Forums
Posted By: Tilly Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 2:10pm
I found this old 72 page booklet in the loft.. grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lightning Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 2:12pm
Intresting Tilly great find thumbsup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 2:42pm
this is a interesting find, anything else up there we should know about?
Posted By: philmch Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 2:54pm
Perhaps the bogs at the Harrison Drive end of the prom had a reputation even then.
Posted By: granny Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 3:04pm
To see the masses of people and the stalls etc. on the pier in the second poster, is amazing. Morrisons, lido, theatre or bowling, will never be able to recapture the tourism of those days ever again. What a sad waste of a prime spot.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 3:09pm
Nice one , if it has any prices on are they in English or Napoleonic money prices, see the surveyors were out in the rain down there yesterday, wonder if they are setting to do phase III
Posted By: cathcart Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 3:14pm
we go most sundays to new brighton granny and its a hell of a lot busier than it was,blackpool isnt as busy as it used to be,but thats the modern way.in fact most places aint.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 3:21pm
A popular advert on the front dash of the trams and sides of buses & trolleybuses in 1960's Glasgow was "Go Gay at Butlins". No further comment !
Posted By: jimbob Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 5:51pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
A popular advert on the front dash of the trams and sides of buses & trolleybuses in 1960's Glasgow was "Go Gay at Butlins". No further comment !

come on Pinz, even you are old enought to know the word Gay had an entirly different meaning in the 50s&60s. Not allowed in this day and age to say the word we all used to describe the said people in those days.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 5:52pm
It has a list of B&B's and Hotels in the area and next door to me in Monk road was a B&B. The Red House Private Hotel Warren Drive would set you back 5 1/2 gns. per week full board. There's a street map of Wallasey, and the ferry cost 1/- or 1/6 return if you travelled with a child. Admission to the pier was 3d. Floral pavilion cost cost, 3/6 - 2/6 - 1/6 ..
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 7:04pm
I bet the Heritage Centre on Victoria Road would like to see that booklet (unless they already have one of course). Ah, those were the days, eh? In some respects, anyway!
Posted By: Tilly Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 8:47pm
Originally Posted by Max1967
this is a interesting find, anything else up there we should know about?

yep..found this book.

[Linked Image]

and these invites...
1 at the Masonic Hall in Manor road

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And One at the Hotel Victoria

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And This Ordanance survey map
[Linked Image]

Posted By: snowshoes Re: Gay New Brighton - 10th May 2012 10:10pm
Originally Posted by Tilly
It has a list of B&B's and Hotels in the area and next door to me in Monk road was a B&B. The Red House Private Hotel Warren Drive would set you back 5 1/2 gns. per week full board. There's a street map of Wallasey, and the ferry cost 1/- or 1/6 return if you travelled with a child. Admission to the pier was 3d. Floral pavilion cost cost, 3/6 - 2/6 - 1/6 ..

Hi Tilly. My parents ran a guest house in the late 50's and 60's on Ormiston Rd. It was called 'The Merivale'. Is it in there?

Peter
Posted By: Tatey Re: Gay New Brighton - 11th May 2012 7:04am
Originally Posted by Tilly

The Red House later became a private nursing home & I was born there! yes
Posted By: Helles Re: Gay New Brighton - 11th May 2012 9:46am
I can remember the Gay, Glorious New Brighton adverts.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral