Forums
Posted By: pablo42 New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 8:00am

An old photo of the New Brighton lifeboat. I remember the Lifeboatmen drinking in the Perch Rock in New Brighton. A loud bang would be heard and the men would run out to the boat. There would always be more than was required to man the boat. The crest fallen lads who weren't on the boat would trudge back to the pub. George, the manager would save their pints until they returned. I had a lot of respect for thoses brave guys.

Attached picture 22nblifeboat.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 8:22am
Bravery and dedication right in front of your eyes, I've ignored a lot of charity tins in my time but I've never and never will ignore the Lifeboat tin. If there's one service that shouldn't be a charity, its this one.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 8:27am
So very true Bert. I disagree with the charity thing though. I want them to know how much we appreciate them
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 8:46am
My appreciation wouldn't wane no matter how they were funded.
Never understood how one of our emergency services should have to rely on charity. Still, stranger things happen at sea, as they say.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 9:03am
Tis a bit odd. I wonder why they were never brought under the Navys wing?
Posted By: bert1 Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 9:33am
Pablo, I don't know the answer to that but I sleep safe in the knowledge that I won't wake up in the mornings with half the Lifeboats gone due to cutbacks. However a very large noninterference government donation wouldn't go amiss.
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 9:47am
Two bangs or maroons to give them the official title Pablo. When they went off, you would hear men running down Egerton street, maybe a motorbike or two roaring down and occasionally a car. Lifeboat house was 99 Egerton street.

I've been on that boat in the photograph and know most of the names but can't see them fully.

George Crockford had the Perch in those days and it was just about the best pub around.

Quite a number of my ancestors served on it plus one uncle who is still alive.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 9:52am
A tricky situation maybe? If HMG assisted the Lifeboats financially in any way, it could have a effect on folks willing to pop the shekels in the tins. Like you Bert, the RNLI always get my dosh above a lot of others.

More advertising on what these selfless heroes do maybe ??
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 10:29am
Re the photo, that could be Bill Morris, extreme right. Never was on that boat, but was on Norman B Corlett a few times.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 10:42am
Originally Posted by Helles
Two bangs or maroons to give them the official title Pablo. When they went off, you would hear men running down Egerton street, maybe a motorbike or two roaring down and occasionally a car. Lifeboat house was 99 Egerton street.

I've been on that boat in the photograph and know most of the names but can't see them fully.

George Crockford had the Perch in those days and it was just about the best pub around.

Quite a number of my ancestors served on it plus one uncle who is still alive.

Nice one Helles. I couldn't remember Georges other name. I remember his slicked back hair. It was certainly the best pub back then. Had a few stay behinds there with the Lifeboatmen. Not been in there for a while. There were a few car drivers in the Perch and a lot of times they used to drive them down there. Nice memories
Posted By: pablo42 Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 10:44am
Originally Posted by bert1
Pablo, I don't know the answer to that but I sleep safe in the knowledge that I won't wake up in the mornings with half the Lifeboats gone due to cutbacks. However a very large noninterference government donation wouldn't go amiss.

That's so true Bert. Bloody cutting back on all the important stuff
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 11:58am
Originally Posted by Tatey
Re the photo, that could be Bill Morris, extreme right. Never was on that boat, but was on Norman B Corlett a few times.

Even blowing it up I can only recognise George Cross and George Stonall. Wasn't familiar with all the names though. Did know Bill Morris, he was the Coxswain but can't point him out.
Posted By: bazzoh Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 3:49pm
shes actually up for sale at the moment
http://www.nelsonsboats.co.uk/boatdescription.html?BoatID=152

baz
Posted By: LisaW Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 4:55pm
I think that may be my Husband's Grandad Syd Walker up front on the right?

Any idea of the year?
Posted By: parkgater Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 8th Dec 2011 6:12pm
I was mechanic at new brighton 1972-1976 my duties were to make sure that the tractor and boat were available at all times, the boat then was an atlantic 21 which was not a convential boat as shown above,short story,strolling to new brighton lifeboat station one beautiful july morning 1974,i opened the big door where the boat was kept,put the lights on,, and the place had been ransacked,but sadly the lifeboat station collection box had been forced open and contents taken,which could have been quite a lot,being the summer.The person or persons who did this i curse daily.
Posted By: parkgater Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 9th Dec 2011 4:12pm
Ideed it is Syd Walker we used to have a couple of pints every sundaay in the Perch Rock there used to be a picture of the same ccrew in the passage to the toilets.
Posted By: merseymaid Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 6th Jan 2012 12:36am
thats my dad holding the rail on right,i think my grandaa may be aboard as well.you dont mention the kids running after the dads carrying the sea boots,they could run faster without them so i remember doing it on more than one occasion,and get a clip round earhole if he missed the shout,i must know you,who are you?i bet your my Bro.
Posted By: jimbob Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 6th Jan 2012 9:56pm
On the subject of the Lifeboat service been a charity, in one way its a good job it is. Look whats happening to the Coastgaurd service as an example. Also you can bet the air/sea rescue service that is been taken away from the R.A.F and put out to private tender will in a few years be nothing like it is at present. Imagine man on the end of the winch line asks are you insured or for your credit card number before he hooks you.
Posted By: Freckle Re: New Brighton Lifeboat - 21st Apr 2020 12:55am
I used to live at in the Old Lifeboat house when I was kid. Moved out of the area in the 80's.

I remember my first night at the house, very clearly.My bedroom was the one above the solid black door, should know had my fingers trapped in it!! I woke up in the night, to find an older man, as clear as day sat on the chair next to my bed. I would describe him as a stereotypical Fisherman, weathered face, long beard and wild hair. I remember screaming at first and went to put my feet down to run to my mum and dad's room, only there was a dog lying on my rug, I think it was white. I had to jump of the end of my bed instead.

It wasn't a one off experience, but unsure when I stopped seeing him.

I have often wondered about the history of the house, with it being the old lifeboat house. But I haven't been able to find much history and to be fair I haven't spent a lot of time searching.

If anybody has any suggestions of where to start first please me know.

Thanks.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral