Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 11:08am

Seacombe Prom 1913. Awful lot of ships in the river.

Attached picture seacombe-1913.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 11:19am
It must have been a special occasion. Crowds lining the railings. Bunting on the two ferry boats at the stage. Liners similarly bedecked. Do I see two children NOT wearing a hat? Standards starting to slip even then!!! Tut.

How long would those beautiful arc lamps last these days? They'd be smashed up pronto for sure.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 11:29am
Looks like the Luisitania is down river a bit
Posted By: Alonso Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 11:30am
And just one year later we entered into a needless war with Germany that must have robbed many young men on that promenade of their lives. What a difference a year made in those days. I guess we just take the peace of this modern age for granted. Great picture! keep them coming, I just love em.
Posted By: granny Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 11:55am

Could it have been the Royal visit of King George V and Queen Mary?

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/robinson-galatea.html
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 12:15pm
You might have something there Granny
Posted By: Norton Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 12:46pm
Here is a bit more on the Steam Yacht 'Galatea', including a photo at the opening ceremony of Gladstone Dock with HRH onboard from Liverpool History Society.

Her tender still survives at the Maritime Museum.

Perhaps the crowds are looking across the river to Gladstone Dock.
Posted By: granny Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 1:17pm
Originally Posted by granny

Could it have been the Royal visit of King George V and Queen Mary?

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/robinson-galatea.html

In addition could the liner have been the Mauretania? Extract in very small print taken from the link beneath.

Jul 1913 HM the King whilst visiting Liverpool went aboard the Mauretania (the wood paneling from her first class dining room is in a wine bar at the foot of Park Street in Bristol). 100 cadets formed a guard of honour on board the liner. The King presented the Gold Medal in person

http://www.hmsconway.org/history_mersey.html

Love these pictures Pablo . Thanks
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 1:47pm
Bloody hell Granny, you know your boats. Well spotted
Posted By: granny Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 1:57pm
Could be because a lot of my family were linked to the sea and in particular the Mersey.Also a great aunt worked on the Mauritania back in 19?? as a nurse. Don't know exactly, before the 2nd world war anyway.
Posted By: Norton Re: Seacombe Prom - 10th Jul 2012 2:28pm
The Mauretania sailed from Liverpool to New York on fifteen occasions in 1913.

One of them was on the 12th of July, the day after the Royal visit, so she would have been in Port at the time.

And a BIG thanks for all the new photo's today, Pabs. They are great. I can hardly catch up with you.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Seacombe Prom - 11th Jul 2012 10:19am

One the subject of the Mauretania, here's a comparison with New Brighton Tower

Attached picture 390539510_54007cc55c.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: Seacombe Prom - 11th Jul 2012 12:41pm
The ship on the left in the first picture is probably Cunard's newest ship 'Andania'. Having the right colour scheme with two funnels and two masts, it seems to fit the bill.
It could carry 2060 passengers and was 13405 gross tons.

It made its maiden voyage from Liverpool on 14th July 1913, heading for Southampton to commence regular services between Southampton and Montreal.

It was joined in service by sister ships Alaunia (from 27/12/13) and Aurania (from 28/3/17).

If it's not the Andania, then there were six more ships (from Cunards fleet of fifteen) that had two funnels and two masts, but they seem to have been at sea during the Royal visit of July 11th.

These other ships were:
Campania, Caronia, Carmania, Franconia, Ascania, Laconia.

Can anybody identify anything about the smaller ship in the middle? The one with the white band on its single funnel?
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Seacombe Prom - 11th Jul 2012 1:05pm
Bugger me Norton, I can barely see it. Looking at the funnel, it looks like a Harrison Line ship
Posted By: Norton Re: Seacombe Prom - 13th Jul 2012 10:18pm
In that case, it looks like the other ship may have been the 'Commodore', but several others look very similar to me at that distance. They are/were Architect, Barrister, Benefactor, Dictator, Navigator, Orator and Spectator.

Description: 'Commodore'
Attached picture Commodore.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Seacombe promenade - 17th Jul 2012 9:31am

Seacombe promenade 1908

Attached picture seacombeferry1908.jpg
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Seacombe promenade - 17th Jul 2012 10:18am
Great pic, Pablo. Promenade in the true sense of the word.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Seacombe promenade - 17th Jul 2012 11:30am
A delight indeed. At first glance, the chap with the gamp and bowler hat on the RH side of the picture looks as if he is walking down the double yellow lines at the kerbside !! Didn't think they had the double yellows then (?) grin
Posted By: Zubee Re: Seacombe promenade - 17th Jul 2012 12:03pm
Is it just the shadow from the railings that make it look like double yellows?
Posted By: Norton Re: Seacombe promenade - 17th Jul 2012 12:14pm
Another fine shot, obviously taken not far from the one you posted last week, from 1913.

I suspect that the Liver Buildings was still under construction when this was taken. It looks like it was nearly half height, with some steel already in place with rigging around it and with a crane in use.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Seacombe promenade - 17th Jul 2012 12:33pm
Mum used to talk about coming over
from Liverpool to Seacombe on the ferry
and walking to New Brighton to save the
difference in fare.

Nice summer clothes!!They look pretty warm.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral