the end of one of those Bruce Willis action films and the singer of the song that was playing out the credits I immediately identified as Monroe.

No way would she have it that I was able to identify his voice because of my dad being a fan of his back in the fifties. She accused me of having seen the picture previously and clocked the name of the singer in the credits as they roll. But it was true. Lol!

In those days there were no betting shops, so my dad used to put his bets on with the bookies runners. There was a man called Joe O'laughlin who used to hang out around the Trunk in Duke Street. Then there was Tommy Lacy who lived in the avenues opposite Gallagher's Hill. I often remember my dad writing his bet out and folding his wager neatly in the wrapped paper it was written on. I'd run up to Tommy's house and put the bet through his door. Happy days! I wish I could live them again just to have my dad back. Even though we had SFA.
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: Woodside - 9th Nov 2012 12:33pm
I went to oliveries in the late 60s had a pinball machine in there had to wait ages to have a go on it stan oliverie does outside catering now with his daughter and lives in bebington
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: Woodside - 9th Nov 2012 12:44pm
Any one remember bob martins on Conway street I think it would be more or less opposite were the bike exchange is now ..use to get cream soda..ginger beer and loads more drinks on the way to the park ...I also done the bookie runner for my dad it was a lady I had to go to her house was on the corner of Marion st ..funny side was my dad told me to go and put a bet on for him so I was going full pelt not looking for cars or anything a whack ran into a car lucky me or wot never got the bet on lol
Posted By: Alonso Re: Woodside - 9th Nov 2012 2:12pm
Bob Martins? Yep, remember it well. Us lads used to call in there for a pint of blood-tonic. What on earth was in it I wouldn't know, but we kidded ourselves up that we were like men drinking in the pub.
Posted By: flossy Re: Woodside - 9th Nov 2012 7:50pm
theres quite alot on here somewhere about bob martins i used ot live practically on its door step, right opposite the bike exchange it was on the corner of hilton st and conway st'

Posted By: Erainn Re: Woodside - 16th Nov 2012 9:38pm
Bob Martins? Yes indeed, many's the time Isank a glass of blood tonic there after playing a three hour game of footie in the Park
Posted By: steiner Re: Woodside - 2nd Dec 2012 9:39pm
Thanks for all the photos Pablo. You are a star.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral