Forums
Posted By: DanLongman Mythical Mangles - 23rd Oct 2011 11:27am

In 1843 households in the area were issued with a warning to be on the look out for a pack of cunning criminals quick to target the gullible. Locals were warned against a gang of women knocking at wealthy properties and enquiring as to whether what clothes were ready for the mangle. If questioned as to the whereabouts of the regular washerwoman, suspicions were calmed by stating that she was either otherwise engaged elsewhere or too unwell for work. In one particularly brazen case a crafty thief waited in the owner’s kitchen a full fifteen minutes before making off with numerous articles of clothing never to be seen again oshocked

Discover Merseyside's yesteryear like never before. Historic crime, miscellaneous titbits, local books, nostalgic pics & many more!

http://www.facebook.com/DanielKLongman

http://danielklongman.tumblr.com/

Attached picture the-jolly-washerwoman.jpg
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Mythical Mangles - 23rd Oct 2011 11:37am
She looks like her face has been through a mangle. Crime was an issues back in the day aswell I see!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Mythical Mangles - 23rd Oct 2011 11:46am
Originally Posted by Sanchez
She looks like her face has been through a mangle.

...scrubs up nice though.
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Mythical Mangles - 23rd Oct 2011 11:58am
It does dosent it scrub up nice
Posted By: bert1 Re: Mythical Mangles - 23rd Oct 2011 12:17pm
They would certainly have had more reasons to perform those type of scams in those days, the social food chain being what it was and keeping in mind the lack of welfare help.
I suppose its similar to the modern day scam set up by bogus charity's leaving plastic bags to fill up with unwanted clothes.

Scrubs up well though Geekus, I'm losing the will to live,
anyway thats me off my soapbox.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Mythical Mangles - 23rd Oct 2011 12:44pm
What was that other scam (back in the 1980's) when Social Security allowed people to claim hundreds of £££'s from the Social Fund for alleged 'stolen washing' from back gardens?

Even with welfare help some people try to milk it.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Mythical Mangles - 23rd Oct 2011 6:38pm
Some one who performs a scam is a THIEF, ROBBER,{CRIMINAL} be it these days or in the days of no social food chain, welfare or out else.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral