Forums
Posted By: yoller Brewery workers' excursion to New Brighton, 1904 - 6th Dec 2011 6:44pm
I found this booklet during a recent clearout and I’m not sure if it’s been featured on WikiWirral previously.

It is a 1983 Merseyside County Museums reprint of a booklet by the Bass brewery firm, giving details of a workers’ excursion to Liverpool and New Brighton on July 15, 1904.

The trippers were taken by train from the Midlands to Liverpool, then they could take the ferry over to New Brighton. I’m attaching the pages that deal with New Brighton – they make a fascinating read.

Attached picture brighton1a.jpg
Attached picture brighton1b.jpg
Attached picture brighton2a.jpg
Attached picture brighton2b.jpg
Attached picture brighton3a.jpg
Attached picture brighton3b.jpg
Attached picture brighton4a.jpg
Attached picture brighton4b.jpg
Attached picture brighton5a.jpg
Attached picture brighton5b.jpg
Attached picture brighton6a.jpg
Attached picture brighton6b.jpg
Attached picture brighton7a.jpg
Attached picture brighton7b.jpg
I've had this book for years. I can never get over how many special trains this company put on for its employees. It contains some information that I found humourous such as warnings about gentlemen discarding their cigarettes with ladies long dresses in mind. Fascinating look at social history of the time.
Cover of the booklet

Attached picture cover2.jpg
Great stuff.
absolutely fantastic, when i start my research for New Brighton, I hope to find many booklets like this, thank you helles, this is just simply amazing
The importance they put on advertising lavatories, Ladies and children free.
Originally Posted by bert1

is this were one would spend a penny?
Originally Posted by JackCarter
absolutely fantastic, when i start my research for New Brighton, I hope to find many booklets like this, thank you helles, this is just simply amazing

I'm not the originator. Can you explain what you are researching for? If you want to know about the town during the fifties and sixties just ask. My home and my playground.
Originally Posted by Helles

I'm not the originator. Can you explain what you are researching for? If you want to know about the town during the fifties and sixties just ask. My home and my playground.

can you remember my post for a uni dissertation that got rejected due to lack of knowledge on the subject by my professors.

well I was planning on creating my own book on the History of New Brighton. With possibly the fire of 1969 being the centre point.
have just seen that the post came from yoller, thanks yoller.
Originally Posted by bert1

is this were one would spend a penny?

I'm not sure how much it would have been in 1904 but I can certainly remember spending a penny in the 60s and 70s, just a few weeks ago it cost me 30p to spend a penny in Scotland, on saying that you could eat your dinner off the floor instead of seeing someones dinner on the floor, if you get my point.
haha, i understand.

if they can keep public loo's like that i would gladly pay the 30p, ive always heard the saying spending a penny, so somewere down the line that must have been the price.
haha, i understand.

if they can keep public loo's like that i would gladly pay the 30p, ive always heard the saying spending a penny, so somewere down the line that must have been the price.

Was when I were a lad but only in the sit down part. Used to wait for someone coming out and dive in before the door shut.

Jack I would have thought 1969 would be a little late unless you are talking about the decline, but what do I know?
yes the decline bit will be based on 1969 but obviously i will be exploiting the good years of New Brighton. Need to finish this year in uni before i get cracking.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral