Forums
Posted By: pablo42 Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 10:22am

An old photo of the Big house in Moreton. The date says 1940s, looks later to me. The left hand side of the pub used to be a fancy restaurant. I think it was silver service back then

Attached picture 22moretoncross1940s.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 10:27am

Another old photo of the cross in Moreton. The road to the left is Hoylake Road to Birkenhead. The shops are still there, but looking a lot different. I remember a hardware shop there being called Cushings. I used to go there for parafin. Not something you see much now. There was another place I used to get parafin. The Fellowship garage, just opposite Cadburys. It was a small vending machine just for parafin at the entrance to the garage

Attached picture 22moretoncross50s.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 10:46am

Another post card of Moreton. Looking up Hoylake Road towards Birkenhead. Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be a roundabout there. No date on this

Attached picture 22The20Cross20Moreton.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 11:01am

Moreton Cross looking towards the Big house. Not the first time I've seen cows in the cross...

Attached picture 22moretoncrosscows.jpg
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 11:02am
Notice the lack if cars and indeed people, must of been very tranquil back then.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 11:06am
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
Notice the lack if cars and indeed people, must of been very tranquil back then.

Notice the lack of litter back then too...
Posted By: Stegga Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 2:24pm
Originally Posted by pablo42
[Linked Image]

Moreton Cross looking towards the Big house. Not the first time I've seen cows in the cross...

The original Coach and Horses is still standing in front of the new, much grander version we have now.
My great grandfather was the landlord of the old one when the licence transfered to the new one on opening. I still have some literature from when he was there. If i can find it i'll see if i can post it up.
Posted By: Stegga Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 2:27pm
I've seen cows with bigger butt's than those old one's on the Cross just this week!
Posted By: Quank Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 3:35pm
Good photos. I remember Cushings Hardware shop too. They also delivered Coal and had a few coal wagons. Their shop was next door but one to the Army & Navy store. I used to buy parafin as well but from Star Motors on Hoylake Road. I think it cost 6d to fill a gallon can, which you took your own!
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 4:15pm
Great pictures - I enjoy seeing how things were. Going slightly off-topic, for which apologies - does anyone know if there are photos of the Moreton shanty town anywhere on this site? I haven't found any yet, but might not have been looking in the right place. My maternal grandmother and her sisters lived there for a while.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 5:44pm
There was a topic on here about the shanty town down at the shore. way back tho. maybe one of the moderators could find. MARK did a bit on it years ago!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 6:15pm
is this what you're looking for

Attached picture shanty_town_1926.jpg
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 6:19pm
Thanks Pablo42. Your collection of pictures and postcards are excellent. Most of the time they are images I have not seen before.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 6:27pm
When I was a child in Wallasey we used to call the area Moreton/Leasowe Road on shoreside 'The Indian Village'
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 8:18pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
Thanks Pablo42. Your collection of pictures and postcards are excellent. Most of the time they are images I have not seen before.

Got thousands here, mostly of old Liverpool though. A lot of them are new. I'll put some up of the city centre, that way the folk on here might recognise somewhere
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 8:20pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
Great pictures - I enjoy seeing how things were. Going slightly off-topic, for which apologies - does anyone know if there are photos of the Moreton shanty town anywhere on this site? I haven't found any yet, but might not have been looking in the right place. My maternal grandmother and her sisters lived there for a while.

I'll have a look. I have that one that Bert posted, so I'll not put that up. I'll have a mosey for you
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 8:21pm
Well spotted Stegga. I thought that was where the banks were. I've not seen many photos of the old Coach

Originally Posted by Stegga
[Linked Image]

The original Coach and Horses is still standing in front of the new, much grander version we have now.
My great grandfather was the landlord of the old one when the licence transfered to the new one on opening. I still have some literature from when he was there. If i can find it i'll see if i can post it up.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 17th Nov 2011 10:18pm
I've seen cows with bigger butt's than those old one's on the Cross just this week!

It's a good job no women can see this, or we'd both be in trouble...
Posted By: Stegga Re: Moreton - 18th Nov 2011 12:13pm
Heres one for you Pablo. This is one of the old Coach and Horses after exchange of the licence. The new pub is visable behind the old one and the name signs have been removed from the old building.

Attached picture Moreton,_old_coach_pub.jpg
Posted By: Stegga Re: Moreton - 18th Nov 2011 2:07pm
If you look closely, on the picture with the cows on, the old coach and horses has gone. Only the cottages that were attached to it remain. It was only looking at the roofline on the last pic i posted that i notices the row in the "cow pic" didn't step down, it's the same roofline for the full length of the row.
I wonder how long the cottages stood there for in front of the new pub?
Posted By: harriet Re: Moreton - 18th Nov 2011 8:11pm
Brilliant Pics thanks for sharing
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 19th Nov 2011 10:06am
Heres one for you Pablo. This is one of the old Coach and Horses after exchange of the licence. The new pub is visable behind the old one and the name signs have been removed from the old building.

Great photo Stegga. Interesting stuff
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 22nd Nov 2011 11:42am

A fairly recent view of the Plough in Moreton. Very sad to see that go, but I believe it was a bit rough near the end. I used to go into the Public Bar there for darts matches. The entrance to that was on the left of the building

Attached picture 22ploughnew1.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Moreton - 25th Nov 2011 10:06am
I've just posted this in Up & Coming Events; copying here for info.

'Memories of Moreton and Leasowe: Coastal Communities'.
I've just been handed a flyer about this, by a colleague. Moreton History Group is looking for people who'd like to share any memories of Moreton and Leasowe before the 1930s; they're also interested in documents and photographs, and recording any memories including anything about living in the shanty town. They invite people to join them for a chat at 2pm on Tuesday November 29th at Moreton Library. Sounds good!
Posted By: Helles Re: Moreton - 25th Nov 2011 11:29am
Plough.

Attached picture 2_280_Plough_Inn,_Moreton.jpg
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Moreton - 25th Nov 2011 11:36am
Well spotted Stegga. I thought that was where the banks were. I've not seen many photos of the old Coach

[Linked Image]

Thats a great picture , i love to see piucs of the past smile
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Moreton - 27th Nov 2011 1:19pm
Hi Pablo,
Can you tell from your original photograph the words on the building that the cows are heading toward?
Could this have been another pub / beerhouse at Moreton Cross?
The second word seems to have three letters, possibly MAN or HAL (from Hall).

Attached picture Image1.jpg
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Moreton - 27th Nov 2011 1:24pm
As previously mentioned, Moreton History Group invitation - details here - www.greasby.btck.co.uk/11Nov29
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Moreton - 27th Nov 2011 5:58pm
Based on other published photos of the building the sign actually says District Bank.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 28th Nov 2011 3:20pm
Originally Posted by greasby_lad
Hi Pablo,
Can you tell from your original photograph the words on the building that the cows are heading toward?
Could this have been another pub / beerhouse at Moreton Cross?
The second word seems to have three letters, possibly MAN or HAL (from Hall).

Bloody 'ell Greasby Lad. I can barely see the sodding cows...
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 28th Nov 2011 3:21pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Plough.

Smashing photo Helles, nice one
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 7th Dec 2011 9:30am

Another old shot of Moreton Cross, looking towards Upton Road

Attached picture 22mcrossold1.jpg
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Moreton - 14th Dec 2011 3:52pm

Moreton, Hoylake Road. Looking towards the Cross. The Big House is on the left

Attached picture 22Moreton20Hoylake20Road-1.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Moreton - 14th Dec 2011 10:52pm
It astonishes me how WIDE that road was, when there were so few cars about!
Posted By: just_me Re: Moreton - 26th Jan 2012 5:30pm
Long shot but i am looking for information on a betting shop (bungerlow) in Salacre lane moreton, (by Sacred Heart Church)think it was called Roy Hood, thanks in advance

x
Posted By: Stegga Re: Moreton - 26th Jan 2012 6:38pm
Don't know if you have the road name wrong but Salacre Lane is in Upton. There used to be a little betting shop in Sandbrook Lane in Moreton. I went there with my nan a couple of times in the 70s to put her Grand National bets on. Had to wait outside mind. I don't remember what it was called though.
I'm pretty sure it was in the building tha Arrowe Flooring Ltd occupy now. Just type in 28 Sandbrook Lane, Moreton in google maps to have a look.
Posted By: just_me Re: Moreton - 26th Jan 2012 7:16pm
Thanks for the quick reply Stegga, yes been onto my mum and she had given me the wrong name road(she asked me to find info on it) so just told her your reply and she agreed it was that road, if you remember the name of the place let me know please or if anyone knows when it went would be a help x

thanks again in advance x
Posted By: Helles Re: Moreton - 26th Jan 2012 8:31pm
Don't think you will be able to claim the money after all this time anyway! laugh
Posted By: just_me Re: Moreton - 27th Jan 2012 8:00am
Ha Ha i wish!!

just some information needed for a family member x

xx
Posted By: sailor Re: Moreton - 15th Jan 2013 6:48am
it was silver service,also it had a cocktail bar.i worked their when ANDREWS was the licencee.1963
Posted By: fillbo Re: Moreton - 15th Jan 2013 11:20am
Originally Posted by just_me
Thanks for the quick reply Stegga, yes been onto my mum and she had given me the wrong name road(she asked me to find info on it) so just told her your reply and she agreed it was that road, if you remember the name of the place let me know please or if anyone knows when it went would be a help x

thanks again in advance x

I think the name of the bookies was Russ and Hudds,no idea when it closed.
Posted By: fillbo Re: Moreton - 15th Jan 2013 11:34am

Another old shot of Moreton Cross, looking towards Upton Road

click
some info about the shops on the left in this photo
© Wirral-Wikiwirral