Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Charing Cross - 21st Dec 2011 1:00pm

Charing Cross, looks like early sixties. Not even a MacDonalds...

Attached picture 1111charingcross.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: Charing Cross - 21st Dec 2011 1:50pm
Thanks - nice picture, but it puzzles me a bit.
I can't remember the traffic lights there, only the old roundabout until it was removed and the new lights installed. Note that one if the heads on the traffic lights is pointing towards the top of Grange Road, so it must have been two-way at the time.
I remember it when they were using flourescent tubes in the street lights - here and down Grange Road. In the centre of the roundabout the tube was vertical on top of the pole. If someone had been killed on the roads of the Borough, a red light was used insted.
The road surface looks fairly new in this shot, compared to the pictures in the fire station topic. The bus is probably a Guy with Massey bodywork. The schoolgirl on the right looks to be wearing a Christchurch Claughton (Borough Rd) blazer.
So I wonder when the roundabout was built?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Charing Cross - 21st Dec 2011 1:55pm
I think I'm right in saying the lights sat upon a small roundabout, followed later by a bigger roundabout, yes, traffic did go up and down Grange Rd.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Charing Cross - 21st Dec 2011 2:28pm
Is this the light you're talking about, Norton?

Attached picture birkcharingX.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: Charing Cross - 21st Dec 2011 2:35pm
Yes, that is the way I first remember it to be. Thanks.
Posted By: suey30 Re: Charing Cross - 21st Dec 2011 5:36pm
the light on the roundabout was used for the first time when my brother was killed on new chester rd,
Posted By: cathcart Re: Charing Cross - 22nd Dec 2011 5:30am
i remember the light flashing in the mid 50s when a police motorcyclist was killed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral