Forums
Posted By: bert1 Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 11th Dec 2011 8:48am
I was pottering about with the census's and wondered if John Laird (1805) whilst living at 63 the grandest house in 1861 knew living across the road from him in number 3 was a Mr David Williams a Boilermakers Labourer and his wife Ann. I can just see Elizabeth Laird peeping through the curtains asking "How the F... can they afford that" Next door to Mr Williams at number 4 was James T Vale, Physician, close by Augustas Clarke, Civil engineer and Patrick Magee, ship owner. Mr Williams seems more and more out of place.

At number 10 Governess Elizabeth Jones ran her Ladies Seminary with about 15 scholars, staff and servants and at number 40 was Mary Fitzmorris a Lodging House Keeper.

In 1881 William Laird, Mayor of Birkenhead 1880/81 lived at 61 whose census form reveals some interesting facts.

Below some snippets I hope you find interesting and please do add.

Attached picture 63.JPG
Attached picture 63 hamil.JPG
Attached picture 3 4.JPG
Attached picture 2 hamil.JPG
Attached picture 10.JPG
Attached picture 40.JPG
Attached picture w laird.JPG

Description: John Laird (1805) living in Cathcart St, 1841.
Attached picture john laird 1841.JPG
Attached picture laird pro.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 11th Dec 2011 9:07am
Can a mod please change the typo in the heading, thank you.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 11th Dec 2011 10:20am
It's possible the place was empty/gentry had gone on holiday and his missus was the caretaker and he worked elsewhere.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 11th Dec 2011 11:18am
Unless he was a joker, if he didn't live at the house he should have been recorded as visitor and perhaps his wife a servant or caretaker. In 1991 I was recorded as visitor in a holiday cottage in Scotland.
Posted By: Helles Re: Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 12th Dec 2011 9:44am
Just can't see Mrs Laird using profanities. I quite like the idea of a labourer thumbing his nose at the gentry instead of doffing the cap. Don't suppose it was like that really but I can dream.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 13th Dec 2011 8:18am
A little bit of help needed please, just for my own interest I wanted to glance the 1871 census for Hamilton Square to see who stuck around from 61 through to 81, It doesn't appear to be on my ancestry, it could be me (thicko), perhaps not transcribed or maybe Hamilton Sq was not for some unknown reason recorded in 71.
Posted By: delta6 Re: Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 13th Dec 2011 8:22am
i used to work at no.6 and 44/45.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 13th Dec 2011 7:32pm
i like this, very interesting, all those children! well they had no tele did they lol------------
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 14th Dec 2011 2:10pm
Hamilton Square is certainly in the 1871 Census, in Birkenhead Enumeration District 3. The bit you're after is RG10 Piece 3744 Folios 83-86, if that's any help.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Inhabitants of Hamilton Square. - 27th Dec 2011 9:35pm
Thanks Marty, I missed this post.
Cheers.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral