Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Irving Theatre - 22nd Nov 2011 11:54am

A photo of the Irving Theatre. I think this was on the site of the Embassy in Borough Road. Is that right? It's marked down on my photo as Victoria Road. Wasn'tthat the old name of Borough Road?

Attached picture irvingtheatrevickyrd.jpg
Posted By: petethebike Re: Irving Theatre - 22nd Nov 2011 1:01pm
It was indeed the old name.There was a name plate at the top of Borough Road attached to the old library building (I think) saying Borough Road late Victoria Road. Couldn't have two Victoria Roads in the same borough now could we?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Irving Theatre - 22nd Nov 2011 1:03pm
Victoria Road was renamed Borough Road at the request of the fire brigade 1918ish? so as not to be confused with Victoria Road New Brighton if called out
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Irving Theatre - 22nd Nov 2011 2:21pm
Thanks for that guys. I've got it under Victoria Road New Brighton
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Irving Theatre - 22nd Nov 2011 3:29pm
Is that where the kingsland is today i think there was a picture house next to that building.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Irving Theatre - 22nd Nov 2011 3:45pm
The pic above is the Irving Theatre, Wallasey, the Kingsland is in Borough Rd, Birkenhead, the Plaza Picture house was close by.
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Irving Theatre - 22nd Nov 2011 5:40pm
If I'm not mistaken the building is still there its just been turned into the bingo. It certainly looks the same!
Posted By: Helles Re: Irving Theatre - 22nd Nov 2011 9:17pm
Originally Posted by Chorizo
If I'm not mistaken the building is still there its just been turned into the bingo. It certainly looks the same!

You are not mistaken!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral